U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 10:41 AM

8,085 posts, read 4,417,699 times

Advertisements

I have a neighbor, 80, who developed shingles about 3 years ago. It is very debilitating, and does reoccur. Seeing what he goes through made the $300 I paid for a shingles vaccination at the county health department an easy decision. $250 or $300 is chump change compared to the misery of shingles. Spend the money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 10:50 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,471,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
My doctor advised that I get the Shingles Shot too -- and then he told me that it cost @ $250. From what I could find, Medicare and other insurance doesnt cover the cost.
Our insurance covered it 100%. We paid nothing and got it at Walgreen's which saved us the cost of a co-pay for an office visit. Same with our annual flu shots.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:30 AM

13,884 posts, read 25,311,688 times
Way back in 1976, I planned to retire in 2006. And have a ball for the rest of my life. Nothing ever works out the way you plan. Sometimes, things, life, just happen. As the TV says, it's unscripted.

First, I ended up taking care of my parents and his. Took longer than expected and because I couldn't sell my house when I planned, I lost 450K. Then the H and I split up. So here I sit, poor. In spite of all my planning and good intentions. And there is no way for me to make up that money with the economy and age discrimination working against me. And I live in Las Vegas where it's even worse than everywhere else.

But it's worth it not to have to live in Minnesota anymore. I've been poor before and I will become good at being poor again. I'm fortunate to be in good health so I will just do the best I can.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:28 PM

4,687 posts, read 5,535,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
What prompted yours? Was there a turning point in your life that made you decide - some seminal event - an epiphany - that told you it was time, or did you simply follow a long-decided upon plan and reach the ultimate goal?
I followed the plan I made when I was 21 ... to retire when I was 55. At 55, after a 34-year career, I was happy in my job and earning good money, but I followed the plan, and I'm extremely pleased to have done so.

Now the plan (I always have a plan) is to have as many years in retirement as I had working - 34. I realize that I'll have less control over this plan as my body continues to age and the pretty much inevitable medical issues crop up. But that's my goal, and I'll give it my best shot.

Old 08-03-2011, 01:51 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,471,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
I followed the plan I made when I was 21 ... to retire when I was 55. At 55, after a 34-year career, I was happy in my job and earning good money, but I followed the plan, and I'm extremely pleased to have done so.

Now the plan (I always have a plan) is to have as many years in retirement as I had working - 34. I realize that I'll have less control over this plan as my body continues to age and the pretty much inevitable medical issues crop up. But that's my goal, and I'll give it my best shot.
Hope ya make it! Who knows. I may hit 107 yet!

Old 08-03-2011, 06:23 PM

2,013 posts, read 4,993,382 times
My plan was to retire at 55 with 30 years of teaching. I had done all I could do for the department, facilities and curriculum and felt I would be leaving the program with vision and purpose for the next decade. An administrator asked if I would stay on (in my second area of certification) and clean up a program that had become "loosey goosey"; revamp the manuals, update curriculum and establish credibility and rigor to the curriculum. I was honored and felt that the challenge (as well as continued salary and benefits) would be a great adventure, even if only for a year or two. The first year was great, until it was too late to resign (without losing my sick pay accumulation), so I put in my hours over the summer and was optimistic about starting the second year of the revamped program. After about 4 weeks into the school year I called the same administrator and said "this is my last year, I'll be done in June." She was shocked, asked me if there was any particular reason for the decision and I told her that I had a plan (which I did) and I wanted to get started on it.

Retired in June of 2011, 32 years of teaching high school, 57 years old~financial house in good order, I will have a moderate pension but will pay 1/3 of it back for benefits unless I go with high deductible, lower premiums for catastrophic coverage only. The stress is gone, the sleepless nights are a faint memory, and I'm not stressing about getting my summer "to do" list done as I had for the last 32 years.

Was there one event? No~it was a conglomeration of several, all having to do with the job. I decided that it was time to take care of ME instead of others. I was tired, bored, ambivelant, and frustrated with the new position and the people in the department had a different work ethic than I was used to dealing with...rather than change them, I decided to quietly withdraw.

Old 08-04-2011, 01:59 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,354,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post

Wow! Not many 21 year-olds are disciplined enough and settled enough to plan something like that! I certainly was not. I didn't even settle into a career until I was 30.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:40 PM

5,356 posts, read 16,342,402 times
My plan is to retire in about 2-1/2 years at age 60. The original plan was to retire at age 65, but as the numbers became clearer, it jumped to 62 then to the current 60. I likely won't retire and earlier because of health benefits, which I'd have to pay the full cost until 60. Also, there's really nothing bad going on at work, other than I'm ready to stop. Of course that can change as many of the higher ups are about to retire and the replacements are a big unknown. I definitely won't be applying for my boss's job because of my short-timer's attitude.

Oh, I should add that I made decision about when to retire about 3 years ago.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:04 PM

983 posts, read 2,176,892 times
Wink You are too young to retire

That's what everyone is telling me. I have a really nice job, I work from home and I get to travel once every few month to another state for business. I am single and don't have kids, so my money is mine. I have been good the past 15-20 years and now have a nice nest-egg that I plan on growing a bit more the next few years. My goal is to retire when I reach 50 or before if I get a clear bill of health from my current condition, health insurance is my only concern. I would like to have a place paid for and be able to travel and do the things I keep putting off because I don't have time. I started taking classes to get a teaching degree, in case I decide to work part time. For now, I am enjoying my not too stressful job and my laid back life.

Old 08-04-2011, 05:42 PM

10,321 posts, read 9,372,412 times
My goal was to retire when I reached full retirement age for social security; and thankfully I was able to reach that goal!

About 5 years before retiring I adjusted my budget to reflect the amount I would be getting from s/s; and that helped a lot. Since I still had a paycheck, there were times I exceeded my budget; but for the most part I pretty much stayed on target. Now that I'm on s/s, the reduced monthly income is not stressful since I was already used to it.

I love retirement! The negative stress from work is history; my health has improved and my blood pressure is now at healthy levels; and the emotional and physical freedom that comes with retirement is priceless! And I love that when the weather is bad, I no longer have to drive in it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement