U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2011, 12:27 PM
 
Location: New England
7,902 posts, read 5,834,594 times
Reputation: 10443

Advertisements

In reference to senior centers, I wish we had one like the one in that newsletter!!!! Wow!!

Ours is depressing and is for the pre-boomer generation. Bingo. 1940s jazz music. Cards. They do have some computers but no one ever uses them. They have just had their first computer class but it was only for beginners, as if they assume none of us know how to use a computer and they're going to teach us something "new."

There is nothing educational except once in a while a health themed lecture.

They do have trips and that's good for those who can afford Europe and need to travel with a group. There are also a few local bus trips, that's nice too.

But, as an example of their offerings, I once signed up for a bead working class and looked forward to it. Do you know what we did in that class? They gave us some string and dumped a pile of beads on the table and we strung beads like pre-schoolers! Depressing?

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who feels that these senior centers don't serve people under age 70 or more like age 80. I think boomers will start to demand some attention from these senior centers but these places seem very resistant to change.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2011, 05:33 PM
 
Location: SW MO Aux Arcs
19,241 posts, read 16,600,198 times
Reputation: 17361
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who feels that these senior centers don't serve people under age 70 or more like age 80. I think boomers will start to demand some attention from these senior centers but these places seem very resistant to change.
Part of the problem for many of them is that they're usually run by people whose only experience with aging is what they read in school.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 06:37 PM
 
Location: New England
12,395 posts, read 8,638,277 times
Reputation: 8960
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
In reference to senior centers, I wish we had one like the one in that newsletter!!!! Wow!!

Ours is depressing and is for the pre-boomer generation. Bingo. 1940s jazz music. Cards. They do have some computers but no one ever uses them. They have just had their first computer class but it was only for beginners, as if they assume none of us know how to use a computer and they're going to teach us something "new."

There is nothing educational except once in a while a health themed lecture.

They do have trips and that's good for those who can afford Europe and need to travel with a group. There are also a few local bus trips, that's nice too.

But, as an example of their offerings, I once signed up for a bead working class and looked forward to it. Do you know what we did in that class? They gave us some string and dumped a pile of beads on the table and we strung beads like pre-schoolers! Depressing?

I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one who feels that these senior centers don't serve people under age 70 or more like age 80. I think boomers will start to demand some attention from these senior centers but these places seem very resistant to change.
The kind of senior centers you and I are talking about must be endemic to New England. The senior centers I saw in VA and NC seemed much more contemporary and advanced, in general. I don't know that I will approach one here again any time soon, I just got so down that here I am, at that age...and all the visits did for me was reinforce negative, rather than positive (or at least hopeful) feelings about aging.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 06:39 PM
 
Location: New England
12,395 posts, read 8,638,277 times
Reputation: 8960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Part of the problem for many of them is that they're usually run by people whose only experience with aging is what they read in school.
You definitely got that right. Textbook gerontology, and trainings for activity directors using those books. "Chapter 18: Essential Bingo and Shuffleboard for the Over-60 Group."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 08:09 PM
 
Location: Verde Valley AZ
5,105 posts, read 3,927,832 times
Reputation: 5117
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The kind of senior centers you and I are talking about must be endemic to New England. The senior centers I saw in VA and NC seemed much more contemporary and advanced, in general. I don't know that I will approach one here again any time soon, I just got so down that here I am, at that age...and all the visits did for me was reinforce negative, rather than positive (or at least hopeful) feelings about aging.
I have to agree with you. I have checked out three different Senior Centers in three places I've lived and every one of them was the same...boring. I found most of the people who went to them "too old" for me! I was early to mid 60s. Haven't been in one in a long time now except to take my mom for her yearly Flu shots. Oh, and once to get my taxes done by AARP. And they goofed! lol I didn't come away with any positive feelings either. I have to admit though, most of the people my age that I've met over the years, are "too old" for me. Shoot, I don't even have any surgeries or a long list of meds to discuss/compare!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 08:57 PM
 
Location: 112 Ocean Avenue
5,706 posts, read 4,872,535 times
Reputation: 8674
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
No matter how good or how bad your life is, getting old stinks.
Agree. Old age is a shipwreck.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 09:02 PM
 
Location: SW MO Aux Arcs
19,241 posts, read 16,600,198 times
Reputation: 17361
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedJacket View Post
Agree. Old age is a shipwreck.
Disagree. It truly is a "golden" time if you've planned properly. Numbers are meaningless so long as you enjoy and take comfort in your life.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 10:05 PM
 
Location: Central Florida
959 posts, read 841,363 times
Reputation: 1038
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
For your amusement, and perhaps enjoyment, here's a poem I wrote about growing older as a woman...

CONTINENTAL DRIFT


Gravity overcomes vanity.
It's not physical,
only physics.
Didn't want to quote the whole poem again....but what a picture you painted!!!! But my fav line is what I left, for that part is definitely true!!

Thanks for sharing....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2011, 10:17 PM
 
Location: Boca Raton, FL
4,054 posts, read 5,154,820 times
Reputation: 3631
Smile Going out dancing - it's changing

My FIL turns 89 in August. One of his favorite pastimes was to go dancing. There was the Polish Club, the Canadian Club, the German Club.

He went 3 times a week - one time it was raining so badly but he went anyway (we were out of town).

Anyway, what has happened is that the music and the age of those attending is getting younger. He now doesn't know anyone, the music is not familiar anymore and he just quit going. I know he's very disappointed but it seems to attract the 70-85 crowd.

Location: Hollywood, FL

(You guessed it - he loves that accordion music)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-01-2011, 09:14 AM
 
Location: On our boat!
5,682 posts, read 10,513,374 times
Reputation: 3197
From the description of Senior Centers that I'm reading about here, knowing me and my personality, I'd probably walk in, look around and say "where's the Party!" with a big smile and loud enough that even a partially deaf person would hear me! My wife would be with me and cracking up inside!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:33 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top