U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 04:36 PM

5,176 posts, read 8,698,297 times

Advertisements

Wow! That's great - I'm really bad at pushups but I don't want batwings!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2011, 04:39 PM

438 posts, read 601,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Age, schmage. Whatever fits and is comfortable. I spent years having to dress up for work. Now I love my sweats and casuals. The sweats are for in the house. The casuals are for the public.

My favorite outfit is blue jeans and anything on top. And if anything even hints of tight or binding it's gone.

Of course, if I am going to a special function I will dress appropriately, but I am glad I don't have to do that every day.
Totally agree with Minervah here. I want to be comfortable. Guys dress comfortably all of their lives. I think it should be the same for women.

I'm sick of the tv shows such as Golden Girls, etc. where they show the women dressed up all the freaking time. Trying to put across their brainwashing that no matter what age, we women are all about our looks. They can stuff it.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:13 PM

16,423 posts, read 5,357,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
BayArea4,
Thank you! I asked several people today and they had no clue either. Is it when you raise your arms over your head or just out? I don't think I have them but I don't want them.

Is swimming good to eliminate these? I am a swimmer. I was a swimmer in my tweens and teens and always felt my arms looked "big" but I guess that was muscles!!

I do have a rowing machine. I think we'll become best friends. No problem there.

I've never been to Chico's myself but I've wandered into Talbots a few times and the clothes seem OK but I've never been overly excited. I sure miss Lord & Taylor, Jordan Marsh and the old Burdines (that is now Macys).

If you're from SF, I also miss I. Magnin - I went there a few times when I visited and I always brought back a few outfits and believe it or not, I have them still. Very classic. Beautiful clothing.
You're welcome, Bette! To answer your question about batwings, they are visible when you hold your arms straight out to the side and the flab hangs down. I'm not an exercise expert, but it seems logical to me that swimming might help because swimming works the arms.

Ah, I. Magnin! I miss it, too. It had that "old money" feeling about it. I couldn't afford their prices but I enjoyed browsing there and occasionally found something good on sale. There was also a J. Magnin store that catered to a younger crowd. I also remember shopping at Lord & Taylor's when I lived in New York.

I agree about Talbot's; the styles aren't that exciting, but at least the quality is superior to Chico's. Most department store clothing is so flimsy-looking and the styles only look good on 19-year-old fashion models. Have you noticed that dresses, even wedding dresses, hardly ever have sleeves any more? I think it's a conspiracy to charge the same prices for less product, and most of us older ladies -- with or without batwings -- don't look that good in sleeveless clothing. It's the same with shoes. A couple of thin leather strips mounted on an insole is not worth $250! Don't even get me started on flip-flops.

Last edited by Bayarea4; 08-03-2011 at 05:25 PM.. Reason: clarity

Old 08-03-2011, 05:30 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,672,920 times
My "bat wings" are more like elephant ears. I remember my aunt when she was my age and when she devleoped them. At the time I never thought I would be the proud wearer of these but it looks like I inherited auntie's old arms.

I solve the problem by not wearing sleeveless shirts. The only ones to see them are me and the cat.

Old 08-03-2011, 05:56 PM

13,890 posts, read 25,331,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
OK, ladies, I'm often in the dark about a lot of things but what are batwings (sounds terrible) and can they be prevented? And if so, how?
It's the lower hangy, baggy, ugly part of the upper arm that waves goodbye long after the rest of you stops.

If I ever trip over a bunch of money that can only be used for plastic surgery, that's my number one candidate.

They are caused by loose skin and age. They are made worse by extreme weight gains and losses over your lifetime. No amount of exercise can get rid of loose skin. Exercise can develop the muscles under the skin and help it look a little better.

The best way to avoid them is to be really thin all your life.

Old 08-03-2011, 06:06 PM

21,697 posts, read 23,672,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
It's the lower hangy, baggy, ugly part of the upper arm that waves goodbye long after the rest of you stops.

If I ever trip over a bunch of money that can only be used for plastic surgery, that's my number one candidate.

They are caused by loose skin and age. They are made worse by extreme weight gains and losses over your lifetime. No amount of exercise can get rid of loose skin. Exercise can develop the muscles under the skin and help it look a little better.

I disagree. I know women who have been thin all their lives and I was thin most of my life who never had bat winds until they became middle age or older.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:01 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,589,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I disagree. I know women who have been thin all their lives and I was thin most of my life who never had bat winds until they became middle age or older.
Ditto. I was born thin and I'm still thin; all my life, my weight has always been at the low end of the ideal range for my age and frame, still, I'm developing flabby arms now. With husband's encouragement, I use hand weights and do push-ups every day to halt the flab.

Old 08-03-2011, 07:15 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,860,713 times
OMG. I Magnin is a blast from the past. I LOVED that store. There was J. Magnin too, but I Magnin was amazing!

Old 08-04-2011, 06:27 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,355,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I thought is was rather funny that none of you ladies made a comment about my wife wearing a baseball cap sometimes AND she is in her early 60's!
I wear a baseball cap sometimes, and I'm also in my early 60's. It's not strictly a baseball cap, got it on a cruise to Tahiti 11 years ago, but I love that cap. I decided recently that I need to get another one, but I'll wait until I'm in Florida this winter.

Last edited by Wwanderer; 08-04-2011 at 06:43 PM..

Old 08-04-2011, 07:27 PM

973 posts, read 1,490,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post

But the scarring I see is horrific! And me, I scar terribly!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or