Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 09:55 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,782,842 times

Advertisements

Oh, How Nice To Know I Am Not Alone In Rejecting "the IN Styles" !!!!!!

What a wonderful thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 10:10 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,353,463 times
Yeah, I figure when I turned 65 I earned the right to be comfortable and choose my own style. I don't feel I have to have a "look" for anyone but myself.

Old 08-05-2011, 06:07 AM

973 posts, read 1,701,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Yeah, I figure when I turned 65 I earned the right to be comfortable and choose my own style. I don't feel I have to have a "look" for anyone but myself.
Interesting comment. But is this "look" who you always have been or had you conformed previously and decided now you were going to be YOU. Or a little of both?

See, I am not sure what the "look" today is suppose to be for us...unless it is the stereotypical garb that my mother wore and Estelle on The Golden Girls.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:18 AM

13,498 posts, read 18,121,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Age, schmage. Whatever fits and is comfortable. I spent years having to dress up for work. Now I love my sweats and casuals. The sweats are for in the house. The casuals are for the public.

My favorite outfit is blue jeans and anything on top. And if anything even hints of tight or binding it's gone.

Of course, if I am going to a special function I will dress appropriately, but I am glad I don't have to do that every day.
I am a man, but I want to second those sentiments.

I have, however, gone one step farther. Upon retiring I got rid of every suit and sport jacket I owned. Never again for those monkey clothes!

Old 08-05-2011, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanwoman54 View Post
Interesting comment. But is this "look" who you always have been or had you conformed previously and decided now you were going to be YOU. Or a little of both?

See, I am not sure what the "look" today is suppose to be for us...unless it is the stereotypical garb that my mother wore and Estelle on The Golden Girls.
Good question. I began working in offices in the early 60's when women had to wear what I always thought were restrictive clothing especially in light of the fact it was even before pant suits and I was never really comfortable in skirts. I hate nylon stockings. Or whatever they later came to be made of. They itched!

I conformed when I had to but when I was on my own, it was jeans, T's and whatever I felt good in.

When I mentioned a "look" I was thinking more of any type appearance to which someone may be striving to show the world.

Maybe today's elder "look" can be seen on "Hot In Cleveland" where Betty White wears sweats but they are nice sweats and colorful.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:31 AM

973 posts, read 1,701,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post

I have, however, gone one step farther. Upon retiring I got rid of every suit and sport jacket I owned. Never again for those monkey clothes!

I hope you have exaggerated and kept at least one!!! Appropriate dress IS sometimes a suit or a sports jacket. And what is wrong with them anyway??? To me, a man looks sharp in them... esp. a sports jacket and jeans.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:48 AM

8,893 posts, read 20,292,480 times
Actually, I wore a nice sports jacket/shirt/tie and Wrangler jeans at my wedding! It was a Western style wedding and also had on my boots and cowboy hat on (took off at the Alter for the ceremony, however). Went to a Company Christmas Party and wore a nice sports coat/button down collar Western shirt, Wrangler jeans and my boots. Even though I dressed completely different than anyone else at the party, including my wife, I looked GOOD and my wife agreed! That was in 2003, when I weighed a little less than I do now For Easter Sunday Service and Christmas Eve Service, I will wear a suit coat, slacks, shirt/tie and dress shoes........doesn't bother me at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanwoman54 View Post
I hope you have exaggerated and kept at least one!!! Appropriate dress IS sometimes a suit or a sports jacket. And what is wrong with them anyway??? To me, a man looks sharp in them... esp. a sports jacket and jeans.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:49 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,733,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post

My husband didn't have to do that, since he worked in jeans most of his life. He has one suit for weddings/funerals and a few pairs of khakis for cruises.

He also has begun, for the first time, to wear shorts on occasion, with sandals.

Old 08-05-2011, 09:12 AM

26,648 posts, read 28,516,169 times
I've always admired women who still have a sense of style even when they're older. I want to be like that too.

I'm not talking nylons and heels or anything else uncomfortable but women who will wear a nice blazer or cute casual summer dresses with sandals. I see too many people who let themselves go and way too many who go around in sweats and sneakers.

I think the sweats are very practical for the really really old people who can barely dress themselves or need to be dressed by someone but until you reach that stage I think it's nice to still take some pride in the way you dress.

It goes for men too, as someone already said--great to see them in a sports jacket once in a while. Mine is starting to wear shorts and sandals too and why not? It's comfy and he looks good.

Old 08-05-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Actually, I wore a nice sports jacket/shirt/tie and Wrangler jeans at my wedding! It was a Western style wedding and also had on my boots and cowboy hat on (took off at the Alter for the ceremony, however). Went to a Company Christmas Party and wore a nice sports coat/button down collar Western shirt, Wrangler jeans and my boots. Even though I dressed completely different than anyone else at the party, including my wife, I looked GOOD and my wife agreed! That was in 2003, when I weighed a little less than I do now For Easter Sunday Service and Christmas Eve Service, I will wear a suit coat, slacks, shirt/tie and dress shoes........doesn't bother me at all.
One of the things I dislike about fashion and fashistas is it (they)try to dictate what does and does not look good.

It's all in the eye of the beholder. To me, this is a much sexier and good looking outfit than a boring old business suit. My personal preferrence for men is a jacket and blue jeans.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement