Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2011, 07:34 AM

8,940 posts, read 20,362,856 times

Advertisements

Gotta say, your'e the only lady that I've EVER heard of, in my age bracket that is, that orders stuff from Victoria's Secret! A lot of those ladies just don't have the body for their clothes and/or thinks their clothes are too risque! Seems like many-to-most of us Baby Boomers have that "age" weight we are constantly trying to lose!
Sorry, but to be totally honest, I never thought I'd see Victoria's Secret brought up in the Retirement forum! I remember when wife and I visited to a local Hair Salon, she was checking out prices, I looked at a Stylist and asked why they didn't have any pictures (models) on their walls of older people (even our age) with nice hair styles. The young hair stylist looked at me pretty STUNNED and said "sorry", which I knew to mean........"you've got to be kidding, old people on our walls......no way! I could understand that, but still.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanwoman54 View Post
You are right about LLBean and if this is your style of clothing, then you will NEVER go out of style as their fashions are timeless.

I am a catalogue person too, but I usually order most of my clothes from Victoria's Secret for T's and tops and underwear and Boston Proper for tops and sweaters, and various other ones as well. And due to this, I of course get LLBean sent to me as I must be on some list. I do look through the catalogue just out of curiosity, and even though the clothes look like quality wear, they are not me....so the catalogue gets tossed. But at least they tried!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2011, 07:59 AM

973 posts, read 1,704,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Gotta say, your'e the only lady that I've EVER heard of, in my age bracket that is, that orders stuff from Victoria's Secret! A lot of those ladies just don't have the body for their clothes and/or thinks their clothes are too risque! Seems like many-to-most of us Baby Boomers have that "age" weight we are constantly trying to lose!
Sorry, but to be totally honest, I never thought I'd see Victoria's Secret brought up in the Retirement forum! I remember when wife and I visited to a local Hair Salon, she was checking out prices, I looked at a Stylist and asked why they didn't have any pictures (models) on their walls of older people (even our age) with nice hair styles. The young hair stylist looked at me pretty STUNNED and said "sorry", which I knew to mean........"you've got to be kidding, old people on our walls......no way! I could understand that, but still.

LOL will this made me almost spit out my coffee on my keyboard! Too funny (but sad about the comment in the hair salon. I think I will ask my daughter about this as she is a stylist!). BUT to be honest, as I just stated on the other thread about ladies' fashion, maybe THIS is where I am in denial and maybe soon I should give up ordering from these catalogues as I take a hard look at what I look like in those clothes?? What I order is not too risque, just the tops that show some cleavage, but maybe that is no longer appealing at my age??? But if I do stop wearing those tops, does that mean I have given up on my sexuality?? And I think maybe THIS is my quandary...

So I will ask the ladies here, do you still feel sexy at times or do you no longer want to?? Does our sexuality go away eventually?? I still want to feel this way, as least for now. And yes even though these are celebrities, I do admire Tina Turner and Raquel Welch for they are sexy, yet dignified (well except for Tina when on stage! ).

Last edited by Sagitarrius48; 08-02-2011 at 08:04 AM.. Reason: added more thoughts

Old 08-02-2011, 08:54 AM

419 posts, read 758,288 times
Quote:
LOL will this made me almost spit out my coffee on my keyboard! Too funny (but sad about the comment in the hair salon. I think I will ask my daughter about this as she is a stylist!). BUT to be honest, as I just stated on the other thread about ladies' fashion, maybe THIS is where I am in denial and maybe soon I should give up ordering from these catalogues as I take a hard look at what I look like in those clothes?? What I order is not too risque, just the tops that show some cleavage, but maybe that is no longer appealing at my age??? But if I do stop wearing those tops, does that mean I have given up on my sexuality?? And I think maybe THIS is my quandary...

So I will ask the ladies here, do you still feel sexy at times or do you no longer want to?? Does our sexuality go away eventually?? I still want to feel this way, as least for now. And yes even though these are celebrities, I do admire Tina Turner and Raquel Welch for they are sexy, yet dignified (well except for Tina when on stage! ).
IMO, showing cleavage does not define sexuality, especially in older women. In fact, I find it rather distasteful.

It would be a glorious day if all female celebrities who have a need to flaunt their boobs (fake or otherwise) at us would just stop. Leave something to the immagination, much more appealing & sexy.

A woman wearing jeans, boots and a flannel shirt can be very sexy as long as her inner beauty shines through.

Old 08-02-2011, 08:57 AM

Somes, Americanwoman54, how a gal dresses/makeup worn can depend on whether the lady is married or single! Married ladies, at our age anyway, don't have the pressure from their hubbies to look hot. Some single ladies, younger and older, just simply like the attention/looks they get from men (young and old) with the way they dress and their makeup. My wife has never been a "dress to impress men" type. Just like some other ladies her age, she does have cleavage, but just doesn't see the need to show it off. A gal can look good-to-great without wearing "bragging" type clothes. I mean, REALLY, just how many ladies 55+ have a totally stunning body? Same goes for us men in that age bracket. Diane Sawyer is in her mid 60's and looks great with her dress/makeup.......which is very "down-to-earth".

Quote:

Old 08-02-2011, 08:59 AM

WOW, got that right!! A "double" thumbs-up to that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
IMO, showing cleavage does not define sexuality, especially in older women. In fact, I find it rather distasteful.

It would be a glorious day if all female celebrities who have a need to flaunt their boobs (fake or otherwise) at us would just stop. Leave something to the immagination, much more appealing & sexy.

A woman wearing jeans, boots and a flannel shirt can be very sexy as long as her inner beauty shines through.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:11 AM

6,883 posts, read 11,238,332 times
Smile Showing too much skin

I also find this distasteful - on younger people as well. I feel embarassed for them, really.

My husband and I were having brunch at a beachside restaurant. Those that walked by scantily clad (letting it all hang) just looked awful even if they were fairly fit; those that just covered up a bit - and I'm talking young and old just looked so much better.

I myself buy stuff at Victoria's Secret. What is wrong with that? It's good to know about the other places too.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:35 AM

Nothing wrong with it, if that's the clothing that some older women are into. I mean, when I think of Victoria's Secret, I think of clothes/underwear for a much younger generation of ladies and yes the word "scantily" comes to my mind with that store.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I also find this distasteful - on younger people as well. I feel embarassed for them, really.

My husband and I were having brunch at a beachside restaurant. Those that walked by scantily clad (letting it all hang) just looked awful even if they were fairly fit; those that just covered up a bit - and I'm talking young and old just looked so much better.

I myself buy stuff at Victoria's Secret. What is wrong with that? It's good to know about the other places too.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:38 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,610 times
Hilarious replies! As I've mentioned previously, I had a career as a stripper, starting at age 47 and retired at age 57. I bought my costumes at such places a Dugan Brothers, Attractivewear, and traveled to Vegas or Toronto to buy. Why should age limit sexuality? And if an older woman's body is better than most young womans' bodies, why not show it? Obviously, there is a time and place for how much one shows and to whom.

Old 08-02-2011, 09:42 AM

My wife has a girlfriend, known for many, many years (h.s.) that loves makeup and trying to look 25 again and she is 63! She is very "glittzy" and loves clothes and shoes with silver studs in them. She definitely tries to be an older "trophy wife" and it doesn't bother her husband who is a couple of years older. We've gone out to dinner with them before and, right at the table/after eating, she will pull out her powder case and "tweak" her bangs, dab some powder on her face and renew her lipstick.........wife and I don't say anything at the time, but later we laugh about it.

Old 08-02-2011, 10:03 AM

438 posts, read 1,115,042 times
Americanwoman54, how do you feel when you wear your clothes? Do you feel comfortable? How do people react to you? Do they behave toward you as you wish? If you feel at ease and you get the treatment you want and deserve from co-workers, then more power to you. Keep on!

Of course I still want to look (and feel) sexy at times. I'm glad to be able to pick those times, unlike when I was young and was often hassled when I was minding my own business simply walking down a public sidewalk or jogging on a trail. I'm glad to have the choice of being invisible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement