U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2011, 06:39 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,625,782 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportyandMisty View Post
I am gonna call bull on that. First of all, Lake Las Vegas is not the whole area of Las Vegas. To diss a whole metro over a single development that was stupid and ill conceived to start with borders on stupidity. If people want to live next to a lake, they will move to Lake Mead/Boulder City. Digging a lake is dumb idea. Then the article talks about our terrible crime and high cost of living. Right now you can buy a nice pad in safe nice areas such as Sun City/Summerlin for a song. Then they want to try to tell you that "Austin Texas" is a better place.........huh?? Come again???

Old 07-27-2011, 06:43 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,625,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MomMom View Post
Wow, you said a mouthful about beautiful upstate NY irishspy,

Quite frankly I don't blame you for wanting to get out and live a little and a bit comfortably at that.

Much good luck in advance, with your relo and future retirement to beautiful Las Vegas!
I was in Sullivan County NY once. It was in August of 1969. If it wasn't for all those other people, it would have been nice!

Old 07-27-2011, 06:54 PM

719 posts, read 1,316,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishspy View Post
The article author must think people retiring have no brains. Here are my reasons on why I will be moving to Las Vegas next year when I retire vs where I live now upstate nys
1. 330 days of sunshine vs 8 months of winter 2 monthes of summer and we do not know what to call the other 2 months.
2. Low property taxes and school 35% tax and a 3% cap vs 100% no cap out of sight assesments.
3. Housing prices retirees can afford vs. living in the boonies because it is all we can afford.
4. Restaurants galore within a safe driving distance vs going to a major city hours away to do so.
5. Location close to other areas to visit vs having to take weeks off to have a vacation
6. Entertainment in vegas it comes to us vs. not having to going to it.
7. Being able to work part time and retiring vs having to stay in a full time job just to survive.
8. Being able to play golf almost year around vs a 4 month season.
9. no bugs or humidity vs black fly season and 90 degrees and 70 % humidity.
10. Gambling if desired but great people watching areas.
Retiring to the south to humid buggy snakes and laid back northerners go south to retire and die vs going west to retire to live. That is the difference.

Above are exactly the reasons I am moving out there in about eight weeks.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:56 PM

719 posts, read 1,316,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by XFILESMULDER View Post
Hey clueless las Vegas and the state of Nevada rank higher in the cost of living then a majority of states. Youíre just comparing New York. Itís like comparing one dump to the other.
If you hate Las Vegas so much, why waste time here on the forum? I really don't get why Vegas haters spend their time here. It would be a waste of time for me if I felt the way they do.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:08 PM

15,756 posts, read 33,441,545 times
This is a problem that will reoccur periodically. It deals with the fact that Nevada is pretty much one big city and one small city and not much else.

It is actually the third most urban of the states after NY and CA. That is based on the percent of the population living under dense urban statistics.

Las Vegas or Clark County will never make a top ten on crime. About the middle third among MSAs...which is the only real way to get at Las Vegas. Metropolitan Statistical Areas are those geographic areas sharing a common economy.

So when they quote crime they are effectively comparing Clark County and Reno to the states...which mostly have large rural and suburban enclaves lowering their numbers. Properly Las Vegas is an area of moderate crime...and Henderson is an area of quite low crime.

Las Vegas is just about on the national average on cost of living and its pay rate is still pretty good. So LV trades off well against most areas. Certainly so against our near neighbors in CA and AZ.

All the things about housing are of course true and should be an immense attraction to a retiree. Best buy in the US.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:10 PM

3,977 posts, read 6,563,438 times
I think a Better state motto would be 'Vegas has haters'

Jonathan

Old 07-27-2011, 07:39 PM

2,038 posts, read 3,745,778 times
Just another gimmicky, oh-read-me list article with zero substance to backup the dubious claims.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:48 PM

72 posts, read 94,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Makes no sense to me.

We have reasonable housing and taxes. There's always something to do and the weather is great. Wages are low here and that means the cost of living has to be relatively low if the want to fill those low wage jobs. Las Vegas is full of bargains and that will attract people who want to retire.
It makes a lot of sense. My mom and dad had to move out of Vegas due to the medical. Vegas sucks big time when it comes to medical services. Also, Vegas has HIGH electricity costs, car insurance, car registration fees, water fees and it goes on and on.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:50 PM

72 posts, read 94,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olecapt View Post
This is a problem that will reoccur periodically. It deals with the fact that Nevada is pretty much one big city and one small city and not much else.

It is actually the third most urban of the states after NY and CA. That is based on the percent of the population living under dense urban statistics.

Las Vegas or Clark County will never make a top ten on crime. About the middle third among MSAs...which is the only real way to get at Las Vegas. Metropolitan Statistical Areas are those geographic areas sharing a common economy.

So when they quote crime they are effectively comparing Clark County and Reno to the states...which mostly have large rural and suburban enclaves lowering their numbers. Properly Las Vegas is an area of moderate crime...and Henderson is an area of quite low crime.

Las Vegas is just about on the national average on cost of living and its pay rate is still pretty good. So LV trades off well against most areas. Certainly so against our near neighbors in CA and AZ.

All the things about housing are of course true and should be an immense attraction to a retiree. Best buy in the US.
I can understand how one article might have incorrect facts. But when you have tons of articles from different news organizations talking how BAD Vegas is, people should listen.

Old 07-27-2011, 07:53 PM

15,756 posts, read 33,441,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tagalog View Post
I can understand how one article might have incorrect facts. But when you have tons of articles from different news organizations talking how BAD Vegas is, people should listen.
Actually this one did not talk about Las Vegas. It talked about Clark County and used Nevada statistics.

There are lots of articles that go the other way. But there will always be members of Dyn's club who don't read the fine print.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement