U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-10-2011, 03:12 PM
 
Location: Arizona
419 posts, read 659,248 times
Reputation: 862

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
For those who prepay for a funeral/cremation, how do you know you are going to still be in the same location when that time comes? I've thought about it but what I prepay but then I'm not living in this state at the time I die?
Many mortuaries are members of the Dignity Memorial network. There are more than 1600 funeral, creamation & cemetery service providers in North America. If you prepay for services at a Dignity Memorial network provider and happen to move out of the area then all prepaid services are transferred to another mortuary as long as they are a member of the Dignity Memorial network.

Haven't checked it out but that is what a large mortuary in my area states on their website. Google Dignity Memorial network for more info. They may have a list of member providers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-10-2011, 08:58 PM
 
250 posts, read 649,813 times
Reputation: 199
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
Many mortuaries are members of the Dignity Memorial network. There are more than 1600 funeral, creamation & cemetery service providers in North America. If you prepay for services at a Dignity Memorial network provider and happen to move out of the area then all prepaid services are transferred to another mortuary as long as they are a member of the Dignity Memorial network.

Haven't checked it out but that is what a large mortuary in my area states on their website. Google Dignity Memorial network for more info. They may have a list of member providers.

Thank you kindly ... I shall look into this as it makes a difference in considering prepayment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-10-2011, 09:39 PM
 
Location: Tennessee
34,724 posts, read 33,765,085 times
Reputation: 51995
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBaker View Post
Many mortuaries are members of the Dignity Memorial network. There are more than 1600 funeral, creamation & cemetery service providers in North America. If you prepay for services at a Dignity Memorial network provider and happen to move out of the area then all prepaid services are transferred to another mortuary as long as they are a member of the Dignity Memorial network.

Haven't checked it out but that is what a large mortuary in my area states on their website. Google Dignity Memorial network for more info. They may have a list of member providers.
Thank you. I learned something new today.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 02:21 PM
 
Location: Lexington, SC
4,281 posts, read 10,762,283 times
Reputation: 3717
While I have not read all the replies, basically the whatevers (Funeral Homes, Mortuaries,etc.) are taking your money and are "purchasing" an "insurance" policy/plan that says the money they give the insurance company (after keeping some for themselves) will "come back to them" to pay for your "whatever" it is you pre-paid for. It is a simple business issue.

Now here is the catch. Some places took the money and never bought the policy. Then went out of business and/or got bought out and no one knew anything.

I once went to a Funeral Directors Convention (whole other story.....LOL). Some of the largest displayers and givers away of stuff were the "pre-paid plan insurance companies". I still have tons of pens, note pads, calculators, mugs, letter openers, etc. that they were giving away.

An aside but a fact (well hidden by most) I learned at the convention. In many states once a legal death certificate is given, you can pretty well do what you want with that body.

In some states, put it in a big garbage bag, prop it up in your front seat. Drive it home, dig a hole in your backyard and deposit such.

That business is filled with half truths, hidden facts, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-12-2011, 04:56 PM
 
Location: Arizona
419 posts, read 659,248 times
Reputation: 862
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
While I have not read all the replies, basically the whatevers (Funeral Homes, Mortuaries,etc.) are taking your money and are "purchasing" an "insurance" policy/plan that says the money they give the insurance company (after keeping some for themselves) will "come back to them" to pay for your "whatever" it is you pre-paid for. It is a simple business issue.

Now here is the catch. Some places took the money and never bought the policy. Then went out of business and/or got bought out and no one knew anything.

I once went to a Funeral Directors Convention (whole other story.....LOL). Some of the largest displayers and givers away of stuff were the "pre-paid plan insurance companies". I still have tons of pens, note pads, calculators, mugs, letter openers, etc. that they were giving away.

An aside but a fact (well hidden by most) I learned at the convention. In many states once a legal death certificate is given, you can pretty well do what you want with that body.

In some states, put it in a big garbage bag, prop it up in your front seat. Drive it home, dig a hole in your backyard and deposit such.

That business is filled with half truths, hidden facts, etc.
As in any major purchase you must do your research in assuring yourself that the funeral home/mortuary you are dealing with is a reputable establishment.

My dad purchased pre-paid burial sevices from a local mortuary back in the late 80's or early 90's. He was provided a copy of the insurance policys stating the amount they received to be invested.

My mom passed away in 2000 and dad in 2003. The services received actually exceeded our expectations due to having a very kind & attentive funeral director. No extra outlay of monies for services/fees that were prepaid in the original contract. We did have to pay for urns and a modest fee to rent a room for their memorial services. That is because dad did not purchase those items in the original contract.

It certainly was comforting to know that all arrangements were in place prior to their deaths. I have always been very grateful to my dad for taking care of these final arrangements so that I was not faced with that task during very emotional times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2011, 04:33 PM
 
9,703 posts, read 15,912,317 times
Reputation: 16104
Just don't tell anyone its a person, bury it in the backyard along with the cats! who give a flip, anyways?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2011, 04:40 PM
 
9,703 posts, read 15,912,317 times
Reputation: 16104
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morwyn_7 View Post
Thank you kindly ... I shall look into this as it makes a difference in considering prepayment.

also, isn't there something called the golden rule, or something like that? its an association of funeral directors, a guild of sorts, strives for high standards.

When my mother died, someone recommended such a service, I was more than pleased. I simply told them I would pay $5000, no more. The grave plot was already purchased. they asked a few simple questions, and put together a very nice package, for, exactly $5000. WTh did I care, it was her life insurance policy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-13-2011, 05:23 PM
 
Location: Lexington, SC
4,281 posts, read 10,762,283 times
Reputation: 3717
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
Just don't tell anyone its a person, bury it in the backyard along with the cats! who give a flip, anyways?

I said this to simply emphasize that the funeral/undertaker/whatever business is one to keep a leery eye on. It is full of half truths, hidden facts, and things people think are "rules/regulations/laws" that are not so.

Personally, my wife and I have made arrangements to donate our bodies to medical universities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-16-2011, 11:13 PM
 
Location: zippidy doo dah
895 posts, read 1,335,679 times
Reputation: 1928
my father died this past autumn - still can't totally believe that, even though he wasn't young. he was just very much alive and my mom is a bit of a lost goose without her gander. on the funeral side of things, my parents felt they had plans all done but i am amazed at the lack of planning in many respects. while the funeral home was "low key", i felt there was a lot of "respectful" selling going on - i had to be the cold-hearted realist in the room constantly asking, "is that included or is that extra?" - what bothered me is that my father did want cremation and i'm sure a lot of that was the practicality issue - but the expenses one incurs just from the moment a person dies already jack the price up. At least in Virginia, the minute the person is reported as deceased and in our case, hospice has come to the house, the chain of events is set in place. The funeral people come for the body - regardless of what you do, you have spent money from the moment someone lays a hand on your family member. We had already incurred numerous bills for transporting to the funeral home (which was within a few miles of the home); for a special "whatever" to put the body in before cremation takes place. (required by virginia state law - surely not the fault of the funeral home though i would bet that is who lobbied to get such a law put into effect) . It seems awful that a person could end up spending money that they had no idea they were spending because it seems it is required and that the nice funeral people are just being your friend. I forget what we had spent just in those first few actions but it seemed outrageous for how careful my parents always were. In those first few days, money got tossed around like water. More would have been spent if someone had not second-guessed some of the comings and goings. It is less the money than the sense of awkwardness at asking at such a time "how much is this costing?" - again, frightening to think how people could be taken advantage of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-17-2011, 01:00 AM
 
Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,707 posts, read 40,113,239 times
Reputation: 23866
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
....the minute the person is reported as deceased and in our case, ...you have spent money from the moment someone lays a hand on your family member. .... In those first few days, money got tossed around like water. More would have been spent if someone had not second-guessed some of the comings and goings. ... frightening to think how people could be taken advantage of.
So very true (and SO sad). Thx for sharing your recent experience, THx for ASKING questions, I find funeral directors (and Attorneys) are NOT used to being asked the 'details'. There are a lot of opportunists in these businesses.

Get your acts together and KNOW the costs and different options.
I hate to beat my Co-op Drum, BUT>>>> there are many funeral co-ops that you can buy into VERY CHEAP ($25), they have plans that are honored / recognized by member funeral co-ops in different regions (if you move).

There are many other options including natural burials which numbers are growing very fast.

Be advised, be wise. (be prepared)

FYI,
People's Memorial Funeral Cooperative

costs of MANY options (remember this is Seattle, a VERY expensive place to die)
People's Memorial Association - Seattle, Washington (http://www.peoplesmemorial.org/plans.cfm - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top