U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 07:20 AM

7,339 posts, read 16,637,122 times

Advertisements

We aren't totally happy where we are living (location), but it's very close to where my wife works (6 miles/no freeway). We finally wound up in Florida after spending some yrs in Denver, CO metro and a yr in Charlotte, NC metro. But, we decided that we wanted to get totally out of snow/freezing weather. That kind of weather is not good for a hip replacement or rotator cuff surgery of which I had both in CO. We live in a "bungaloo" type apartment (1-level) that we really like. It's sort of like living in a small house. A couple of years down the line, when my wife retires, we are thinking about moving a little bit more south towards St Augustine. We know it gets hot and humid here, but that's just the way Florida is.......some folks can handle it while other can't. There are times we don't like it at all, but living in a snowbelt again is definitely out of the question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 10:33 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,623,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Absolutely. I live in a large community in Las Vegas that is filled with trees, lakes and streams. The development includes both single family house communities and townhouse communities. Here is a short video of one of the townhouse communities that shows how green and lush the area is:

‪The Springs, Spanish Trail, Las Vegas‬‏ - YouTube

Although I don't live in that particular community, my house is surrounded by trees and shrubs. Here are some pictures of the greenery from the front and back views of my house. Click on the attachments to see the pictures.

Attachment 82743 Attachment 82744 Attachment 82745
You must pay a hell of a bunch in water bills for that. We have similar looks here in Henderson but not those trees. Just the palm type.

Old 08-03-2011, 10:39 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,623,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I moved away from Las Vegas in late 1972 and I know it's changed...a LOT! But even when I did live there we had plenty of green and trees. I had a HUGE tree in my front yard that got hit by lightning in a storm and split right down the middle. I felt so bad about that but we had enough trees that it didn't make a whole lot of difference. And our back yard was all green lawn so it was nice.
Those types of trees are not natural here. They were planted and are maintained with gobs of watering most likely. This is what lots of landscape here looks like:

‪Gardening Las Vegas Style in Desert Landscaping 1 Month update #7‬‏ - YouTube

Old 08-04-2011, 04:04 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I will continue work on Plan C, and formulate plan D. (keep / afford vs. dispose of beautiful (but too expensive) home). I need to be 'creative' any ideas welcomed. Only the Taxes are a burden, it is fairly low maint (except mowing every week w/ 120" of rain / yr...). Hate to rent it, as it has LOTS of very nice wood & stone work.

Maybe a 'senior' center / foster home for ME. (Significant tax break if majority of residents are qualified 'needy' seniors)

I could also restructure my Trust, and donate my HOME rather than LIQUID ASSETS to charities, thus THEY could pay the property taxes during my few remaining yrs.

thus NOT 100% happy (have I ever been), but am remaining PUT. ('the final answer', FTTB... )
A lot of us "love" where we live and yet know it's not in our best interests to continue to live there. If you can continue to pay property taxes of $1,000 per month, and realistically deal with the increases that, at the rate you are being taxed, is fairly unsustainable, then stay. If you feel that at least $500/mo can be put to much better use, plan to get out while you are young and healthy.

I don't understand the scope of your income properties--is your personal home just you, or are there tenants within it? Do you want to keep being a landlord for a long time, or cash out soon?

If your property is lovely with views, etc you could get into renting it out during certain periods of the year for corporate or artistic retreats at fairly big bucks to cover the taxes, but then you will incur more income tax. This idea also depends on your capacity for management and liabilities.

You seem to want to live overseas. All I can say from personal experience is do it now, don't wait till you hit 65. Enjoy your younger years while you have them and your health. Just my early morning thoughts.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:04 AM

13,314 posts, read 25,550,246 times
I moved to the Boston area at age 20 with a full expectation of going somewhere else to find a sense of belonging/home. Three moves later (and three belly flops back into the Boston area) I find myself living in my dream house (much much more dreamy than I ever thought possible, never mind near Boston), have spent ten years adding things like fences, paved driveway, etc., and have most things I want or need within a couple of miles, although am still car-dependent.
Property taxes keep going up.
Every time I've visited an area with white-capped mountains and less/no humidity and an ability to drive in wide-open spaces to other Western things, I've thought I should move out there. Bought and sold two properties in Colorado on this daydream. Realized that I've never lived in my dream house near Boston without trudging to work five nights a week (where my old-fashioned pension keeps growing) so should try living here without that working before going anywhere else. My daydreams of Colorado don't seem to involve the severe winters, the increased car dependence, the lack of an East Coast sensibility. It does involve a daydream of daily horseback riding and no humidity and an easy drive to other neat places (not likely in older age). I do not want to have to move again, especially in an emergency kind of situation in older age, such as not being able to drive...
If my current area becomes too expensive (always possible, it's starting out so high) I could move to a mobile home park in the same town, or I'd consider moving to the major town near the mountains (20,000 people) where there are lots of older-old people.
I could never move anywhere more humid or substantially more car-dependent. I'm only 58, but I think about these things, being without kin or spouse-type person.

Old 08-04-2011, 08:52 AM

8,190 posts, read 11,905,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
You must pay a hell of a bunch in water bills for that. We have similar looks here in Henderson but not those trees. Just the palm type.
The HOA takes care of all the watering (and the mowing, pruning, etc.). In fact, the HOA takes care of pretty much everything except the interior portion of one's property. Just last week, they painted my house. And while they were out here, they noticed that there was some damage to my roof, so yesterday there was a work crew out here replacing some cracked and broken tiles. Not having any yard or exterior maintenance issues to take care of was one of the reasons that I moved to this community.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:54 AM

3,453 posts, read 2,253,777 times
Default Desert landscaping

I also live in Nevada but my HOA doesn't take care of all of the things they do for MMoB. However, even with extensive plantings around my house, my monthly water bill is about $45. That includes all household water and daily landscape watering.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:17 PM

688 posts, read 864,170 times
thanks to all who responded to my question about remaining where you're living and the desirability of doing so for the future. some people are clearly planning another move, if possible, for economic reasons as well as for some other reasons i hadn't thought much about- health issues, a comfortable niche established in current location, need to be closer to ammenities,etc. but i could relate to the posts expressing concern as to continued affordability and escalating costs in their current location, as i have been in that situation in the past.
i would say that reading about some other peoples' circumstances and , in some cases, tough choices, has helped me gain a somewhat different perspective on my own. so, thank you for your candor. i appreciate your responses.
catsy girl

Old 08-04-2011, 09:34 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,417,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
Your post appears to be the antithesis of the question asked.
Sorry -- my thought was why would anyone want to move? You spend a life creating your life and move away? Why? I know lots of people who do it, swearing they hate this place -- and are back within 2 years, forgetting how nice the area is and how warm the people are.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:48 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,417,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
That is why its surveyed everu y]once i wahile. mnay areas were never survey and other have changed since the last one. It really does matter because al it does is raise the cost to ensure if it chnages. I am surprised that taxes would change because the value may not change especially on agriculutre lands which many of the best are in high risk flood plans.Normal that is because they are located near rivers and very good soil from years of deposit before we used them. More likely the low taxes are based more on agricultural use.
I know the low rates are due to being rated agricultural and the acre with the house is residential (*district is "AR" :Agriculture-Residential)

This area was surveyed originally about 1800. A good portion of may area still has families farming the land bought pre-Civil War (same owners are on the 1861 map).

The idiocy of the floodplain issue for us is that where some nitwit bureaucrat in a cubicle redrew the floodplain lines has NOTHING to do with anyone who floods. Most of the town ( the big part of the center of town) has WPA levees built "just in case" on a major stream and after Katrina, that bureaucrat deemed those WPA levees did not work. Maybe they didn't work down south, but given they have been reinforced with rebar and concrete downstream from us in the "danger zones" ( which never rise to 3/4 of the height -- even this year with really bad rain -- plus go down fast flowing out to Lake Erie). We don't ever have water and I feel bad for the people who buy homes around here as they get stuck with flood insurance. [Flood insurance is only good if 2 or more homes flood in a sudden disaster and onto the first floor, accd'g to our agent, who is a relative and told us that since the homes are so far apart here -- minimum on 1 acre -- it'd be a 500 year flood before 2 houses got it at once]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or