U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 05:57 AM

1,369 posts, read 1,777,778 times

Advertisements

If you want to travel, get out there and do it now. You never know what will happen, and you never know when it will be too late - don't wait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 08:33 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,710,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I had forgotten about my desire to see Ireland and Scotland.

What do you think about the long flight to Australia? I went to Asia when young and it was unbelievably long . . . I guess you have to have the mindset that you are going to be sitting for a day or whatever . . . and prepare with Ipod, Ipad, etc.
I guess, if I want to get there, I'd have to deal with 18 hours on an airplane. My mom has been back twice and, at her age, said the flight just about did her in. Actually, there IS a break in there as I believe the flight lands in Hawaii but don't recall how long it was between flights.

Old 08-06-2011, 08:38 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,710,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
There is no need to cruise with a couple of thousand other people. There are plenty of small ships from which to choose. In fact, one trip I'm currently researching for next summer is a river cruise on a barge that only has 12 passengers. Here's an example:

‪French barge cruises in France. Barging the canals of France and other european waterways‬‏ - YouTube
I have checked out some of those smaller...and MUCH smaller...cruises and, for me, they are waaay cost prohibitive. There's no way I could ever afford those.

Old 08-06-2011, 11:32 AM

5,432 posts, read 3,467,201 times
The french barge cruise down the canals of France and other european waterways looks HORRID.

just my opinion......

Old 08-06-2011, 12:02 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,786,824 times
To the OP:
Nope, we planned to travel upon retirement and are happily doing so. We're clocking out our fifth year.

The more the better; the US is amazing, Europe is delightful and I highly recommend Russia. If you need to snowbird, try Costa Rica. Tibet/Nepal/Bhutan are booked this year and we might sneak in an Italy trip if we get lucky.
Happy trails .

Old 08-06-2011, 12:39 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,879,617 times
It's good to hear people are having fun!

Old 08-06-2011, 09:46 PM

472 posts, read 647,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C2ShiningC View Post
If you want to travel, get out there and do it now. You never know what will happen, and you never know when it will be too late - don't wait.
I second that motion. Life is full of surprises.

Old 08-07-2011, 11:29 PM

13,350 posts, read 25,617,103 times
I went on a trek to Nepal the year before I hurt my back, and I'd never go on a trek trip again.
I have a baby boomer voice on my shoulder saying I should want to travel, but don't really feel like it. The only thing I'm willing to go to trouble for is to visit the American West and ride horses, which is expensive, and I'm best doing it while working.
I have always felt that, if I want to see Europe, it'll still be there when I'm older, and it will be an easier place to see than landscapes/horses. Then again, I feel pretty sure that if I wanted to go there a lot, I'd have gone by now. Just doesn't seem to draw me, and I have a dear friend in Hamburg and a pretty good friend with a villa near Siena.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:42 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,697 posts, read 40,084,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I have checked out some of those smaller...and MUCH smaller...cruises and, for me, they are waaay cost prohibitive. There's no way I could ever afford those.
Ha, yet another 'benefit' from my EX-employer. FREE / minimal fee barge in France, Chalets in Switzerland, 1600 Acre ranch in Colo (2x), Cape Cod camp / retreat center... We (family) really enjoyed living at the Swiss Chalet while working a winter in France. (back in the good ole days). I did have to chain up a couple times / day, bu tthe kids loved the place (right on the ski slope), sat up above a beautiful stone church that tolled ever 30 minutes night and day.

But, OP... Yes my mind changes (sometimes several times / day). I will be traveling, or die trying. (Bad case of wanderlust). I ONLY like to travel as a local, and NEVER a tourist. I stay in private guest homes (have done so since the 1980's, worldwide). Best $10 / night I ever spend !!! Relationships / travel advice, local faire is incalculably beneficial. I like to stay around and go to work / help the locals with projects. I have been known to disrupt my 'plan' to provide critical help to the aged, farmers, families ... very touching experiences. It seems the least planned, the better (time to smell the roses). Something I never had time to do as a 'worker-bee'.

Next time you are out in SD, (Black Hills) stay @ Main Street Manor Hostel, Lead South Dakota, The proprietor did a one yr, 'round the world by bike' AFTER she retired, very interesting gal, NICE accommodations CHEAP. (very fun co-travelers to educate you)

Quote:
I guess, if I want to get there, I'd have to deal with 18 hours on an airplane.
How nice it would have been to have an iPod 20 yrs ago when traveling to Asia 2x / month (19 hrs each way). It really is not bad, just plan your trip and get some rest so you will not have to do so once you arrive. I got so I could do the flight and get in (to Asia) at 2AM, and be at work at 9am. Left Asia on Friday's at 8AM, and arrived at office in USA by 10AM Friday. Put in another full day, went home about 8 pm and NO jetlag either way. (It wasn't like that the first few times) Eastbound is the KILLER. Thank goodness for flights over the poles, Europe is a breeze.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 08-08-2011 at 01:56 AM..

Old 08-08-2011, 11:32 AM

1,774 posts, read 2,449,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I went on a trek to Nepal the year before I hurt my back, and I'd never go on a trek trip again.
I have a baby boomer voice on my shoulder saying I should want to travel, but don't really feel like it. The only thing I'm willing to go to trouble for is to visit the American West and ride horses, which is expensive, and I'm best doing it while working.
I have always felt that, if I want to see Europe, it'll still be there when I'm older, and it will be an easier place to see than landscapes/horses. Then again, I feel pretty sure that if I wanted to go there a lot, I'd have gone by now. Just doesn't seem to draw me, and I have a dear friend in Hamburg and a pretty good friend with a villa near Siena.
Was it a horse trek? What was the rating on it? Some of them are pretty difficult and we old folks need to stay away from those. If you get hurt, they might as well shoot you and bury you where you fell! Horse treks, at least for me, are the only way to really see things. Then, when they are over, you can spend another week or so wandering about the country taking in the history, etc. Actually, if you check hiddentrails.com, you'll find out that it is actually less expensive to fly to Europe and ride, than ride in the USA: Liability insurance and US lawyers (shoot the varmints!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or