U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2011, 11:59 AM

8,093 posts, read 13,227,512 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by susanra View Post
Any suggestions for inexpensive beach towns in which to live , if they exist? Or relatively inexpensive with reasonable apartment rents?
On the West Coast ... about 15 to 30 miles below the southern border of California
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2011, 12:33 PM

12,671 posts, read 21,052,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bamba_boy View Post
Galveston Texas actually IS a cheap beach town. It's got some downsides (distal Mississippi mud makes the water sort of brown) and some run down sections but it's got the largest Victorian home collection from the late 19th century in the country. Real nice in winter when all the tourists and Houston daytrippers stay away. Great warm water for swimming in the summer - like a warm bath-tub!
What about Seabrook?

Old 08-07-2011, 01:59 PM

4,479 posts, read 4,739,984 times
I've been looking in Delaware and there seems a fair amount of towns within a short drive to beaches.

Are you looking for a walking type beach or just water. Northern coast of Maine is not walking beach, well, maybe a little one here and there but mainly rocky coast. Southern coast of Maine would offer more the walking beaches and even midcoast has some.

I have a friend who retired to Kure Beach and she really likes it. It seemed reasonable.

Old 08-07-2011, 02:26 PM

5,090 posts, read 13,543,532 times
There are many inexpensive Beach Towns along THE GREAT LAKES. Pick any State and you find beautiful, pastoral towns that right on the Lakes on nearby. The Great Lakes are big enough to have waves and tides like the Oceans--but you have the advantage of fresh water and NO Sharks.

These towns have many rental cottages and resorts. I grew near the Great Lakes in the vicinity of Buffalo, NY. I can remember staying at cottages along the lakes; campfires on the beach; seasonal hot dog, hamburger stands, amusement parks; boats and docks; music halls with outdoor patio; keg beer parties; necking on the beach; boating and water skiing; wide sand beaches; good temperature water.

Some of the well known towns and the island resorts are more expensive, but not that expensive, in the summer. However, there are so many towns and beaches that are not as well known with clean beaches that are very inexpensive.

Livecontent

Old 08-07-2011, 04:28 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,969,510 times
I've done some visualizing of living full time in a beach town. Having grown up with several weeks every summer at Cape Cod, and as an adult on the beaches of Southern Maine, I found it lovely to be there May through October. Also nice in the winter to walk along the New England beaches--Cranes Beach, Plum Island, etc. if you wear a down jacket and wrap around scarf. Bring the dog, dogs love it.

I've also experienced firsthand the terrible traffic that happens in tourist season, and the crowded public beaches where you can't find a place to plop down. If you want privacy and some room, you'd have to find a private beach that you can somehow have access to. Also in these beach towns in NE the price of gas and groceries is way high in tourist season.

So although I love the beach (off-season), if I ever wanted to move closer I would move 20 min. to 1/2 hour inland, and go to the beach in the summers on weekdays. In fall winter and spring, weekends are not crowded. Plus, homes/rents are generally less expensive a little inland.

If money is no object, head for Cape Elizabeth, Maine, or Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket (Mass.).

Old 08-07-2011, 04:50 PM

250 posts, read 648,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by susanra View Post
Any suggestions for inexpensive beach towns in which to live , if they exist? Or relatively inexpensive with reasonable apartment rents?
For some of the reasons you state I have from time to time considered Eureka on the North West coast of California.

Old 08-07-2011, 09:58 PM

5,165 posts, read 8,689,130 times
Smile Florida

Delray Beach

Lauderdale by the Sea

Old 08-07-2011, 11:15 PM

13,315 posts, read 25,550,246 times
There are towns in Maine that are on the ocean, but I wouldn't call them "beach towns," as one poster pointed out, they are usually rocky areas. Also, the water is cold cold cold.

Old 08-08-2011, 05:08 AM

895 posts, read 1,330,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I've done some visualizing of living full time in a beach town. Having grown up with several weeks every summer at Cape Cod, and as an adult on the beaches of Southern Maine, I found it lovely to be there May through October. Also nice in the winter to walk along the New England beaches--Cranes Beach, Plum Island, etc. if you wear a down jacket and wrap around scarf. Bring the dog, dogs love it.

I've also experienced firsthand the terrible traffic that happens in tourist season, and the crowded public beaches where you can't find a place to plop down. If you want privacy and some room, you'd have to find a private beach that you can somehow have access to. Also in these beach towns in NE the price of gas and groceries is way high in tourist season.

So although I love the beach (off-season), if I ever wanted to move closer I would move 20 min. to 1/2 hour inland, and go to the beach in the summers on weekdays. In fall winter and spring, weekends are not crowded. Plus, homes/rents are generally less expensive a little inland.

If money is no object, head for Cape Elizabeth, Maine, or Martha's Vineyard or Nantucket (Mass.).
That's what is somewhat odd about this place but maybe I just don't venture out all that much. The traffic is not deplorable and this is high season. There is traffic but again, not ridiculous - you can use the bypass road to get to where I am and so summer hasn't really dictated any additional issues. Even if I drive thru the main drag, it's not awful. Beaches are not insanely crowded and for the most part, people are very friendly and considerate. Lots of street parking available.

There are public beach entries all along Kure Beach as well as ft fisher just down the road about a mile. Ft Fisher allows dogs all year round/the other beaches restrict doggie access for about 4/5 months of the year (maybe late april thru sept/didn't count how many months that is....ah ha - five!) -

Several places I checked in April allowed 6 month leases if one preferred. Some did have the "rent in off season and then either pay more in the high season or leave" but surprisingly, many didn't require that. I could have rented one house that was very nice, overlooked the harbor, for 800 a month and limited myself to a 6 month lease which would have given me the high season vacation time. And I could then reup for 6 more at the same price if I so desired. As I said, here, with ocean views and a block off the water, I'm at 850 and that includes some utilities.

Like I said, Kure/Carolina Beach seem to have some deals if you look around. Both buying and renting. The fact that it has the blend of commercial and residential plus lots of activities (free) in the summer months and activity during the rest of the year as well makes it a consideration of some sort to me. If and that is the big IF I decide I have to have a permanent place at the beach. (Oh, property tax for here - new hanover county 47 cents/Kure Beach township 16.25 cents. You pay the one if you are just in the county, not in the city or town. If you're in the town or city, you pay the county and town tax. I need to double check that but I was rather amazed at that, having paid 1.33 in Richmond, 1.67 as I recall in Sarasota. )

PS - a neat thing about all the public accesses is how many properties off the water can still see/hear the water!

Last edited by mzfroggez; 08-08-2011 at 05:13 AM.. Reason: illiterate communication skills of the morning.....and they continue....

Old 08-08-2011, 06:07 AM

15,067 posts, read 18,997,066 times
Mzfroggez, that Is an area I have been looking at for retirement. How humid does it get in the summer - and how cold in the winter? Hurricane risk? (I'm more concerned with the price of insurance than the actual event)

Are there other towns nearby that have a bit more activity - restaurants, bars, movie theatres, etc?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or