U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2011, 12:35 PM

4,486 posts, read 15,296,093 times

Advertisements

Are there any Snowbirds on this forum? If so where are you from and where do you go? How long have you been snowbirds?

I've been slowly working on a project about snowbirds that I'm developing in my spare time for a local realtor friend I know who sells primarily to the 55+ crowd.

What kind of income does it take to be a snowbird? Obviously this varies wildly but what's a good baseline income for two residences in retirement?

Can PM me if you want.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2011, 05:36 PM

8,089 posts, read 4,429,397 times
Bump. Because I'm interested in trying this, and would consider the answers "research."
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedyAZ View Post
Are there any Snowbirds on this forum? If so where are you from and where do you go? How long have you been snowbirds?

I've been slowly working on a project about snowbirds that I'm developing in my spare time for a local realtor friend I know who sells primarily to the 55+ crowd.

What kind of income does it take to be a snowbird? Obviously this varies wildly but what's a good baseline income for two residences in retirement?

Can PM me if you want.

Thanks

Old 08-06-2011, 08:13 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,785,551 times
We snowbird in Costa Rica (5 years), but rent rather than own. Its much more flexible and far less costly, both financially and in hassle factors. I've no idea about the costs of two residences, wouldn't do it.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:40 AM

19,848 posts, read 19,948,859 times
Weve been going from NYS to Fl for 7 years... owners in New York, 5 as renters in Fl,last 2 as owners.
How much it costs any one person to do so is a pretty much useless question since it depends on where one lives, how one lives.
$800,000 mortgage or $60,000 mortgage or no mortgage?
Same with rent.Both $1000 or less a month and $3000 or more a week are 'normal'

Old 08-07-2011, 08:53 AM

7,342 posts, read 16,664,195 times
We aren't "Snowbirds", but at times sure wish we could afford to be!

However, we do know two "Snowbird" couples. A girlfriend of my wife and my brother. The girlfriend and her husband actually have three homes: a cottage at a small lake in Mich., a house in a suburb of Detroit and two small-single level "connected" homes by Daytona Beach. He got a nice inheritance from his parents, made a very nice income (during employment) and is now retired making a nice retirement income. He also now collects full SS and has a small income from oil "rights" below one property they own. Can they actually "afford" all three of these properties, seems like it, but?

My brother has property in both Florida and PA. As my wife's girlfriends husband, my brother made a darn good salary working for the State of PA and now is getting a nice retirement from them along with full SS. They spend the winters months here in FL and the summers in PA.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:08 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,765,919 times
I know a retired couple who live in Buffalo, New York. Some years ago they bought an RV and lived in it in Florida for about six months of the year, driving it down in October and back in May. Once they found an RV park which suited their needs in Florida, they had to pay for that space 12 months a year in order to be sure of getting in that park each year, which illustrates the popularity of what they are doing. Finally they bought a house in Florida, which will sit empty for half of the year. Given the current real estate market, they probably got it for a song. Not hard to guess why they still live in Buffalo half time: grandchildren there plus the heat and humidity of the Florida summers.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:34 PM

5,825 posts, read 13,333,801 times
Not sure if we are considered snowbirds per se, but we spend approximately two months of the year in our RV in the FL Keys, two months in Hawaii each year, where we rent a condo. We travel in summer a few short trips in the RV. We own our home in upstate NY where we spend spring, part of summer and fall. We are completely debt free and income wise I would estimate we need $120K.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:09 AM

167 posts, read 419,744 times
Barefoot Bay FL has reasonable winter rentals. Several realtors handle rentals. Barefoot Bay is located between Melbourne and Vero Beach. It is almost but not quite a 55+ community.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:22 AM

20,517 posts, read 26,405,885 times
Technically hubby and I are snowbirds but the time varies. We sold our house in FL in 2005. We bought an RV and traveled the country for 3 1/2 years, spending our winters in FL in RV parks....which are now getting more and more vacant as the years progress.

Then we bought land in TN for the summers. Then 2 houses in FL to remodel and have something to do in the winter. We sold one and we will stay in the other for a few months in the winter. In the future I would rather rent a place because I get bored with one place too quickly.

Now we spend most of our time in TN....and in 2012 we will stay here through "end of the world" I don't want to be away from home if the lunacy prevails.

We have rented condo's, stayed at RV parks, and owned homes for the winter. It just depends what is going on in our life at the time. The RV park was about $600.00 per month plus electric. The condo was $850.00 per month. The house...well lets just say the taxes are more than any rental.

The goal is to spend 4/4/4. Four months in each place..TN, Hawaii, and FL.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:47 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,084,718 times
Snowbirds from AK. We typically spend anywhere from 2 to 5 months outside in the winter in our travel trailer, mostly in the SW USA and southern CA because the weather in the SE USA has been not as favorable. We've gone out for the past three winters.

We considered two residences but decided that the upkeep and taxes would reduce our travel budget and would tie us down to a predetermined location so we have opted out of dual home ownership in two areas (although we have two locally right now) and will rent, travel outside the USA or use the RV in the winter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement