U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2011, 07:44 PM

4,052 posts, read 5,149,021 times

Advertisements

This idea came from another thread but a great idea because we all come from different styles and ideas.

Last week, there was an article on Jackie Kennedy and she did dress beautifully. So classic.

When I was at the mall yesterday, I walked out with lovely woman most likely in her 80's and made sure she got to her car OK. She reminded so of my mother - matching shoes and purse, hair beautifully done, lovely outfit.

I myself am and always have been a preppy person so most of the clothes I have are very classic, probably boring to some but even at 25, I hated my arms and usually wore long sleeves even then. I also worked with people who loved the temperature at 75 when I was always cold so that helped too!

What type of clothing are you attracted to? What have you found that works well for the ages?

Retailers that carry good selections for the over 50 set?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2011, 07:55 PM

13,596 posts, read 10,666,963 times
Age, schmage. Whatever fits and is comfortable. I spent years having to dress up for work. Now I love my sweats and casuals. The sweats are for in the house. The casuals are for the public.

My favorite outfit is blue jeans and anything on top. And if anything even hints of tight or binding it's gone.

Of course, if I am going to a special function I will dress appropriately, but I am glad I don't have to do that every day.

Old 08-01-2011, 07:58 PM

2,650 posts, read 2,738,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Age, schmage. Whatever fits and is comfortable. I spent years having to dress up for work. Now I love my sweats and casuals. The sweats are for in the house. The casuals are for the public.

My favorite outfit is blue jeans and anything on top. And if anything even hints of tight or binding it's gone.

Of course, if I am going to a special function I will dress appropriately, but I am glad I don't have to do that every day.
Ditto! I'm all about being comfortable. I try to look put together and feminine but comfort is primary.

Old 08-01-2011, 08:11 PM

433 posts, read 586,729 times
Anything that is comfortable and appropriate for the occasion is fine. Most of the events I attend are informal, so dark boot-cut jeans and nice tees work well.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:16 PM

410 posts, read 390,261 times
You go girls, Minervah & sayulita!

I grew up in the 50's and early 60's. The clothing style was casual but chic. No styles for the young people that made us look like sluts back in those days Still love that simple casual style today. Like Minerva, give me jeans, sweats, tee & sweat shirts & comfortable shoes. Spent too many years wearing 3 piece suits and the appropriate shoes while working.

Since moving East from Arizona I have noticed that senior women while dressing casual seem to think they cannot go anywhere without applying lot's of makeup and wearing tons of jewelry; especially earrings. Of course, we have to keep earrings in our ears to prevent the holes from closing up. Attending church is much different. Still have to get decked out because God expects it. Well maybe not so much God, but what would the other parisoners think about me if I showed up in jeans or pants. Curses!

Here in my neck of the woods, we have a wonderful selection of clothing for seniors at Belk's Dept. Store & Christopher & Banks a ladies dress store. Both have quality clothing and have great sales quite often. I worry that Federated Dept. Stores (Macy's) is going to snap up Belk's like they did with Robinsons May in the West and Kaufman's in the Mid-Atlantic.

I for one have never been concerned that much about fashion and do not intend to start now. As long as my clothes are fairly fashionable, clean and not wrinkled, I am good to go. As far as my nightware, that is a big secret. Say dusters.

Old 08-01-2011, 11:53 PM

10,107 posts, read 14,420,016 times
I have never cared about clothing and, in fact, not having to pay attention to dress is an important job requirement for me (as I post from my night shift at the psychiatric hospital).
I assume I'll be just as indifferent in retirement. I'd have trouble pulling together anything for a funeral, these days, I guess my taupe job-hunting outfit would do. I should check and see if it's moth-eaten or anything.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:30 AM

7,290 posts, read 5,307,671 times
Not very inspiring . . . I grew up in the fifties and came of age in the sixties (in terms of my fashion sense). The clothes were TO DIE FOR. The fabrics were amazing. Even in department stores (Macy's, Emporium) you could find fine wool skirts and blazers, beautiful high quality cotton Oxford shirts, and amazing, chic dresses (ala Jackie Kennedy) - shifts, dressy-dresses, jackets, blazers, skirts (pleated, straight, A-Line) . . .cute, stylish shoes in every color, fish-net stockings in the height of the mod phase . . . There were also boutiques - lots of them . . .with delicate eyelet blouses, crocheted bikinis, cute/casual shifts and dresses, one-of-a-kind earrings . . . there were fabrics with patterns, good quality cotton fabrics, fine wools, and hand crocheted "shells" - I had one in baby blue, white . . .

And when I would get bored of my clothes, I would go in my mother's closet where she had the cool 1940's garb (furs, wedgie shoes, jewelry) . . .and I would spray on the Channel No. 5 on my way out - or the Chantilly . . .

Fast forward to now . . .horrible design, cheap fabrics, no boutiques . . . no imagination. I would KILL for my old wardrobe . . .the navy blue Pea Coat, the Oxford shirts, the skirts, the dresses . . . all of it except the girdles (and they were the kind that had the fasteners for stockings . . . when I was a junior in high school!!!) . . .

Old 08-02-2011, 12:46 AM

3,977 posts, read 5,710,138 times
I am about your age, imcurious. I hated the fact I had to press every shirt I owned and get my skirts drycleaned. I hated the pickiness of snotty people I went to school with who had more money than I and sniped about "we ONLY shop at Saks and Lord & Taylor"... a few outfits at Macy's was "the big time" for me. Shoes, you bought the best you could. That was worth it. Purses as well. However, I learned to sew and had darn nice clothes for HS. Then I went to college and jeans were mey best friend... they still are today: Jeans, tees, sweatshirts and turtlenecks. Sandals in summer and sneakers spring and fall and boots in winter when needed. When I retired, I gave my SIL all my work clothes. [In my closet, I will admit, sit several classic sheath dresses with jackets, used in desperation for necessity only -- all dark.... usually, they get used for funerals. That is my only acknowledgement to fashion and it never was fashionable to be "classic" for years! ]]

Old 08-02-2011, 01:35 AM

1,668 posts, read 1,271,083 times
These days i take comfort over fashion, smart casual does me, but whatever happened to the beautiful materials of the 50's 60's the stuff today is mostly made from petroleum waste products.I prefer pure linen,cotten and wool.

Old 08-02-2011, 02:09 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,332,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
The fabrics were amazing... beautiful high quality cotton Oxford shirts, and amazing, chic dresses (ala Jackie Kennedy) - shifts, dressy-dresses, jackets, blazers, skirts (pleated, straight, A-Line) . . .cute, stylish shoes in every color, fish-net stockings in the height of the mod phase . . .
And when I would get bored of my clothes, I would go in my mother's closet .and I would spray on the Channel No. 5 on my way out - or the Chantilly . . .

I would KILL for my old wardrobe . . .the navy blue Pea Coat, the Oxford shirts, the skirts, the dresses . . .

I don't miss the classic since I'm still wearing them today. Being allergic to synthetic, all my clothes are in natural fabrics. Linen, cotton, silk, wool, cashmere, camel. Tiny polka dot or white linen boat-neck shifts, white shirts with or without cuffs, herringbone blazers, straight cut black trousers, turtleneck sweaters. Don't have a navy pea coat, but I do have double-breasted trench coats in navy, black, and beige. Shoes? I stopped wearing high heels (both on boots and dress shoes) 10 years ago so only loafers now. Chanel No 5? Never been without it for the last 40 years.

Of course, I also wear jeans, T-shirts and sneakers, but nothing with logos or designer names prominently displayed.

(Note: Post by Charles' better half)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement