U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 01:34 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,871,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Richard Bach, Illusions: "Argue for your limitations and, sure enough, they're yours."
I've lived long enough to know what my shortcomings and preferences are. If you want to frame that as "limitations," not a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 02:11 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,519,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I've lived long enough to know what my shortcomings and preferences are. If you want to frame that as "limitations," not a problem.
For you I do!

Old 08-05-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
For you I do!
Oakie Doakie! "What you think of me is none of my business . . ."

Old 08-05-2011, 02:36 PM

Does anyone know what the train situation is in the U.S. - any experiences with that form of travel . . .pros and cons?

Old 08-05-2011, 03:03 PM

5,356 posts, read 16,361,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
There is no need to cruise with a couple of thousand other people. There are plenty of small ships from which to choose. In fact, one trip I'm currently researching for next summer is a river cruise on a barge that only has 12 passengers. Here's an example:

‪French barge cruises in France. Barging the canals of France and other european waterways‬‏ - YouTube
We have friends who did a trip like this. One of the things they liked about it was they didn't have to pack up each day to go to the next city. It made it a more relaxing vacation.

Old 08-05-2011, 03:40 PM

28,287 posts, read 39,947,386 times
Quote:
There is no need to cruise with a couple of thousand other people. There are plenty of small ships from which to choose. In fact, one trip I'm currently researching for next summer is a river cruise on a barge that only has 12 passengers. Here's an example:

‪French barge cruises in France. Barging the canals of France and other european waterways‬‏ - YouTube
I read the description to Mrs. Tek. "Send me the link!", was what I got as a response. We've been looking at these types of cruises for a couple of years now and that one looks like what we want to do.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:08 PM

28,287 posts, read 39,947,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
It's more the emphasis on food (dressing for dinner? Not for me) and shows and spectacle and the artificial environment than gambling that makes me think of Las Vegas. We have a number of neighbors who like to cruise and looking at their pictures and hearing their stories makes me think it's not anything I'd like to do. I also don't care for resort hotels and don't stay in them.

And I think one of my impressions was colored by dealing with a sobbing older woman in Hawaii who had missed the pick-up due to a taxi problem. I finally found a cruise line rep, who was being remarkably unhelpful about her situation.
Oddly enough we don't really notice that there are a lot of people except when we first get on and then get off for the end of the trip. Even then they stagger the "exit" so that it's not a madhouse. On the ship itself it's not very evident that you are sharing it with a couple of thousand people.

For dining you don't have to dress up. There are formal nights, yes, but there are plenty of other places to eat where you can walk in with shorts and a tee on. We usually only go to one show while we're cruising. There's enough to do that we don't feel we have the time to go to more than one.

For us the entire reason for cruising (other than decompression from life as we know it) is getting off the ship at the ports of call and doing something fun. Our first cruise found us going on a day sail in the Eastern Caribbean, for snorkeling and lunch. The boat we booked takes a max of six people. Enjoy the day sailing, swimming, snorkeling and relaxing This was one of the best days we've ever had. The weather was perfect and the two young men manning the boat were great. Every time we passed another boat everyone on both yelled "Arrrr, Matey!" as loud as possible. They took us to a beach where there were three people sunning for snorkeling. Cruise ship day sails will dump you with a couple of hundred others.

On our second (last so far) cruise the best day was going on a zip line at Roatan. Second best day (That day sail really was amazing). What a blast!! Lots of beach days on that cruise.

Anyway, cruising is probably not quite what you envision. But, if you can't be entertained by things like wine tasting, English breakfasts, lunch with strangers (You pick a table and someone you've never met joins you), Singing like a fool at a bar (You do sing sixties songs, right?), trivia, afternoon tea, a movie on deck, seeing more stars than you knew existed, sitting on your balcony watching the ocean go by, watching the flying fish, beautiful sunrises and sunsets, great food (seriously great food!), meeting wonderful people (we still talk with people we met and are going to visit next summer if we have time to go to Vegas), and just a lot of fun things to do, then don't go.

I will end this by admitting that on the second cruise I got bored. Being me that's very easy. I need to be entertained or I'm going nuts. Three consecutive sea days did me in. But now we know that we don't book cruises that can end up with me on the ship more than two days in a row.

Anyway, cruises can be a lot of fun. Some things we saw:

This couple is from our home state! Roatan after the zip line.

Sunrise in Fort Lauderdale. Took a lot of pictures of this jet landing. This is the best one.

Me zip lining. I worked up to flipping upside down and stretching my arms out to the side. This was so much fun!!

The three young men who helped us on the zip line. The antics they pulled when they went across on the line were what got me to try "being fancy". I took it as a challenge.

We do enjoy cruising!

Old 08-05-2011, 08:19 PM

13,899 posts, read 25,355,967 times
Quote:
And there it is.

I see you've returned to your usual M.O. of posting intentionally inflammatory remarks about a subject in order to start an argument. You've done it on numerous boards over a wide variety of subjects. Well, rather than get drawn into a ridiculous discussion with you about the merits of cruising (and the types of people on cruises), I'll merely C&P a portion of a post from a previous thread which includes a short video that demonstrates how ridiculous your above statements are:

One of my favorite cruise lines is Windstar. Their ships are motorized sailboats with only 72 cabins (but with over 100 crew to pamper its passengers). There are no dress codes, no set meal times, and passengers are free to do whatever they prefer, both on board the ship and while in port. Being aboard a Windstar ship is akin to being on a large private yacht. Here is a short video that gives you some idea of what sailing on Windstar is like. (It is a portion of a longer promotional video that also includes info about the ports of call around the world that the ship visits.)

‪Windstar Cruises‬‏ - YouTube
[/quote]

Moorea is one of my favorite places on the planet. Many times I have seen one of the Windstar ships sail into Cook's Bay. They always sail out at sunset. Beautiful.

Cruising is nothing like a nursing home on wheels. It's a great way to travel. You wake up every morning in a new place.

Old 08-05-2011, 08:21 PM

13,899 posts, read 25,355,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
Oddly enough we don't really notice that there are a lot of people except when we first get on and then get off for the end of the trip. Even then they stagger the "exit" so that it's not a madhouse. On the ship itself it's not very evident that you are sharing it with a couple of thousand people.

For dining you don't have to dress up. There are formal nights, yes, but there are plenty of other places to eat where you can walk in with shorts and a tee on. We usually only go to one show while we're cruising. There's enough to do that we don't feel we have the time to go to more than one.

For us the entire reason for cruising (other than decompression from life as we know it) is getting off the ship at the ports of call and doing something fun. Our first cruise found us going on a day sail in the Eastern Caribbean, for snorkeling and lunch. The boat we booked takes a max of six people. Enjoy the day sailing, swimming, snorkeling and relaxing This was one of the best days we've ever had. The weather was perfect and the two young men manning the boat were great. Every time we passed another boat everyone on both yelled "Arrrr, Matey!" as loud as possible. They took us to a beach where there were three people sunning for snorkeling. Cruise ship day sails will dump you with a couple of hundred others.

On our second (last so far) cruise the best day was going on a zip line at Roatan. Second best day (That day sail really was amazing). What a blast!! Lots of beach days on that cruise.

Anyway, cruising is probably not quite what you envision. But, if you can't be entertained by things like wine tasting, English breakfasts, lunch with strangers (You pick a table and someone you've never met joins you), Singing like a fool at a bar (You do sing sixties songs, right?), trivia, afternoon tea, a movie on deck, seeing more stars than you knew existed, sitting on your balcony watching the ocean go by, watching the flying fish, beautiful sunrises and sunsets, great food (seriously great food!), meeting wonderful people (we still talk with people we met and are going to visit next summer if we have time to go to Vegas), and just a lot of fun things to do, then don't go.

I will end this by admitting that on the second cruise I got bored. Being me that's very easy. I need to be entertained or I'm going nuts. Three consecutive sea days did me in. But now we know that we don't book cruises that can end up with me on the ship more than two days in a row.

Anyway, cruises can be a lot of fun. Some things we saw:

This couple is from our home state! Roatan after the zip line.

Sunrise in Fort Lauderdale. Took a lot of pictures of this jet landing. This is the best one.

Me zip lining. I worked up to flipping upside down and stretching my arms out to the side. This was so much fun!!

The three young men who helped us on the zip line. The antics they pulled when they went across on the line were what got me to try "being fancy". I took it as a challenge.

We do enjoy cruising!
I did that zip line too!

Old 08-06-2011, 01:31 AM

156 posts, read 110,844 times
Although I love traveling it has its fair share of angst!

Over the years flying has lost all its attraction with cramped and crowded planes to all the ridiculous rules and practices which have been introduced to apparently protect us from some "enemy". However in the big scheme of things the flights are just a short inconvenience that has to be suffered to experience the real adventure.

The old world and many languages of Europe, the beauty and diversity of South America or the brashness of the US ... I love it. Interesting people, sights, food and wine make every trip truly memorable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or