Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 03:43 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,196,672 times

Advertisements

Yes I am well aware of usage charts and neighbors, our water bill has been doing that for years.....

What my neighbors electricity usage is is of no concern of mine or my lifestyle, they use less?

Give them the tree hugger of the neighborhood award

I live OK on my retirement income and am not concerned about my usage vs my neighbors usage, that's just dumb IMO.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2011, 04:10 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plwhit View Post
I don't have a smart meter and if I did and it gave me usage charts it still wouldn't change my daily usage one iota......

My usage is higher than my neighbors?

So now in America the mantra is no longer keep up with the Joneses but degrade to the Jonses???
^^^

It would do me little to compare with my neighbors--they are a household with three preteens, central air that's always on, a huge backyard pool, the whole nine yards. I am a conservationist who elects not to use a clothes dryer and very little use of appliances. My neighbors are hardly an inspiration.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post

The chart is set up like this:
Efficient Neighbor .....
Average Neighbor .....
You ....

You used a total of 267.8 kWh of electricity this week. Your usage was 24% less than your neighborhood average.
Kind of like watching the stock market up and down. I say just live as conservatively as possible unless you want to drive yourself nuts. There is simply no way to compare neighbors' usage of anything, it depends on at least a dozen factors. For example if you lived next door to me you'd be tearing your hair out with that comparison.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:19 PM

15,632 posts, read 24,429,067 times
newenglandgirl, in your case your comparison chart wouldnt be with those neighbors. The chart tells you that the comparison is with houses the same size as yours and with the same amenities, or lack of -- such as pools. So your comparison would be with neighbors who have no pool and you could see how much less energy you use with your clothesline vs their electric dryers.

Maybe some dont see the value in these charts but I do. If I'm aware that my neighbors, who live in the same kind of house that I do, are using less electricity than I am, I'm encouraged to use less energy too. But, to do that, I have to be aware that such a disparity exists. THAT'S the value of the comparison chart.

Last edited by TFW46; 08-08-2011 at 04:29 PM..

Old 08-08-2011, 05:20 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,694,717 times
texasfirewheel,

It doesn't matter how many times you explain it some people are simply not going to understand. I know exactly what you are doing and why, and it's a good system.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:01 PM

8,560 posts, read 11,213,816 times
I've had a Smart Meter for about/almost two years now. I download my usage regularly and have created a spreadsheet to track usage daily and in 15 minute increments. I can tell from the spreadsheet when I get up in the morning and go to bed. I can tell when I have turned on the TV and when I run my dryer. In my neighborhood (built in the 50's) there's too many variables to draw any comparisons.

The biggest one time benefit of the Smart Meter was during the 2011 freeze and Texas had rolling blackouts. I woke up that morning at the end of the second blackout, my computer rebooting and printer making noise. It took a while to understand what was going on and then the third blackout came on. With cell phone I contacted TXU to inquire, used the IVRU and chose RESIDENTIAL, and received the announcement about the blackouts.

Bearing in mind, these blackouts were of 15 minute duration, my call to TXU as soon as that 3rd blackout started. Within two minutes my electricity was back on and remained on the rest of the day while my neighbors did not. Also, TimeWarner cable was off until 3 p.m. same day.

That TXU was able to remotely power my electricity back on was due entirely to the Smart Meter.

Old 08-08-2011, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
newenglandgirl, in your case your comparison chart wouldnt be with those neighbors. The chart tells you that the comparison is with houses the same size as yours and with the same amenities, or lack of -- such as pools. So your comparison would be with neighbors who have no pool and you could see how much less energy you use with your clothesline vs their electric dryers.

Maybe some dont see the value in these charts but I do. If I'm aware that my neighbors, who live in the same kind of house that I do, are using less electricity than I am, I'm encouraged to use less energy too. But, to do that, I have to be aware that such a disparity exists. THAT'S the value of the comparison chart.
I understand what you're saying, but in my case I'm already down to such basic usage I couldn't use any less unless I lived in an unheated tipi with a volcano stove. (Not such a bad thought.) I would be wasting my time to compare.

Now, on another note, how would this "central intelligence" compile info on who has pools, freezers, computers, lights for weed growing and any other specific info such as number of household members and their usage habits? (You get the implications.)

Old 08-08-2011, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
texasfirewheel,

It doesn't matter how many times you explain it some people are simply not going to understand. I know exactly what you are doing and why, and it's a good system.
Tek, I understand. I just don't get it.

Old 08-10-2011, 10:19 AM

1,266 posts, read 3,223,292 times
Addressing privacy and security concerns, from the British point of view:

BBC News - Smart meters: Privacy warning over personal data

Excerpt:

However, various security concerns have been raised regarding the technology. This includes the amount of personal data held on the devices.
It also means that it could make clear the exact times householders tend to leave their home, or when they sleep, by looking at their energy usage.

...there should be no requirement for a screen on each smart meter that displays how much energy has been used. He said many people would access this information on their mobiles.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:23 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,279,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Tek, I understand. I just don't get it.

The Dark Side of 'Smart' Meters - YouTube ....maybe this will help
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement