U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 08:27 AM

1,448 posts, read 2,586,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I thought is was rather funny that none of you ladies made a comment about my wife wearing a baseball cap sometimes AND she is in her early 60's! She wears one on our boat all the time and when we go to the gun/rifle range. I've seen a lot of girls in their 20's/30's wear a baseball cap, but haven't seen a lady my wife's age wearing one."

I don't see any reason to make comments on baseball cap. I have several baseball caps from wine vineyards and those are what I wear while walking, hiking, going to ball games, etc. I'm 59 so I'm not that much younger than your wife.

(Reply by Charles' better half)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 09:20 AM

8,611 posts, read 9,672,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Age, schmage. Whatever fits and is comfortable. I spent years having to dress up for work. Now I love my sweats and casuals. The sweats are for in the house. The casuals are for the public.

My favorite outfit is blue jeans and anything on top. And if anything even hints of tight or binding it's gone.

Of course, if I am going to a special function I will dress appropriately, but I am glad I don't have to do that every day.
I'm with you, girl! I wear sweats all winter and jeans, tee shirts and shorts in summer. I still have really good legs so shorts aren't a stretch although I DO get comments from family that they are "too short". LOL NOT "Daisy Dukes" but not knee length either. I guess once you reach "a certain age" shorter shorts are a no no?? Well, I live in HOT Arizona so shorts are always going to be part of my wardrobe. So there!

I have never been fashion concious and I detest clothes shopping. Part of that is because it's really hard for me to find clothes that not only fit but are also "age appropriate". I'm pretty small...5'1", 105 lbs. and very small boned. Adult size 3/4 are too big on me! I have to buy my pants/jeans in the girls dept. and wear a girls size 14-16 slim. A junior mini skirt hits my knees!

Most of my working life has required a uniform of some sort so clothes buying wasn't a top priority. Even so buying work pants was a royal pain! When I did work in offices I had more fashionable...for the time...clothes and enjoyed that. In the 70s I always said I was part of the *Polyester Pants Suit Set*. Glad those days are long gone!! I did like the shoes back then though. lol

Also, like you, I can't abide anything tight on me. I hate feeling like a sausage in tight casing! Loose and cool for me!

Old 08-03-2011, 09:29 AM

8,611 posts, read 9,672,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by isabella20 View Post
I'm still in good shape, so don't worry about what I wear in regard to age. I wear mostly casual clothes, but not sloppy, or too big...more form fitted. I wear my hair long and color it. It seems like most older women wear their hair short, but I like my hair long so don't see any reason to cut it. I guess I think it's important to wear what you like rather than what is dictated by your age. Also, I think dressing according to your age is a bit old fashioned. I think us baby boomers are changing that and are overall more youthful in appearance than are mothers and grandmothers were at the same age.
I wear my hair short for a couple of reasons. For one thing it's more convenient and secondly long hair "pulls" my face down and makes me look mad/sad all the time. Mostly I LIKE it short. I don't color my hair because my silver looks like it was done by my hairdresser! lol Natural frost, I guess. I definitely look younger than my grandmothers did at my age!

The clothes I wear can be worn by ANY age...and are! I see so many people at work who dress just like I do, of all ages. I work at Wal Mart so you can imagine I see hundreds of people every day, all ages, all sizes and all sorts of clothes.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:35 AM

6,948 posts, read 19,449,337 times
I took my first trip into a Kohl's recently to shop for school clothes for the grandkid and noticed they have a lot of comfy casual clothes. But a lot of them kind of look "Mrs. Roper-ish" (from the old show 3's Company) so don't know if I will go back to shop.

I do like Chico's ALOT.

Old 08-03-2011, 09:43 AM

7,338 posts, read 16,632,543 times
Well, I've seen older ladies wearing visor caps, as my wife's sister does, but never (that I can remember) wearing an actual baseball cap. I was just wondering because her two previous husbands didn't like her wearing a baseball cap. Apparently, some men and women think that some clothes are stictly for either men or women. Some men look at baseball caps as "manly", while some ladies look at jeans as too "manly". Years ago, I remember a lady telling me that she would never buy/wear jeans. She was in her 40's and told me "I wouldn't have a pair of those things in my wardrobe for any reason".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles in PGI View Post
I don't see any reason to make comments on baseball cap. I have several baseball caps from wine vineyards and those are what I wear while walking, hiking, going to ball games, etc. I'm 59 so I'm not that much younger than your wife.

(Reply by Charles' better half)

Old 08-03-2011, 12:42 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,586,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Well, I've seen older ladies wearing visor caps, as my wife's sister does, but never (that I can remember) wearing an actual baseball cap.

Women after a certain age prefer visor caps because the caps do not flatten their hairdos or give them hat head. I have straight hair and never use hair products so hat head and flat hairdo are not an issue for me.

Old 08-03-2011, 02:31 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,648,620 times
I wear baseball caps all the time. My hair has always been curly and the chemo I just finished has spurred a regrowth of positively kinky hair. So the caps sort of sit on top of my wild and woolly head.

But I wore baseball caps even before the chemo. I have always liked them to keep the sun off my head and shade my eyes. At one time I had quite a collection of various types. Now I have just a few but they are some of my favorite articles of clothing.

I have other hats but my caps are my favorite.

Old 08-03-2011, 03:13 PM

16,412 posts, read 5,348,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
OK, ladies, I'm often in the dark about a lot of things but what are batwings (sounds terrible) and can they be prevented? And if so, how?
"Batwings" refers to that flabby skin that hangs down from your upper arms when you are older and out of shape. When you raise your arms, you look like a bat.

The only way to prevent it is to keep the arms toned by using weights, rowing machines or other resistance exercises that target the biceps and triceps muscles. I go to the Y four times a week and do six different upper arm exercises. It's not fun, but my batwings have firmed up quite a bit.

Back to the topic, I think some clothing manufacturer would make a fortune if they would design a line of good-quality clothing made from natural fabrics in classic styles that are specifically designed to fit older women's bodies. Chico's are marketed to older women, but their fabrics are synthetic and cheap-looking, and many of the designs are too loud and flashy for me.

Last edited by Bayarea4; 08-03-2011 at 03:15 PM.. Reason: redundancy

Old 08-03-2011, 03:35 PM

5,154 posts, read 8,684,984 times
Smile Thank you so much!!

BayArea4,
Thank you! I asked several people today and they had no clue either. Is it when you raise your arms over your head or just out? I don't think I have them but I don't want them.

Is swimming good to eliminate these? I am a swimmer. I was a swimmer in my tweens and teens and always felt my arms looked "big" but I guess that was muscles!!

I do have a rowing machine. I think we'll become best friends. No problem there.

I've never been to Chico's myself but I've wandered into Talbots a few times and the clothes seem OK but I've never been overly excited. I sure miss Lord & Taylor, Jordan Marsh and the old Burdines (that is now Macys).

If you're from SF, I also miss I. Magnin - I went there a few times when I visited and I always brought back a few outfits and believe it or not, I have them still. Very classic. Beautiful clothing.

Last edited by Bette; 08-03-2011 at 03:37 PM.. Reason: Added words

Old 08-03-2011, 04:00 PM

433 posts, read 991,407 times
I. Magnin did have nice things, as well as a gorgeous women's restroom.

This is a coincidence! Just a minute ago I read about a study done by a fitness trainer organization that said the top three triceps exercises are triangle push-ups (new to me), dips and triceps kickbacks. Instructions on performing these exercises are on page 3 of this PDF.

https://www.acefitness.org/certified...icepsStudy.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or