Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 02:22 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times

Advertisements

One of my best friends is 81 and I just hang out with her and feel very young

Do you think alot of people get stuck in like a time warp...I have a few friends, co-workers and relatives (male and female) who just look, dress, hair, make-up, etc. is from a time when I guess they feel they looked their best (or were their happiest) and by gosh they're sticking with it! I guess there's a fine line between wanting to look good and looking ridiculous for one's age. It's kind of hard to find clothes that are appropriate because it seems like they are either too young/trendy or way too matronly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 02:58 PM

973 posts, read 1,705,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
One of my best friends is 81 and I just hang out with her and feel very young

Do you think alot of people get stuck in like a time warp...I have a few friends, co-workers and relatives (male and female) who just look, dress, hair, make-up, etc. is from a time when I guess they feel they looked their best (or were their happiest) and by gosh they're sticking with it! I guess there's a fine line between wanting to look good and looking ridiculous for one's age. It's kind of hard to find clothes that are appropriate because it seems like they are either too young/trendy or way too matronly.
YES, I do...and by sticking in the "time warp" they really look older than they are.

And as far as your comment that I bolded, I have been been thinking A LOT about this lately and even went online to see HOW a person who is 60+ should dress...and didn't find too ,much. I know when I turned 60, I got rid of a lot of clothes that I thought was too young and some things I had never even worn. My daughter who was 30, looked at them and took most saying I HAD TASTE!!! And what is hard for me, is that as I still look around at things to buy, I still go BACK to what I had given away! Grrrr....but one thing that does have me sad, is that even though my face belies my age, my arms, though toned, are beginning to get that crepy look underneath and I hate to give up my sleeveless dresses and tops; but I do think I need to dispose of my outfits that have spaghetti straps.

What do you think 60 year olds SHOULD be wearing??? I had thought about beginning a thread in the fashion section, but to be honest, I think the youngins' would be BRUTAL!!!

Old 08-01-2011, 02:58 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,602,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
L.L. Bean is the answer. They're selling just about the same styles they sold fifty years ago; many are identical to today's catalog items. Regarding women's clothing, I once read a spoof in which a girl of college age was asking some fashion advisor about a particular Bean item. The advisor told her to look in her parents' closet; her mother would have bought it thirty years before.

The styles are the same, but materials are quite modern. I buy shirts that come out of the dryer looking as if they've come back from a shirt laundry. Since I always wear button shirts, this is a real advantage in both cost and convenience.

Old 08-01-2011, 04:36 PM

1,448 posts, read 3,050,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanwoman54 View Post
YES, I do...and by sticking in the "time warp" they really look older than they are.

What do you think 60 year olds SHOULD be wearing??? I had thought about beginning a thread in the fashion section, but to be honest, I think the youngins' would be BRUTAL!!!

I'm 59 and wear the same classic style I wore in my 30s but with slight modifications when needed: jeans that are not painted on, bateau-neck (sleeveless or with cap sleeves) sheaths now touch mid-knee instead of ending above it, straight-leg trousers that are truly with straight legs and not extra slim, slightly flared-out sundresses, and the ever-faithful white shirts (with and without cuffs.) I'm petite so I have to wear clothes that fit well to my body, otherwise they would overwhelm me.

I have half a dozen blazers and many hand-knitted sweaters (I'm a knitter). The majority of items in my wardrobe are in either black or white, only my hand-knitted stuff is in colours. I also have many scarves to break up the monochrome.

My clothing style perhaps is boring to most people, but it has served me well everywhere -- at home and away from home, in the States and in Europe. I also spend minimum amount of money replacing them since nothing ever goes out of style (except blazers, they do seem to age after a decade or so).

<*Note: Evidently this post is not written by Charles, but his spouse. >

Last edited by Ol' Wanderer; 08-01-2011 at 05:26 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 06:10 PM

12,039 posts, read 6,568,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
L.L.
I buy shirts that come out of the dryer looking as if they've come back from a shirt laundry. .
WHERE does one find these shirts???!

Old 08-02-2011, 01:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles in PGI View Post
I'm 59 and wear the same classic style I wore in my 30s but with slight modifications when needed: jeans that are not painted on, bateau-neck (sleeveless or with cap sleeves) sheaths now touch mid-knee instead of ending above it, straight-leg trousers that are truly with straight legs and not extra slim, slightly flared-out sundresses, and the ever-faithful white shirts (with and without cuffs.) I'm petite so I have to wear clothes that fit well to my body, otherwise they would overwhelm me.

I have half a dozen blazers and many hand-knitted sweaters (I'm a knitter). The majority of items in my wardrobe are in either black or white, only my hand-knitted stuff is in colours. I also have many scarves to break up the monochrome.

My clothing style perhaps is boring to most people, but it has served me well everywhere -- at home and away from home, in the States and in Europe. I also spend minimum amount of money replacing them since nothing ever goes out of style (except blazers, they do seem to age after a decade or so).

<*Note: Evidently this post is not written by Charles, but his spouse. >
Classic really doesn't go out of style; and when you make modifications like you stated, you are GOOD TO GO!!! BUT when you are NOT a "classic" dresser like me, then, you begin to have doubts as you may be getting too old for your "style"!!!

Old 08-02-2011, 01:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
L.L. Bean is the answer. They're selling just about the same styles they sold fifty years ago; many are identical to today's catalog items. Regarding women's clothing, I once read a spoof in which a girl of college age was asking some fashion advisor about a particular Bean item. The advisor told her to look in her parents' closet; her mother would have bought it thirty years before.

The styles are the same, but materials are quite modern. I buy shirts that come out of the dryer looking as if they've come back from a shirt laundry. Since I always wear button shirts, this is a real advantage in both cost and convenience.
You are right about LLBean and if this is your style of clothing, then you will NEVER go out of style as their fashions are timeless.

I am a catalogue person too, but I usually order most of my clothes from Victoria's Secret for T's and tops and underwear and Boston Proper for tops and sweaters, and various other ones as well. And due to this, I of course get LLBean sent to me as I must be on some list. I do look through the catalogue just out of curiosity, and even though the clothes look like quality wear, they are not me....so the catalogue gets tossed. But at least they tried!!!

Old 08-02-2011, 06:48 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
As you said, L.L. Bean styles, for men especially, are timeless and classic, as are Pendleton's, and those two comprise most of my "retirement" wardrobe. In a former life my garb was slacks, sport coats, fine wool suits, pure cotton shirts, silk ties, etc. I gave almost all of it away to a "return-to-the-workplace" clothes closet. Now I can dress nicely when required but those occasions are blessedly rare and I no longer have a lot to choose from anyway. I like it that way!

Old 08-02-2011, 06:53 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,740,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainrose View Post
WHERE does one find these shirts???!
I get mine from Land's End. Many of their styles are fairly conservative, but there are some real finds. And I love their bathing suits!

Old 08-02-2011, 07:32 AM

438 posts, read 1,115,350 times
Have you ordered from Lands' End recently, Wwanderer? I quit buying shirts from them a few years ago because their thread was of poor quality, making the seams pucker after washing. If this is no longer the case I'll go back to them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement