U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 06:43 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,985,208 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Yes , I do know all that, I am guessing that the anxiety and depression that came around after I beat the Cancer has deeper roots. Maybe the fact that Mortality hit me , along with the stupid age thing. I am still battling the mental with some Medical help including meds.
Thanks for the pep talk , its always welcome. Today was a good one , I am feeling better....next week may not be so however.
Being hit with a major illness can knock the punch out for a while, but it sounds like you are a fighter. Illness plus a certain age is a double whammy. It's amazing to me every morning that I wake up, I have to check to make sure I'm still all in one piece. Just know that you are not alone, and we're all in this with you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 07:26 PM

8,628 posts, read 13,896,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Being hit with a major illness can knock the punch out for a while, but it sounds like you are a fighter. Illness plus a certain age is a double whammy. It's amazing to me every morning that I wake up, I have to check to make sure I'm still all in one piece. Just know that you are not alone, and we're all in this with you.
Thank you also...for caring.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:36 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,497,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Oh come on Curmudge, talking about sexiness, we haven't had this much fun in years! I bet this thread itself is getting a lot of "hits"
Gotta keep up my membership in good standing with the Curmudgeon League, ya know.

Old 08-02-2011, 07:40 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,862,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Thank you also...for caring.
I was also touched by your post . . . I am sorry you had to go through that. A little more than a year ago, I was sick for one solid month and it was horrible . . .

I think, in retrospect, I may have been detoxing from a lot of things . . .I started eating a more organic diet. I am studying Holistic Health and there is something called a "Healing Crisis" that happens when you detox . . . there are so many additives in foods, etc. I try not to take any drugs except synthetic Thyroid.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I felt for you and I am sure, as we all get older, these things are going to pop up and it sure is nice to have a support group!

Old 08-02-2011, 11:24 PM

9,912 posts, read 9,307,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanwoman54 View Post
When I turned 50, I freaked out when AARP first approached me,college find me on FB and I look at their photos, I think: Dang, they are old! And, I really do not see them in me.

You are not alone. I went sort of crazy when I turned 50 ... it was like I was 30 and I had this black hole I couldn't account for twenty years. I lost weight until I looked anorexic, bought new clothes that were to young for me. I called AARP and told them to remove my name immediately from their mailing list.

I went in to see my doctor, he is 3 years older than me. He listened patiently to me and then told me. "There is one thing I can tell you, you will never be invited to be a motivational speaker at our local senior citizens center. You will depress the hell out of them, because you have certainly depressed me."

He offered me Prozac thinking I might be depressed. Nope I didn't want that I wasn't depressed I was nuts. He suggested seeing my OB/GYN doc and I said nope not the mini-paws. He said to get off of whatever crazy diet I was on and gain some weight I looked bad and I thought I looked good!

Before I returned to the 'real world' I had bought myself a motorcyle and never rode one in my life. A sports car and I should have realized I was getting older then, crawling into that thing, so low that it felt like my rear end was dragging and bouncing on the asphalt. Then the problem of crawling out of the thing gracefully.

Then ... my first grandchild was born. WOW I am a grandmother and I was there to see the birth. First birth I got to see when my children were born they knocked you out and woke you up and said you have a boy or girl. This was my awakening and back to the real world for me.

I am just thankful I had a loving family that put up with my crazies.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:43 AM

973 posts, read 1,490,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
You are not alone. I went sort of crazy when I turned 50 ... it was like I was 30 and I had this black hole I couldn't account for twenty years. I lost weight until I looked anorexic, bought new clothes that were to young for me. I called AARP and told them to remove my name immediately from their mailing list.

I went in to see my doctor, he is 3 years older than me. He listened patiently to me and then told me. "There is one thing I can tell you, you will never be invited to be a motivational speaker at our local senior citizens center. You will depress the hell out of them, because you have certainly depressed me."

He offered me Prozac thinking I might be depressed. Nope I didn't want that I wasn't depressed I was nuts. He suggested seeing my OB/GYN doc and I said nope not the mini-paws. He said to get off of whatever crazy diet I was on and gain some weight I looked bad and I thought I looked good!

Before I returned to the 'real world' I had bought myself a motorcyle and never rode one in my life. A sports car and I should have realized I was getting older then, crawling into that thing, so low that it felt like my rear end was dragging and bouncing on the asphalt. Then the problem of crawling out of the thing gracefully.

Then ... my first grandchild was born. WOW I am a grandmother and I was there to see the birth. First birth I got to see when my children were born they knocked you out and woke you up and said you have a boy or girl. This was my awakening and back to the real world for me.

I am just thankful I had a loving family that put up with my crazies.
HEHEHE well this brought a smile to my face as you regaled your tale of woe!!! Nice writing! But with that said, I am glad that your "sanity" has returned. I am a new G'ma as well and I agree with you that it is a great feeling and really "grounds" us in reality. BUT they (as I will have a second one in Oct), has not kept me from my plans of living 6 months in Europe and 6 here at least for 2 years, and my children are good with that.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:51 AM

10,361 posts, read 9,388,551 times
I see an 'older' gal in the mirror, older than I feel anyway. I feel younger now than I did 30 or so years ago. Maybe it's because that now I'm retired I can live the life I've wanted since I started working back in 1964. I never plan to grow up, what for?

Old 08-03-2011, 06:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I was also touched by your post . . . I am sorry you had to go through that. A little more than a year ago, I was sick for one solid month and it was horrible . . .

I think, in retrospect, I may have been detoxing from a lot of things . . .I started eating a more organic diet. I am studying Holistic Health and there is something called a "Healing Crisis" that happens when you detox . . . there are so many additives in foods, etc. I try not to take any drugs except synthetic Thyroid.

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I felt for you and I am sure, as we all get older, these things are going to pop up and it sure is nice to have a support group!
Were you on Meds? With out them , I don't think I could have survived.. Now as I get better ( hope) , getting off slowly will be another challenge... There is always that chance the Cancer could come back, that's a worry, every three months with the ultra Sounds, but I am learning to handle it....Things move slowly in rural places. The trips to Mayo in snow storms, and all that was not so bad, it was in not knowing I think that set off the depression. I think the not knowing leading up to the Operation was the worse thing. The pain was intense after. getting a tonsil removed is no small matter when you are old.
I should be on top of the world, Cancer free, body of a much younger guy,diabetes free , 30 lbs lighter I know, so, I won't be a complainer others are much worse off than me. Its those EMS rides to the Hospital that are embarrassing, and expensive, I must learn to control.my IBS and chest pains that are gas and an upset upper GI., and not a heart attack..I had one Sunday at the Art fair...I told them , but no one would listen, so off I went for 2-5 hours. This happens about twice a year, and no one really knows whats wrong other than my IBS which I have had for many years, and many EMS rides, all over the Country.
The bottom line is , you can learn to handle a lot of bad things, including pain, but its the worry in your head that's so hard to control.I am not there yet, but am working on it. Thanks to all the folks who are reading between the lines and offering their support . Having a understanding wife helps a lot, but, friends and family can only take so much....That's just one more reason turning 70 is so traumatic.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:08 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,497,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I see an 'older' gal in the mirror, older than I feel anyway. I feel younger now than I did 30 or so years ago. Maybe it's because that now I'm retired I can live the life I've wanted since I started working back in 1964. I never plan to grow up, what for?
Absolutely! You have to grow older but there's nothing that says you have to grow up!

Old 08-03-2011, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Retirement is not all great, for everyone.... I did my wild stuff when I was in my mid thirties. Now I pay , in old Age. Being creative and retired often takes a lot of funding. AS well I have had to sell all my toys to fund retirement, so, there are other ways to look at retirement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or