U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-30-2011, 06:23 PM
 
Location: Florida
4,365 posts, read 3,702,696 times
Reputation: 4111

Advertisements

If you enjoy working keep on working.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-30-2011, 06:31 PM
 
Location: Near a river
16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times
Reputation: 15649
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
A few months back I saw in our local paper that 1,000 new people became members of the senior center. That figure seems high to me for new members, so maybe it includes people renewing their memberships. Just don't know. I do know that retirees from other areas are discovering our town/city and are moving in at a steady pace.
The one time I visited Venice, Italy, it was going around that the mayor was making it get around that the city was infested with all kinds of things including rats, as the story goes so that people would stay away and the place could be saved from being overrun. Maybe you should start spreading rumors....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2011, 07:35 PM
 
Location: Arizona
419 posts, read 658,079 times
Reputation: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The one time I visited Venice, Italy, it was going around that the mayor was making it get around that the city was infested with all kinds of things including rats, as the story goes so that people would stay away and the place could be saved from being overrun. Maybe you should start spreading rumors....
Excellent idea! Big Foot and his decendents discovered living on Bay's mountain. Decending on local neighborhoods mutilating children, pets and anyone else in their sights and escaping back to the mountain. Law enforcement helpless. I like it.

Gawd, I am going to have nightmares tonight.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2011, 07:38 PM
 
7,339 posts, read 16,646,140 times
Reputation: 4567
Americanwoman54, I have a thread on this forum about "acting your age". I have met men that are my age (62) and some of them definitely don't act like I do! They were much more quiet and reserved. I can be pretty mouthy, humorous with some sarcasm thrown in. In other words, I wouldn't need a mic for people to hear me in a room! My wife loves my personality and tells some people "never a dull moment in our home!" But, there are some people that definitely don't share her enthusiasm about my personality. There are times that my 1/2 brother (66) can't stand my humor/sarcasm over the phone and I have to tell him (kindly) "dude chill out".......and he doesn't like hearing me say that either. My wife's sister (66) doesn't understand my humor a lot of times........a number of things I say to her, go right over her head. I ask my wife "will she ever get out of the closet" and my wife says "no, she been this way for years". When the family was enjoying a weekend of boating at their cottage, my wife's sister was not even with them. She's very religious and wouldn't miss a Sunday church service.

Anyway, I remember not to long ago, we had our 20' boat out cruising in open water, heading back to the ramp area. A 30' cabin cruiser crossed in front of us and I couldn't slow down enough for it's wake.......I yelled at my wife "hold on" as we hit it and became somewhat airborne! I think 3/4 of our boat came out of the water and, after coming back down, we looked at each other with big smiles and yelled "wow, what a ride!" Later that day, we looked at each other and said, "you know, that scared the holly crap out of me!"
A lot of people will say "you're only as old as you feel", WELLLLLLLLL with some of the aches and pains we feel at times, we definitely feel our "early 60's"!

Last edited by LoveBoating; 07-30-2011 at 07:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-30-2011, 09:20 PM
 
Location: Arizona
419 posts, read 658,079 times
Reputation: 862
This thread has brought to my mind the movie "Titanic". The aged Rose played so brilliantly by the late actress Gloria Stuart left me feeling what a beautiful woman. Especially the scene where she walked to the bow of the boat and tossed her necklace overboard. I found beauty in her wrinkles, eyes, hands and persona. Although the story did not tell of her life from the young girl on the Titanic to age 101, I just felt this was a woman who's life was well lived. She had a loving grandaughter and young people who were interested in hearing her story. Not an old lady who had been cast aside because of her age or physical limitations. In many ways, I felt she was more beautiful than the young Rose.

Many wonderful women who were not considered physically attractive gave so much to the world and us as a society. A few of my favorites are; Eleanor Roosevelt, Golda Meir, Margaret Thatcher, Gloria Steinem, Vanessa Redgrave & Carole King. None of them were particularly interested in their physical appearance because they had more important things to accomplish . IMO, these women were and are truly beautiful.

I feel that anyone who is extremely vain is going to have a hard time going forward as they age. Because at some time the aging process will hit you physically and/or mentally. You may find yourself in corrective shoes, wearing a hearing aid, thick glasses or needing a cane or walker or other assistance. However, that does not mean that you are not a beautiful person if people would just take the time to notice. I do believe there are many out there who will do just that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 05:33 AM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,487,261 times
Reputation: 29071
It all boils down to the old saying, "Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder." If physical perfection is what's been drummed into you as a must have, and our media certainly promulgates that rather shallow "value," then no person of a certain age is going to appear beautiful sans plastic surgery and face paint. But if your ideal of beauty is based upon the eyes as the mirrors of the soul, beauty will surround you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 05:43 AM
 
Location: Central Florida
973 posts, read 1,489,858 times
Reputation: 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
This thread has brought to my mind the movie "Titanic". The aged Rose played so brilliantly by the late actress Gloria Stuart left me feeling what a beautiful woman. Especially the scene where she walked to the bow of the boat and tossed her necklace overboard. I found beauty in her wrinkles, eyes, hands and persona. Although the story did not tell of her life from the young girl on the Titanic to age 101, I just felt this was a woman who's life was well lived. She had a loving grandaughter and young people who were interested in hearing her story. Not an old lady who had been cast aside because of her age or physical limitations. In many ways, I felt she was more beautiful than the young Rose.

Many wonderful women who were not considered physically attractive gave so much to the world and us as a society. A few of my favorites are; Eleanor Roosevelt, Golda Meir, Margaret Thatcher, Gloria Steinem, Vanessa Redgrave & Carole King. None of them were particularly interested in their physical appearance because they had more important things to accomplish . IMO, these women were and are truly beautiful.

I feel that anyone who is extremely vain is going to have a hard time going forward as they age. Because at some time the aging process will hit you physically and/or mentally. You may find yourself in corrective shoes, wearing a hearing aid, thick glasses or needing a cane or walker or other assistance. However, that does not mean that you are not a beautiful person if people would just take the time to notice. I do believe there are many out there who will do just that.
Thank you for this thoughtful post and I want to address what I bolded.

I think this is very true especially for women who have used their "youthful beauty" to get what they want or just have "doors open for them" (literally and figuratively) due to their looks (which really related to their sex appeal). But what makes it hard is that this is really part of them and who they are, and to all of a sudden NOT have that part of you can leave you devastated in a way, for it is like part of you is no longer there. But if they can do what you stated in the last few sentences (which I love by the way), they will survive and maybe even learn something about themselves that they never knew existed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 07:45 AM
 
Location: Central Florida
973 posts, read 1,489,858 times
Reputation: 1098
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Americanwoman54, I have a thread on this forum about "acting your age". I have met men that are my age (62) and some of them definitely don't act like I do! They were much more quiet and reserved. I can be pretty mouthy, humorous with some sarcasm thrown in. In other words, I wouldn't need a mic for people to hear me in a room! My wife loves my personality and tells some people "never a dull moment in our home!" But, there are some people that definitely don't share her enthusiasm about my personality. There are times that my 1/2 brother (66) can't stand my humor/sarcasm over the phone and I have to tell him (kindly) "dude chill out".......and he doesn't like hearing me say that either. My wife's sister (66) doesn't understand my humor a lot of times........a number of things I say to her, go right over her head. I ask my wife "will she ever get out of the closet" and my wife says "no, she been this way for years". When the family was enjoying a weekend of boating at their cottage, my wife's sister was not even with them. She's very religious and wouldn't miss a Sunday church service.

Anyway, I remember not to long ago, we had our 20' boat out cruising in open water, heading back to the ramp area. A 30' cabin cruiser crossed in front of us and I couldn't slow down enough for it's wake.......I yelled at my wife "hold on" as we hit it and became somewhat airborne! I think 3/4 of our boat came out of the water and, after coming back down, we looked at each other with big smiles and yelled "wow, what a ride!" Later that day, we looked at each other and said, "you know, that scared the holly crap out of me!"
A lot of people will say "you're only as old as you feel", WELLLLLLLLL with some of the aches and pains we feel at times, we definitely feel our "early 60's"!

Cute stories...and seems like you have a perfect "audience" errr MATE!

And YES, I am one also to believe that we are only as old as we feel, hence the disparity of attitudes/actions in 50 and 60 year olds (and I know other age groups as well, but this is the retirement section!).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 07:51 AM
 
Location: Mid-Atlantic east coast
5,371 posts, read 9,865,001 times
Reputation: 10243
For your amusement, and perhaps enjoyment, here's a poem I wrote about growing older as a woman...

CONTINENTAL DRIFT

I've discovered of late that there's a certain
yin and yang to growing older...
As my breasts journey ever southward, my belly
expands northward and outward to greet them.

Breasts and belly united, they are content in their continental drift
But I, fighting gravity, defying Newton, hitch my bra straps higher.

Nestled, snug in their cozy cotton igloos,
breasts bide their time, bear the separation,
resting through winter's gloom and gray
perking up at Spring's song of sparrows.

For soon come the sultry days of summer,
When I turn them loose to meet their friend.

My belly smiles, winks
to welcome their return,
united, content once again.

Forever friends.

Who am I to keep them apart, my happy round pals?
Drift and float; be free, go where you will.

Newton knew.

Gravity overcomes vanity.
It's not physical,
only physics.

--Patricia Frank

copyright 2010-2011. All rights reserved. Patricia Frank
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 09:13 AM
 
Location: SW MO
23,605 posts, read 31,487,261 times
Reputation: 29071
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
For your amusement, and perhaps enjoyment, here's a poem I wrote about growing older as a woman...

CONTINENTAL DRIFT

I've discovered of late that there's a certain
yin and yang to growing older...
As my breasts journey ever southward, my belly
expands northward and outward to greet them.

Breasts and belly united, they are content in their continental drift
But I, fighting gravity, defying Newton, hitch my bra straps higher.

Nestled, snug in their cozy cotton igloos,
breasts bide their time, bear the separation,
resting through winter's gloom and gray
perking up at Spring's song of sparrows.

For soon come the sultry days of summer,
When I turn them loose to meet their friend.

My belly smiles, winks
to welcome their return,
united, content once again.

Forever friends.

Who am I to keep them apart, my happy round pals?
Drift and float; be free, go where you will.

Newton knew.

Gravity overcomes vanity.
It's not physical,
only physics.

--Patricia Frank

copyright 2010-2011. All rights reserved. Patricia Frank
Excellent! Gravity works, on men as well, as follows:

Spines compress and feet spread, shortening the stature.

Hair that was once on the head begins the fall to take up lodging in ears and nostrils.

Cheeks slowly but inevitably migrate to the south, taking up residence as jowls.

Chests, after withstanding years of beating, merge with bellies that had once been flat.

Bellies lean forward and downward trying to re-accquaint themselves with toes that can no longer be seen while standing.

As a final indignity, men's fannies fall off, and trousers have to be cinched-up under the armpits to hold them in place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top