U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 10:41 AM

1,139 posts, read 2,176,696 times

Advertisements

Im in the same boat as many older citizens. My nice quiet neighborhood is being invaded by renters as the older owners pass away.
Im seeing more cars, ugly boats and RV's and hearing a lot more noise.
Im having nightmares about the house next door when my 92 year old buddy passes on.
I was downsized last year and it doesnt seem Im getting hired anywhere soon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 02:17 PM

419 posts, read 658,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
Im in the same boat as many older citizens. My nice quiet neighborhood is being invaded by renters as the older owners pass away.
Im seeing more cars, ugly boats and RV's and hearing a lot more noise.
Im having nightmares about the house next door when my 92 year old buddy passes on.
Your post reminds me of a terrible event that happened in Phoenix about 10 years ago. An elderly man aged 91 was living in an old tiny trailer home in a dilapidated mobile home park. He had lived there for over 50 years. Once it was a nice clean park where lower income folks proudly lived. As older people died or moved on, undesirables (gang bangers, drug users, etc.) began to move in. Three men moved in next door to the old man. There was constant fights, drug use, the smashing of beer bottles and loud music playing constantly into the early morning hours. The old man could not sleep and would call the police to quieten the neighbors down. They would turn off the music and then turn it back on louder than ever when the police left. This went on for many months. One night the old man went over to their trailer and once again asked them to turn the music down. They laughed in his face. The old man went back to his trailer and picked up his shot gun and returned to the neighbors blowing them all away. He had reached the end of his endurance and did the only thing he thought would give him some peace.

The old man suffered a fatal heart attack several months later in his jail cell while waiting for his trial to begin. A sad sad ending for an old man who only wanted to live out his life in peace.

Try not to despair because you will eventually find another job. When you do, get out of your neighborhood as soon as possible. I know about those neighborhoods because I am originally from Detroit and have watched my beloved neighborhood decay over the past 50 yrs. to the point that most of it had to be bulldozed; turning it back into prarie land.

Old 09-09-2011, 04:15 PM

66 posts, read 107,332 times
If I end up staying where I currently live for retirement, it will be because of my intractable husband. He wants to be "near family", but our adult kids are usually too busy to bother seeing us or are spending their free time with just their in-laws. I think if we move to a nice warm climate, they might decide to finally come visit us, and I won't have to put up with 5 months of winter and 70-80 inches of snow per year anymore!

Old 09-09-2011, 07:33 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,989,888 times
Except in rare cases;I have never been convinced that a place can make a unhappy person happy really. Most times its the person rather than the place from what I have seen.

Old 09-09-2011, 07:51 PM

16,133 posts, read 20,836,456 times
I'm not unhappy in Sierra Vista but I would be happier if I could afford to live in San Francisco

Old 09-09-2011, 09:11 PM

10,819 posts, read 8,073,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Except in rare cases;I have never been convinced that a place can make a unhappy person happy really. Most times its the person rather than the place from what I have seen.

We're kinda the opposite of the thread title: we're happy where we are but there are so many other wonderful places in the world. At last we'll have the chance to fully experience living in one or two of them.

Old 09-09-2011, 09:16 PM

10,819 posts, read 8,073,350 times
I"m a Texan who'd love to experience living in Chicago for a spell. Wouldn't it be nice if someone would set up a home swap site for retirees? If someone in Chicago wanted to give it a go for - say - 6 months to a year in Texas, then we could swap houses with them.
There are sites for house-trading in general but we retirees are different from "in general". We'd want longer swaps and would expect fewer bells and whistles.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
There are things I don't like about where I live, and when I think about places with milder climates, or less traffic or whatever, they seem more appealing. When I give those places long, hard thoughts I think of drawbacks that might outweigh their advantages. No place is perfect. I've lived in the Chicagoland area about 2/3 of my life now, and for better or worse, it feels like where I belong. I'm on the outskirts of it now, and we might have one more move left in us, but it probably wouldn't be much farther away.
Over the years, vacationing, I've often thought, I like this place. I could live here. But I think part of that feeling just came from the fact that we were on vacation not working! If there was a maintenance issue in the room or cottage, it wasn't our problem to solve. In other words, we were relaxed and temporarily without responsibilities and I think that was a factor in the "I could live here" feeling.

Old 09-09-2011, 10:08 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,638 posts, read 40,010,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I"m a Texan who'd love to experience living in Chicago for a spell. Wouldn't it be nice if someone would set up a home swap site for retirees?
I know several retirees who have house-sat / swapped during their search for a new retirement destination. There are several ways to connect, and many on our guest home travel directories post for swaps. My son just rented a very nice furnished place in Seattle, where the owners are leaving to participate in a pre-retirement search . long-term house sitting. *BTW: my S-I-L has been 'house sitting' in Hawaii for over 30 yrs !!

I am restructuring my income stream to avail me to rent a furnished flat in most any area I wish (internationally, especially).

Now for a solution for Casa Grande 'resort-type' primary house that will not sell anytime soon... I'm Not keen on swapping or renting it, due to detailed wood finish work / built-ins that very few folks aren't keen on knowing how to care for... Many visitors toss their keys on a half-wall 'cap' I made with clear hemlock (16" x 24 ft slab).

Chicago will be an ez place to fine a furnished rental / swap / house sitting. Do enjoy the library pass system that avails free museum passes to card holders.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 09-09-2011 at 10:19 PM..

Old 09-09-2011, 10:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,638 posts, read 40,010,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aquaboy View Post
Thus I have often talked neighbors into selling to me when they leave / pass-away. I have had several places where I bought the neighbor's places.
1) gives me a place to put needy parents
2) Avails a site for future caregiver for me
3) keeps ME in charge of choosing my immediate (snoopy/ LOUD) neighbors
4) has availed a source of income and appreciation.
5) gives me more control over my property values (as per neighbors)
6) allows opportunity for 'TAX-FREE' capital gains when selling as your primary residence every 24 months.

Quote:
I was 'downsized' 6 yrs ago and still looking for a way to 'retire', as jobs aren't too plentiful. (certainly not at my previous pay rate)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or