U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-29-2011, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Central Florida
973 posts, read 1,489,574 times
Reputation: 1098

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
OK let's everyone post our photos on a separate link, without our names, and have others judge how old we look. Would we be honest???
I am not toooooo sure about this one....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-29-2011, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Maryland
1,534 posts, read 3,781,464 times
Reputation: 2307
A perspective I've found useful - I'm not really aging, my "vintage" is just maturing, as all fine wines must do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Wisconsin
21,538 posts, read 44,002,416 times
Reputation: 15140
One thing I am reminded of, however, is a comment my now deceased aunt made about 16 years ago. She was in her mid-80s then. We went to dinner one night and I clearly, to this day, can see her standing in the vestibule of the restaurant, when she said to me in all seriousness "I feel like I'm getting old." As though this was a revelation to her. So, it may be a while before any of us in our 60s or 70s feel 'old.'

My aunt died at the age of 91.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 04:44 PM
 
7,339 posts, read 16,641,998 times
Reputation: 4567
Hey, you've got your picture in your profile and getting comments on it......one up on us!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanwoman54 View Post
I am not toooooo sure about this one....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 07:07 PM
 
Location: earth?
7,288 posts, read 10,855,099 times
Reputation: 8956
I study Buddhism and it is a reality that we are all going to get old and die (if we don't die before we get old). To not come to terms with this is to be in denial.

Facelifts don't change the fact that your natural body is aging. I think it is much healthier just to deal with it.

It is not pleasant and can be shocking, but I think acceptance is the way to go.

Look in the mirror in good light. Give it a real good look. If you are honest, you might be in for a few shocks.

I don't color my hair anymore - I do try to eat healthy, and take care of myself (get massages and manicures/pedicures, etc.)

I think it is more important to feel good than to look good - I would love to look 20 again, but that is never going to happen.

I don't like aging but there are a lot of things I don't like and have to accept.

I think authenticity is far more interesting than fake hair color and pulled back skin (if you want to read something grisly, read how they do facelifts - they actually peel the skin off your face and snip the excess off! - No thanks!).

If more people were interested in "being real," the society would not be such a materialistic, shallow mess.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 07:11 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,479,691 times
Reputation: 29071
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilgrim21784 View Post
A perspective I've found useful - I'm not really aging, my "vintage" is just maturing, as all fine wines must do.
I prefer to thimk of myself as "seasoned."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 07:49 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,973,893 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I prefer to thimk of myself as "seasoned."
Curmudgeon, you've established yourself as a "Salty Old Curmudgeon"--way to go~~!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-29-2011, 09:31 PM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,479,691 times
Reputation: 29071
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Curmudgeon, you've established yourself as a "Salty Old Curmudgeon"--way to go~~!
Thank you, my dear. It takes a lot of work to achieve that status. For the OP, an aging visage helps!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2011, 03:47 AM
 
Location: Central Florida
973 posts, read 1,489,574 times
Reputation: 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
One thing I am reminded of, however, is a comment my now deceased aunt made about 16 years ago. She was in her mid-80s then. We went to dinner one night and I clearly, to this day, can see her standing in the vestibule of the restaurant, when she said to me in all seriousness "I feel like I'm getting old." As though this was a revelation to her. So, it may be a while before any of us in our 60s or 70s feel 'old.'

My aunt died at the age of 91.

Love it! I hope that will be me! Thanks for sharing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2011, 03:56 AM
 
Location: Central Florida
973 posts, read 1,489,574 times
Reputation: 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I study Buddhism and it is a reality that we are all going to get old and die (if we don't die before we get old). To not come to terms with this is to be in denial.

Facelifts don't change the fact that your natural body is aging. I think it is much healthier just to deal with it.

It is not pleasant and can be shocking, but I think acceptance is the way to go.

Look in the mirror in good light. Give it a real good look. If you are honest, you might be in for a few shocks.

I don't color my hair anymore - I do try to eat healthy, and take care of myself (get massages and manicures/pedicures, etc.)

I think it is more important to feel good than to look good - I would love to look 20 again, but that is never going to happen.

I don't like aging but there are a lot of things I don't like and have to accept.

I think authenticity is far more interesting than fake hair color and pulled back skin (if you want to read something grisly, read how they do facelifts - they actually peel the skin off your face and snip the excess off! - No thanks!).

If more people were interested in "being real," the society would not be such a materialistic, shallow mess.
Thanks for responding as I like reading different viewpoints about this.

I know I am going to die; I just would prefer to not get "old" before I do (which will be a state of mind more so than body). BUT...What I am in denial is, I think, is the fact that time has flown by and I AM now ready to retire, and that I am at that "magic" number without having felt aches or pains or anything really that often shows a person he/she is there, esp. compared to many of my friends who can rattle off a litany of drugs that they are taking that I have no clue what they do. So I am feeling very good.

And when I look at my florescent bathroom light, what I described IS what I see... I am getting older; and to be honest, I would NOT want to look 20 again as physically, I can lift more weight now than I could back then. Plus I was more insecure about my looks and always was trying to "please"....but now, I only want to please me!

And as far as facelifts and coloring one's hair, I think it is just a matter of what makes one happy. And as for me, what will make me happy is that I want my outside to match my inside for as long as possible.

Regards

Last edited by Sagitarrius48; 07-30-2011 at 04:02 AM.. Reason: added more info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top