U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 06:47 AM

34,673 posts, read 33,676,768 times

Advertisements

"Julie Jones turned 90 in June, outlasting all of her four siblings after her longest-living brother died just over a week ago at 88. How did she live so long? Not because she was constantly Jazzercizing, denying herself a yummy peanut butter sandwich or staying away from a fun party. As someone who hates exercise, who loves an occasional scotch on the rocks or a chocolate milkshake from McDonald's, and who smoked for many years, Mrs. Jones says she comes by her longevity naturally. Her mother lived until she was 96."

The rest of the story and information about the study of people 95 - 112 is here:

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/...=all#pagebreak
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 06:55 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,471,910 times
Good genes don't hurt. My family is relatively short-lived. The average age of death for men is 71. I'll turn 65 in a few days and hope to surpass them by a comfortable margin. My wife's family tends to hang around 'til their mid-80s. The family of the mother of my children, from whom I divorced 17 years ago, has a history of members living well into their 90s while her paternal grandmother lived to within a few days shy of 101.

I hope my five children benefit from their mother's life gene rather than mine. As for the rest of their makeup, my genes would be preferable.

Old 08-04-2011, 06:59 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
If good genes are they key to longevity, some of us are doomed.

On the other hand, my grandparents and greatgrandparents on both sides did not live past mid-70s. My mother's brother passed at 70. My dad, at 62.

My mother, on the other hand, without any good genes behind her, lived to 92, completely independently in her own house (that's house, not apt or condo!), did her own housework and cooking and up to age 75, most of her own yardwork. She was always on the slim side, never ate real junk but loved her bakery muffins, white breads, and coffee. She ate lots of eggs and (commercial brand) oatmeal. The key to her old age was, imo, eating very little, doing her own housework and doing the stairs, and constant belligerence toward everything and everybody!

Old 08-04-2011, 08:57 AM

1,769 posts, read 2,441,374 times
I don't want to live to be really old but in my family most folks go until their late 80's. Our most famous ancestor is my great aunt who outlived 5 husbands and had children by all of them! Our family reunions were very confusing.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:22 AM

12,686 posts, read 14,068,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
If good genes are they key to longevity, some of us are doomed....
Indeed! The males in both my paternal and maternal families have not been long-lived, and my father's family appears to be prey to a very nasty genetic defect which has manifested itself in me with a vengeance.

So, what's left? Good living and good luck, I guess.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:24 AM

419 posts, read 657,829 times
Here is another article on the same subject:
100-Year-Olds Just as Unhealthy as the Rest of Us - Yahoo! News

I have never paid much attention to articles & reports on what is good for us, what is bad for us and blah, blah , blah. I suppose these researchers & reporters have a large attentive audience or they would stop flooding us with information which is always subject to change.

I do not deprive myself of any food or activities that I enjoy. However, I do throw in a little common sense when making choices.

Besides, what is the fascination of extending one's life to the centurian mark? I am ready to check out of here when I can no longer take care of my basic needs. Without some miracle, I know that my money will never last another 30+ years to pay for decent care. That's just me.

Maybe we all should start buying lottery tickets if we have the goal to live extend our lives beyond what is a reasonable life span. Another question for debate: Just what is a reasonable life span?

Old 08-04-2011, 09:53 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,471,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
Here is another article on the same subject:
100-Year-Olds Just as Unhealthy as the Rest of Us - Yahoo! News

I have never paid much attention to articles & reports on what is good for us, what is bad for us and blah, blah , blah. I suppose these researchers & reporters have a large attentive audience or they would stop flooding us with information which is always subject to change.

I do not deprive myself of any food or activities that I enjoy. However, I do throw in a little common sense when making choices.

Besides, what is the fascination of extending one's life to the centurian mark? I am ready to check out of here when I can no longer take care of my basic needs. Without some miracle, I know that my money will never last another 30+ years to pay for decent care. That's just me.

Maybe we all should start buying lottery tickets if we have the goal to live extend our lives beyond what is a reasonable life span. Another question for debate: Just what is a reasonable life span?
I always said that if I did everything "they" say is necessary to live to be 100, I wouldn't have any reason to want to live to 100.

To me, a "reasonable" lifespan is one that lasts so long as there is a reasonable quality of life.

Old 08-04-2011, 09:57 AM

5,165 posts, read 8,689,130 times
Smile Long livers

On my dad's side, my grandfather lived to 95; my grandmother to 99. On my mother's side, her dad was 90, her mom was 89. My own parents were 72 and 89 when they passed.

On my husband's side, his dad is 88, his aunts are 90 and 92 so we'll see.
Their father died at 60 of a stroke. You never know.

I agree with the prior poster. Personally, I don't want to be lying in a bed having to be changed. Ugh!

What is kind of cool is that my mom's parents both passed away in their sleep. My grandfather kind of knew. He told my grandmother the day before he wanted to go and visit his hometown; they did that, had a wonderful time, called all the relatives, he went to bed that night and never woke up.

I remember him as a kind, nice man. I was in my teens when he passed away.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:08 AM

419 posts, read 657,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I always said that if I did everything "they" say is necessary to live to be 100, I wouldn't have any reason to want to live to 100.
My sentiments exactly! Actually, maybe living to 90 would be stretching it.

Old 08-04-2011, 10:23 AM

7,288 posts, read 10,851,419 times
I personally can't understand the appeal of living to be 130. It's like it is a contest to see how old you can get to be before you croak.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or