Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 12:05 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,686,569 times

Advertisements

As they say these days "it is what it is" in terms of your age. Just live your life and be grateful for every healthy day you have. You look super in comparison to many others in our age group you always will.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 07:33 PM

973 posts, read 1,705,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squirl View Post
As they say these days "it is what it is" in terms of your age. Just live your life and be grateful for every healthy day you have. You look super in comparison to many others in our age group you always will.

That phrase IS the one of this decade I think as I hear it all the time, and like the other saying goes," if you don't have your health, what do you have?" is true as well. And if you mean me with your last sentence, thank you for your kind words.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:25 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
It sure helps to laugh at this whole getting old business and the ever crashing stock market today!
Don't know that I'm laughing about the stock market but "those people" seem to delight in scaring the bejeepers out of the American public! Just like Congress!!

I swore, years ago, that I would NEVER get "old". Can't help the chronological thing but I firmly believe that ATTITUDE is everything. Attitude and a great sense of humor can see us through just about anything. I've had my times of "situational depression", when I felt like I simply couldn't do anything about what was going on in my life, but dang, I'm still here to talk about it so I guess I survived!

Old 08-05-2011, 02:23 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,938,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Don't know that I'm laughing about the stock market but "those people" seem to delight in scaring the bejeepers out of the American public! Just like Congress!!

I swore, years ago, that I would NEVER get "old". Can't help the chronological thing but I firmly believe that ATTITUDE is everything. Attitude and a great sense of humor can see us through just about anything. I've had my times of "situational depression", when I felt like I simply couldn't do anything about what was going on in my life, but dang, I'm still here to talk about it so I guess I survived!
I guess we are all survivors one way or the other. For me it was altitude not attitude as you said. I retired to a mountain top overlooking Lake Superior where I have spent the last 3 years building a house, both were on my bucket list.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:15 PM

13,496 posts, read 18,190,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanwoman54 View Post
That phrase IS the one of this decade I think as I hear it all the time, and like the other saying goes," if you don't have your health, what do you have?" is true as well. ....
Absolute rubbish!!! Anyone who believes that BS, already doesn't have anything.

My health sucks. Ten years of hepatitis, four stents in the heart, six spine operations - three of them major, and the most recent and complicated one in April followed by a fracture of the spine two weeks later...with a local hysterical doctor's dire predictions of maybe being "paralyzed below the waist." I signed myself out from the care of this professional who clearly was incapable of keeping the necessary cool to care for a stuffed animal, was carried to the back seat of a waiting car by six attendants, went home and with the help of friends made got my ass from agony and bed, to wheel chair, to walker, to double crutches to a single crutch....all with no medical assistance or advice.

If I don't have my health what do I have? What an absolute dumbass question!!!

What do I have?: Great friends, a beautiful environment to live in - not one single day passes that I do not thrilled at the beauty of some street or view that I have seen hundreds of times before, books and beautiful music - new and revisited, people who live for discovery, curiosity, and more and more...but I don't have a portable mirror wheeled around with me so I can watch myself hobble and lurch, and then p*ss and moan about "old."

My health sucks major, and my life is rich with satisfactions and JOY.

Reading this thread, a number of you folks clearly need to sell your attitudes to the junkman and get a life sometime before you die.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:08 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,601,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post

My health sucks. Ten years of hepatitis, four stents in the heart, six spine operations - three of them major, and the most recent and complicated one in April followed by a fracture of the spine two weeks later...with a local hysterical doctor's dire predictions of maybe being "paralyzed below the waist." I signed myself out from the care of this professional who clearly was incapable of keeping the necessary cool to care for a stuffed animal, was carried to the back seat of a waiting car by six attendants, went home and with the help of friends made got my ass from agony and bed, to wheel chair, to walker, to double crutches to a single crutch....all with no medical assistance or advice.

What do I have?: Great friends, a beautiful environment to live in - not one single day passes that I do not thrilled at the beauty of some street or view that I have seen hundreds of times before, books and beautiful music - new and revisited, people who live for discovery, curiosity, and more and more...but I don't have a portable mirror wheeled around with me so I can watch myself hobble and lurch, and then p*ss and moan about "old."

Reading this thread, a number of you folks clearly need to sell your attitudes to the junkman and get a life sometime before you die.
You're a survivor because of your mind and character.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:10 PM

973 posts, read 1,705,195 times
Quote:

Glad you are doing well with all that has happened to you as it sounds like you did overcome what could have left you to think that quotation was true.

but I stick to my belief, sorry!

And nice "net attitude"!

Old 08-05-2011, 04:40 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidi60 View Post
A nice Italian man at our local Trader Joes gives me hugs when I go through his check out. What a great break in my daily routine. Heck, we even have the same doc do our colonoscopy.

Also, by keeping it light and happy, for me it avoids getting into someone else's problems, which I can't fix anyway. One of the reasons I married my husband is beause he does make me laugh at myself so I don't take me too seriously anymore. Glad to dump that burden.
Hey watch those Italian men! What if your DH finds out??

Happiness adds years to a person's life, we'd like to believe. But my mother was miserable and unhappy and lived to 92 with no operations, hospitalizations, or doctor visits in her entire life (other than to have her births). Not one doctor visit!!! I'm convinced that longevity is in the genes. On the other hand, I'd rather live a shorter happy life than a longer unhappy one.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:48 PM

6,421 posts, read 7,667,441 times
Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body.
But rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting..."What a ride!"

Old 08-05-2011, 04:51 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:

To equate "having health" with gratitude and happiness is silly and unfounded. I have volunteered in childrens' cancer wards and see how they are suffering with their health and some of them are simply a delight. They are very mature for their age and they generally go about reassuring the adults around them that they are just fine and not to worry. Many are joyous and clearly love every day of their lives.

My mother had fine health, never went to a single doctor in her entire life other than to birth her children. She had full mobility till the age of 92. Hardly ever a cold and never an operation. Perfect health. But she was a miserable person, always railing against something, avoiding people with any kind of affliction. She did not have a generous heart or spirit. Her fears guided her behavior. So she had her health but so what?

I have also seen people in terrible physical condition overcome their hardship and be a true inspiration to others, rather than concentrating on "me, my illness, my problem." These are the true heroes, and I'd rather be one of them than someone blessed with perfect health who for whatever reason cannot achieve a meaningful,purposeful life on earth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement