U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2011, 03:20 PM

29,801 posts, read 34,894,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johanna25 View Post
There is a proposal to bring bus service to the New Hanover beaches per a recent article in the Star News, WAVE's plan would bring buses to the beach | StarNewsOnline.com It has some hurdles to get through, though. I had been going to suggest Topsail Island beaches to you for inexpensive beach property, but there's not a lot of year-round rentals here, and it's less accessible than the Wilmington area beaches.
I know this sounds selfish and it is. But I pay additional for a Carolina Beach parking permit. So why should I pay for my parking permit along with $7 more to provide bus service to someone else? The logistics of riding to the beach and than drying off to ride a bus back along with appropriate dress and changing facillities and rest rooms could be a burden on the town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2011, 05:47 PM

Has anyone who uses the beaches really thought out this bus to the beach idea? I mean lugging chairs, coolers and umbrella's on the bus could be problematic. Has anyone considered where the bus stops at the beach would be and where folks would line up to wait and not pass out in 95 degree heat or takeover a local store.

Old 08-09-2011, 06:47 PM

4,490 posts, read 4,751,034 times
Personally, I don't think I would be using a bus to go to the beach. But I'm sure there are those that do.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:22 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,994,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
I know this sounds selfish and it is. But I pay additional for a Carolina Beach parking permit. So why should I pay for my parking permit along with $7 more to provide bus service to someone else? The logistics of riding to the beach and than drying off to ride a bus back along with appropriate dress and changing facillities and rest rooms could be a burden on the town.
Perhaps you are assuming that most of America will always be able to afford to drive cars, that there is an endless supply of fuel for personal cars, and that there is nothing to be gained environmentally by lessening the road traffic in summer to popular places like beaches....and/or that only people of means and/or driving ability deserve to enjoy the beach. To pay $7 more to ensure access, or to alleviate the burden on our environment, sounds like a tiny amount to pay for a very large investment.

Old 08-09-2011, 09:29 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,994,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
Has anyone who uses the beaches really thought out this bus to the beach idea? I mean lugging chairs, coolers and umbrella's on the bus could be problematic. Has anyone considered where the bus stops at the beach would be and where folks would line up to wait and not pass out in 95 degree heat or takeover a local store.
When I was a city-bound college student in Boston with no car of my own, I would take the bus along with others out of the sweltering city heat north to Mass. shores and into southern Maine by bus. In fact, my honeymoon (married in college) was in Camden, Maine by bus. No we were not 'white trash'....and no we did not lug all the paraphernalia you suggest, above. There are lots of educated, savvy folks who know how to travel, with backpacks and sitting on the beach on a good old towel. (That's not to say some would not carry on a small cooler.) Public transportation is embedded in other cultures as in Europe, etc, while ours assumes "everybody for themselves."

On topic, inexpensive beach towns can be found. I learned that pricey places to buy sometimes have lower property taxes because of the high tourist volume. This can be seen in DE, NC, SC, and several spots in ME.

Old 08-09-2011, 10:55 PM

5,431 posts, read 3,458,283 times
I was not referring to future potential buses going to the beaches right outside of Wilmington as rides to use just the beach -

I was refering to having the Wilmington bus sytem extended to residential areas near Kure Beach and Carolina Beach and other beaches directing outside of Wilmington which are not now served by the bus system - so that people could live in the rental apartments or rental houses near the beaches without having to own a car.

As far as carrying things to the beaches when traveling by bus, people travel light when doing this. Millions of people in New York City and boroughs travel by subway and bus to beaches right outside of New York City all the time without problems and enjoy the beaches immensely. And a small cooler and low beach chair with tiny legs are certainly easy to take on bus or subway.

People all over the U.S. go to beaches by bus. San Diego and Santa Monica as two examples, in addition to NYC.

Old 08-09-2011, 11:17 PM

5,431 posts, read 3,458,283 times
Actually, the beaches right outside of New York City to which I referred are technically 'inside' New York City boundaries such as Coney Island beach, Rockaway Beach, and Brighton Beach - all within the boundaries of New York City, and all are very accessible by bus and some by subway - and people take the bus/subway to the beaches all the time -

and they take buses and subway to the residential areas right next to Coney Island beach, Rockaway Beach, and Brighton beach.

Old 08-10-2011, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
When I was a city-bound college student in Boston with no car of my own, I would take the bus along with others out of the sweltering city heat north to Mass. shores and into southern Maine by bus. In fact, my honeymoon (married in college) was in Camden, Maine by bus. No we were not 'white trash'....and no we did not lug all the paraphernalia you suggest, above. There are lots of educated, savvy folks who know how to travel, with backpacks and sitting on the beach on a good old towel. (That's not to say some would not carry on a small cooler.) Public transportation is embedded in other cultures as in Europe, etc, while ours assumes "everybody for themselves."

On topic, inexpensive beach towns can be found. I learned that pricey places to buy sometimes have lower property taxes because of the high tourist volume. This can be seen in DE, NC, SC, and several spots in ME.
I don't disagree with you one iota and will confirm exactly what you are saying. However in the case of the mentioned beaches there are a lot of people who don't know how to travel with a back pack and a towel. It is easy to tell the college students in the spring and fall as they arrive as you mention. Also you have the folks who are staying at a place on the beach etc I see them every weekend/weekday. There is a big difference between the weekday and weekend crowds. They also drive very big pickup trucks which are not economic. This idea would work more at Fort Fisher and not at Kure or Carolina. With our current heat and humidity few are on the beach without their umbrella blowing around.

Old 08-10-2011, 01:08 PM

Inexpensive also means taxes and other revenue generating charges. How does the town fund operations and is parking revenue key to it? Somebody has to pay if charging $1.25 hour to park is what keeps the town going then keep on charging and make it difficult to use services without renting, owning or parking. Now some towns don't count on parking revenue.

Old 01-10-2015, 09:29 AM

5 posts, read 4,125 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
I rented a place for the year in Kure Beach NC while I divest myself of baggage, tangible and intangible - I'm not sure what is considered inexpensive because I have lived in too many areas that are outrageous and so my sense of reality is skewed. However, I think it rather amazing that I can rent a place where I can see and hear the ocean, walk across the street and be on the water, have a fenced in yard 2 br and a bath, full screened in porch, all for 850.00 a month, which includes water/sewer/trash. Electric has averaged 110.00 per month for the previous resident and thus far, I am below that. There were a number of places that rented in that area and for less. Houses can be had for less than 200 (pretty rustic, which ps describes my abode as well) - a nice house can be had for 275-300 plus /and of course there are the much higher ones. All in all, for beach property, it's "reasonable".

On the combined islands of kure/carolina beach, you have a library, grocery store, post office, all the basics one would need. You can cross over off the island and be at lots of stores, services in 5/10 miles. If you wish to be in the city, Wilmington downtown is 30 minutes away.

For beach living, this area seems to combine lower price and lots of action. The towns provide dog parks and lots of events, particularly in the summer. Not overly crowded and definitely quiet when the season ends.

I don't know Top Sail and the other beaches real well around here - have been to Sunset, Ocean Isles etc - few have the commercial/businesses that Carolina Beach provides so as I said, you can actually live on the Island and have most all you need (if Food Lion is sufficient...........harris teeter is supposedly coming soon).
Hey! I'm just wondering if you're still there. Looking to do the same. Would love any info. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or