U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 12:22 PM

5,177 posts, read 8,701,447 times

Advertisements

My husband has to wear dress shirts to work and looks fine. Years ago, he was an usher at our church. All the men wore suits. I always thought he looked so good.

Then, our church started getting more casual and it just doesn't seem the place

I'm cool with whatever one feels good in. My husband refuses to wear sandals though (with shorts) and I just hate hate hate the white sock thing going on. Ugh!! (He doesn't pull them up like some men do - our son even bought the real short ones but he wears them where you see about 6 inches of the white). Still ugh!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 01:05 PM

647 posts, read 1,037,355 times
I'm 68 and love Lands End clothes; classic styles, well made, nice colors, and their clothes pretty much cover whatever I'll need.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:06 PM

1,448 posts, read 2,589,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
My husband refuses to wear sandals though (with shorts) and I just hate hate hate the white sock thing going on. Ugh!! (He doesn't pull them up like some men do - our son even bought the real short ones but he wears them where you see about 6 inches of the white). Still ugh!!
What about flip-flops? There are many styles of flip-flops that are very good looking and some even have built-in arch support. He wouldn't be able to wear socks with them unless he were Japanese.

Old 08-05-2011, 01:23 PM

7,340 posts, read 16,653,411 times
This is the way I grew up......wearing a suit to church. Today, some churches became more modernized and informal. We are going to look for a new church, but at our current one, I see numerous young adults wearing faded out jeans, shorts and even thongs. As for myself, I like the more "traditional" look, but many churches cater to young families who, apparently, don't believe in dressing up for church.
Actually, I can hardly wait til it gets warm enough to slip into a a pair of shorts and my tennis shoes. I don't own sandals. On our boat, it's shorts, tenny's and a short sleeved shirt. I'm not comfortable at all taking my shirt off........I don't have the chest/tummy I had 20 yrs ago!

Quote:
My husband has to wear dress shirts to work and looks fine. Years ago, he was an usher at our church. All the men wore suits. I always thought he looked so good.

Then, our church started getting more casual and it just doesn't seem the place I'm cool with whatever one feels good in. My husband refuses to wear sandals though (with shorts) and I just hate hate hate the white sock thing going on. Ugh!! (He doesn't pull them up like some men do - our son even bought the real short ones but he wears them where you see about 6 inches of the white). Still ugh!!

Old 08-05-2011, 09:51 PM

Smile I wish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles in PGI View Post
What about flip-flops? There are many styles of flip-flops that are very good looking and some even have built-in arch support. He wouldn't be able to wear socks with them unless he were Japanese.
He has OK feet too!! No scars or anything. He won't the flip flops either; I love the shorts on a guy, Tommy shirt and the sandals or loafers. But, I'm a preppy girl.

I just know I can't push it.

Even our kids try to point him in the sandal direction

Old 08-05-2011, 09:55 PM

Smile As long as they come in (no perfect people!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
This is the way I grew up......wearing a suit to church. Today, some churches became more modernized and informal. We are going to look for a new church, but at our current one, I see numerous young adults wearing faded out jeans, shorts and even thongs. As for myself, I like the more "traditional" look, but many churches cater to young families who, apparently, don't believe in dressing up for church.
Actually, I can hardly wait til it gets warm enough to slip into a a pair of shorts and my tennis shoes. I don't own sandals. On our boat, it's shorts, tenny's and a short sleeved shirt. I'm not comfortable at all taking my shirt off........I don't have the chest/tummy I had 20 yrs ago!
Our church is really cool but what I meant is that the ushers (usually 40 and up) usually wore suits and they all look good but the church decided at 1 of the services to try the more casual approach for the ushers and they just didn't look uniform. Hard to explain.

But, when he would usher and walk by, I still would feel that little tingle I used to get. He just looks great in a suit!

And as far as what people wear to church, as long as they come with an open mind and are ready to listen, that's better than fretting about what to wear!!

Old 08-05-2011, 11:23 PM

Well, perhaps it's partly my age and partly that I'm so darn traditional in some things.........but seeing faded jeans and thongs to me just isn't appropriate church wear! Heck, I don't even like a Praise Band either. I'd just like seeing young adult men wearing nice slacks/shirt, a good choir, a church organ player and a Pastor around my age. One guy in a Bible Study, at the church we've been going to, told us that him and his wife don't go to the regular service cause the Praise Band is too loud and sounds more like a rock & roll concert than church. They are about 10 yrs old than us and I do agree with him. Actually, I've even seem some young ladies wearing questionable attire at church (lowcut tops, short skirts and 4" high heels)........NOW, COME ON!!!

Quote:
Our church is really cool but what I meant is that the ushers (usually 40 and up) usually wore suits and they all look good but the church decided at 1 of the services to try the more casual approach for the ushers and they just didn't look uniform. Hard to explain.

But, when he would usher and walk by, I still would feel that little tingle I used to get. He just looks great in a suit!

And as far as what people wear to church, as long as they come with an open mind and are ready to listen, that's better than fretting about what to wear!!

Old 08-07-2011, 07:16 AM

973 posts, read 1,490,411 times
Question to the ladies: I have one more week to walk my beach in the morning before school begins. AND this thought came to my mind. What type of bathing suit do you wear and when did you notice you had to change the style, if you did? I do not have a Helen Mirren body, so no bikini for me, but I do wear a tankini. Does anyone have a preferred style??

Old 08-07-2011, 07:57 AM

Just looked at that "tankini" online and from what I seen (one website was Victoria's Sectret), if a gal has the body for that, it's fine. My wife wears a one-piece swimsuit along with a pair of shorts. The swimsuit is high-cut. She doesn't like any kind of low-cut tops on herself. Depending on the style of this swimsuit, many older/Senior ladies just don't have a thin of a enough body to even wear it. Now, 10 plus years ago, she did have a thin enough body, but my cooking sure hasn't helped either of us! Heck, from the waist-to-the-neck, I'm somewhat bigger due to age/eating/slow-up of the old mettabolism rate!
In all honesty, you may not want to know the type of swimsuits the 55 plus ladies wear! As far as us older men, most of us aren't running up and down the beach in Speedo swimsuits! We may WISH we could, but.........

Last edited by LoveBoating; 08-07-2011 at 08:40 AM..

Old 08-07-2011, 09:14 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,445,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Americanwoman54 View Post
Question to the ladies: I have one more week to walk my beach in the morning before school begins. AND this thought came to my mind. What type of bathing suit do you wear and when did you notice you had to change the style, if you did? I do not have a Helen Mirren body, so no bikini for me, but I do wear a tankini. Does anyone have a preferred style??

bikini - still have the body for it but the thighs are getting crapey. Depressing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or