U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2011, 09:50 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,851,419 times

Advertisements

I used to have fantasies of being a world traveler . . . that I would travel near and far . . . I am now rethinking this . . .I don't know what I will end up doing because I can't travel yet and by the time I might be able to, I might be way too old . . .

Plus I realize I am a creature of comfort and a little germ-phobic - not a good travel combo - and I hate bugs and freak out when I see them - so that leaves out tropical areas . . .

And also after much thought I have decided I would not like to be in a ship, under water . . . and I am also not crazy about airplanes - from the whole fear of flying thing to being trapped with dirty people coughing and sneezing and no fresh air for hours (to think they used to let you smoke on the plane! and I was one of the ones that was doing it! Unbelievable) . . .

What is your thinking about traveling?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2011, 10:01 PM

13,886 posts, read 25,311,688 times
Will go anywhere and do anything. I especially love anyplace everyone else thinks of as a third world toilet. Let me at it!

Old 08-04-2011, 10:19 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,851,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
Will go anywhere and do anything. I especially love anyplace everyone else thinks of as a third world toilet. Let me at it!
Wow. That is awesome. I wish I was not so neurotic and opinionated!

Old 08-04-2011, 10:40 PM

4,135 posts, read 9,417,740 times
We drive or take the train. Granted, being by the Canadian border gives us good access to VIA Rail ( very nice) and lots more places. Hate the idiocy of airports and how much time and garbage needed for flying and will only do it if need by by disastrous necessity [did it for a family funeral -- no time to drive].

Traveling the world now? We'd take a cruise but refuse to buy the dinner wardrobe! Our jeans and tees won't pass dress codes!

Old 08-04-2011, 11:40 PM

39,530 posts, read 47,699,472 times
We've been retired for several years now. We travel quite extensively. We've flown 1/2 way around the world to several interesting countries and places of interest. We have been on 9 cruises so far. Dress code is optional as there are several dining options. Formal nights are nice for those that like to dress up, but not required and there are only one or two of them. If you don't want to dress up there are other eating areas you can dine at. And at the 24 hour buffet any type of dress is appropriate including shorts.
If you have the time and the money any type of traveling is fun as you see so many different people, lifestyles and cultures. You can go at your pace and control your destiny.
Life is too short, enjoy it to the max.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:40 AM

3,751 posts, read 9,600,559 times
We decided not to wait until retirement. We go anywhere that is not Americanized. India was our favorite and bathrooms are an interesting issue. Once, behind a bush was the safest and cleanest.

In China, we rated all bathrooms. We sent a "scout" and they reported using a 5 star scale. The Xian Warrior Museum got a 5 star Diamond restroom rating. 100% electronic. Woohoo.

I am far more interested in the food and culture. You just have to follow basic rules and all should be fine.

However, travel is physically difficult in some ways. Airline travel is not what it used to be (but our flights to Thailand were pretty fantastic) and jet lag takes us longer to recover from. But now I dont suffer from motion sickness during all flights. So it all balances out.

If you are more worried about the germs than interested in learning about another country, there is a whole lot to see and do in North America. Try Alaska and Hawaii.

Cruises are fun. We went on them to get my corporate husband away from the computer and the car. Very restful. Love meeting so many other people. There are even theme cruises for quilters, knitters, music lovers, etc. All kinds of cruises for all kinds of people and all budgets.

Old 08-05-2011, 04:57 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,471,910 times
Compliments of Uncle Sam I've lived in mainland China (pre-communist revolution), Japan and Korea. It would be nice to see the other half of the world (Europe) but not likely in retirement. I've also lived in nine states and been through and to many more, plus a bit of Canada and Mexico. My wife has not traveled as extensively as I have so our retirement goals have been to first see the entirety of our new state and than to see and spend time in as much of our own country as means allow. "See America First" has somewhat been our mantra.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:51 AM

5,822 posts, read 13,312,141 times
We have lived in quite a few places around the world being in the military for 20+ years, traveled in Europe and a few asian countries. In retirement we are content to spend time in HI every year and travel in our RV across the good old USA. We have already been in the majority of states.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:08 AM

1,409 posts, read 2,354,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I used to have fantasies of being a world traveler . . . that I would travel near and far . . . I am now rethinking this . . .I don't know what I will end up doing because I can't travel yet and by the time I might be able to, I might be way too old . . .

Plus I realize I am a creature of comfort and a little germ-phobic - not a good travel combo - and I hate bugs and freak out when I see them - so that leaves out tropical areas . . .

And also after much thought I have decided I would not like to be in a ship, under water . . . and I am also not crazy about airplanes - from the whole fear of flying thing to being trapped with dirty people coughing and sneezing and no fresh air for hours (to think they used to let you smoke on the plane! and I was one of the ones that was doing it! Unbelievable) . . .

With all your phobias I would concentrate on travelling within North America--places you can drive, take a train or perhaps shorter flights. There are amazing places here to see.

I love to travel, and my husband and I decided not to wait until we were retired, but to do as much as possible while we were working with 2 good incomes, within the constraints of vacation time. Sometimes we managed to get one airfare paid for by our work, attending conferences and such.

We've managed Tahiti several times, Brazil, U.K and diverse parts of Europe several times each, and cruises to the Caribbean. As well as trips to California, Maine, Boston, New York, Virginia, Florida, etc.

Now we're retired, income is fine, but lower. So we'll stick to one major trip a year for a few years, until we either don't have the money or feel that we're past travelling. One of the good things about cruises is that you can do that for a long time--I've met plenty of people well up into their 80's on cruise ships.

We're doing an Alaskan cruise next spring, which will be our splurge for the year--we'll spend time around Vancouver/Seattle during that trip. But all those North American spots await us as well. I haven't seen the South West yet (Arizona, Utah, New Mexico). And we want to see Newfoundland as well.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:09 AM

8,191 posts, read 11,905,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
The exact opposite of yours.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or