U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 06:19 PM

973 posts, read 1,489,858 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I've been posting on several threads each day including this one and another current one, "Fashion for Retirees"...and thought your post was on the Fashion thread, not this one, and thus my response. Must be dementia setting in, even though I am still young and beautiful....

LOL.... well at first I had to go back to make sure I was on the right one before responding! So there!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 06:21 PM

433 posts, read 992,192 times
If you think about those questions you may have your answer as to whether you're dressed appropriately or should stop shopping at VS. Yes, I think we're close to the same age.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:21 PM

8,628 posts, read 13,894,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
Anyone dealing with health issues are bound to become depressed & anxious at times. Especially if they come on to you out of the blue.

Sadly, our society is hung up on age. I have known people who freaked out when they tuned 30. As I am sure you have been told, 70 is not old. Read & learn about people who are living or have lived fulfilled lives after the age of 70. To name a few: Grandma Moses after experiencing severe arthritis in her fingers and hands had to give up her needlework but decided to learn how to paint. George Burns experienced a surge in his career after the age of 80. Betty White & Tony Bennett are still very much in demand. Barbra Streisand, Aretha Franklin & Carole King are nearing 70 but still continue to make music.

There are millions of ordinary people in their 70's who are enjoying life while giving back to society, if that is their mission. You can do the same.

You live in a beautiful state, especially this time of year. You do not have to get on a flight to experience the beauty that surrounds you. Absorb it all everyday because it will make you feel better. Also, try to be grateful of the positives that came out of your health challenges. You probably know how devastating diabetes can be, so to be free from that disease is a true blessing. Not to mention the benefits you will experience from the weight loss. At this time, try and concentrate on regaining your full health.

I don't mean to be preachy, but you do have a lot of living to do.
Yes , I do know all that, I am guessing that the anxiety and depression that came around after I beat the Cancer has deeper roots. Maybe the fact that Mortality hit me , along with the stupid age thing. I am still battling the mental with some Medical help including meds.
Thanks for the pep talk , its always welcome. Today was a good one , I am feeling better....next week may not be so however.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:23 PM

433 posts, read 992,192 times
Curmudgeon, the thread title is descriptive. If you're not interested in the content, there are lots of other topics in this forum.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:24 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,982,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Sorry, ladies, but isn't this conversation becoming a wee bit shallow and drifting away from retirement?
Oh come on Curmudge, talking about sexiness, we haven't had this much fun in years! I bet this thread itself is getting a lot of "hits"
Attached Thumbnails
Am I in denial?  Has anyone else felt this way besides me?-images-1.jpeg  

Last edited by RiverBird; 08-02-2011 at 06:37 PM..

Old 08-02-2011, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Sorry, ladies, but isn't this conversation becoming a wee bit shallow and drifting away from retirement?
Maybe a bit, but it all deals with my "mindset" as I approach this milestone in my life; for my age is telling me one thing, but my mind and heart is telling me another. I don't really want retirement to change my outward appearance, and this is my quandary, for I am afraid it might. Does that make sense??

Old 08-02-2011, 06:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcaciaRose View Post
If you think about those questions you may have your answer as to whether you're dressed appropriately or should stop shopping at VS. Yes, I think we're close to the same age.

Gotcha...thank you and that is just what I may have needed to think about in order to arrive at my decision.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:32 PM

419 posts, read 658,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Yes , I do know all that, I am guessing that the anxiety and depression that came around after I beat the Cancer has deeper roots. Maybe the fact that Mortality hit me , along with the stupid age thing. I am still battling the mental with some Medical help including meds.
Thanks for the pep talk , its always welcome. Today was a good one , I am feeling better....next week may not be so however.
One day at a time. You will get there. God bless you!

Old 08-02-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
I think that pep talk was great. I was thinking about how to respond to you, and then saw what SC had written, and thought it was wonderful.

It must be hard to face your own mortality and that would put any type of "age denial" in proper perspective, I think. But the mind does work wonders if you do think positive. I am glad today was good for you and hope it will continue.

Old 08-02-2011, 06:37 PM

419 posts, read 658,079 times
Quote:
Yeah! Can't believe I allowed myself to get sucked into responding to this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or