U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 08:36 PM

2,042 posts, read 3,629,622 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
i wasn't so happy with the k-mart jeans but the gap jeans are not bad. if you want good jeans the EJ KORVETTES ones were really good.
I tend to buy the cheapest jeans I can find~ and they still last for years!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2013, 10:13 PM

8,809 posts, read 7,715,872 times
I'd agree with the OP. My inlaws smoked part of their life, never exercised and were overweight. FIL died at 96 and MIL is still going at 94. He was healthy and working till about 90. He was still going deer hunting at that age. IN fact, he bagged a trophy. He was mentally very good till the day he died. He had 4 sisters and they all lived into their 90's or are still alive.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:25 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,737,753 times
This is why I save like crazy for retirement...my family lives FOREVER...must be all that good Mormon living. Everyone lives to be over 100. No cancer, no heart disease, nothing, nada...Just kick off in their sleep from a stroke...or whatever, after all, when you die at home over 100, the autopsy is pretty quick...

Old 08-30-2013, 11:23 PM

10,819 posts, read 8,071,380 times
Genes are funny things. We all have lots of 'em, from many different sources: 2 parents, 4 grandparents, 8 great-grandparents, 16 gg-grandparents, etc.

How do we know which ones we got and which ones we didn't? In my dream health/longevity scenario, I've got mom's but not her mom's genes; with luck, I've got her mom's mom's mom's genes. Hopefully I've not got dad's genes but it'd really work out well if I have dad's mom's genes.

It'd be cool if I have mom's mom's dad's mom's dad's genes. He lived to be active and lively until he was 112 years old. Oh wait, he was full of bull and that news story was a total crock; according to census records he was actually only 92 years old when the story was published. Hope I didn't get that 'total crock' gene. Pretty sure my oldest son did.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:52 PM

39,553 posts, read 47,780,182 times
Good Genes Are The Key To Long Life
In one of our families we had a bad Gene, he went to prison and didn't live very long in there, died at 39.

Old 08-31-2013, 09:22 AM

4,881 posts, read 4,856,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado xxxxx View Post
Strongly agree. I have seen people with good genes smoke and drink a lot and live to 80. I have seen those with bad genes eat organic not smoke and die before 70.
^^^^Me too. Why did our pediatrician die at 40 who was a health nut and exercised?
Why did my grandfather who did practically every destructive thing possible live to be 70
while my father who took care of himself and died at 41 but his sister who was sick died at 93?

Old 08-31-2013, 09:37 AM

15,847 posts, read 30,377,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
"Julie Jones turned 90 in June, outlasting all of her four siblings after her longest-living brother died just over a week ago at 88. How did she live so long? Not because she was constantly Jazzercizing, denying herself a yummy peanut butter sandwich or staying away from a fun party. As someone who hates exercise, who loves an occasional scotch on the rocks or a chocolate milkshake from McDonald's, and who smoked for many years, Mrs. Jones says she comes by her longevity naturally. Her mother lived until she was 96."

The rest of the story and information about the study of people 95 - 112 is here:

Study: Live it up and live a long life - Washington Times
I agree that genetics plays a huge part in longevity. My mother and father both lived approximately to the same age as their parents, give or take a year or two, despite the fact that their lifestyles, diets, etc., were dramatically different. My mother used to say that we all have a clock that is wound up inside of us and when it is time to go, it is time to go, and nothing can change that.

Since medical care is responsible for more than 100,000 deaths a year the best advice would be to "stay out of them places".

20yrsinBranson

Old 08-31-2013, 11:35 AM

18,852 posts, read 31,737,753 times
Is is genetics? Or lifestyle? My family, on both sides, for generations, Latter Day Saints, no smoking, drinking, and very industrious. Skiing, hiking, eating mainly home grown fruit and vegetables. Meat was pretty much for Sunday dinner, and that was it. Food, cooking, and eating was never really a focus in my family as a child, we were always getting ready to go do some activity, and would grab some apples or cheese to take with us. And of course, there was no liquor in our home.

My Grandparents never ate fast food, they thought it was too expensive, and a waste of money. Depression era thinking.

Great Grandparents, and Grandparents on both sides of my family lived well into their nineties, and three went over 100.

Old 08-31-2013, 04:58 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,751,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by augiedogie View Post
I'd agree with the OP. My inlaws smoked part of their life, never exercised and were overweight. FIL died at 96 and MIL is still going at 94. He was healthy and working till about 90. He was still going deer hunting at that age. IN fact, he bagged a trophy. He was mentally very good till the day he died. He had 4 sisters and they all lived into their 90's or are still alive.
"Never exercised"? Sorry, but deer hunting is exercise. Exercise doesn't have to be done at a gym. Your father-in-law was actively engaged in life at an advanced age, a factor known to favor longevity.

Old 08-31-2013, 08:14 PM

14,547 posts, read 17,559,867 times
I took all the direct ancestors with full dates, guestamating a few based on marriage to death, and wrote down the lifespan. Its very interesting that the only ones who died early were women, mostly in childbearing ages. Or they'd had a lot of kids. My five x ggrandfather who got shipped here as a convict in 1718 lived till 91. His three x ggrandfather who was displaced during the civil war lived to 9/(5. Lots of men who lived into their eighties. Lots of women who lived to the late seventies and some older. My mom died young, but her sister lived to the mid eighties, even with severe arthritus. Dad's sister lived to a hundred.

My guess is overall there are a lot of good genes. These were people who didn't live easy lives, not much in medical science, some very hard trials, but they were still long lived by their own times standards. And they were determined people who didn't let problems stop them from going on.

I wonder how much that attitude has to do with it. Way back then, it would certainly be a survival characteristic which one would want to have, and would hope to engrain in their offspring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or