U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 04:51 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,994,426 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
On my part - I have been assuming the "new normal" even before Bill Gross put a name on it.
Robyn
I posted this somewhere in the past few days, from Forbes:

"Global bond markets look prepared for it. Gross says they're priced for a "near depression." Treasury yields at less than 3% are "surely a forerunner of returns to come." He believes stock investors should prepare for similar returns. Not what you'd call a ringing sales pitch for Pimco's new line of equity funds..."

Is he saying stock investors should prepare for returns similar to those on Treasuries??

(thanks for your post)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 05:12 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,947,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
me too i love bill gross . that call that he made about dumping his treasuries was a huge loser for his fund but a huge winner for me. my long term treasuries have soared since he called the bond market wrong and for

that i thank him as many investors followed his lead and dumped treasuries . they all came running back as treasuries soared in a flight to quality once again driving up prices nicely for those of us who continued to hold ours.

im surprised at ole bill. doesnt he know things never ever play out the obvious. it was so obvious when bill sold that rates on bonds were a given to rise with the end of qe2 and the debt ceiling.
we all saw the same thing. thats why i said over and over in these forums things most likely wont play out the way we all see it. things not on the radar yet will alter the out come beyond all our beliefs..

well here were just above 2% on the 10 year, it was 3.87 when bill dumped them.[/quote}

Judging from this comment - you know zero - absolutely zero - about Bill Gross and PIMCO. PIMCO doesn't have a fund. It has many funds. And many non-fund assets under management. And he and his managers didn't sell treasuries and put the proceeds in cash. They invested in other fixed income assets (which may have done better or worse than treasuries - haven't tracked the results either in US dollar or other currency returns).

I really don't know why guys like you have the need to brag about how great you are - and compare your pissy investments to those who have billions under management. Like I said - must be a guy thing. Robyn

tomorrow ill sell off some treasuries,rebalance and bring the equities back up to my goal.
Judging from this comment - you know zero - absolutely zero - about Bill Gross and PIMCO. PIMCO doesn't have a fund. It has many funds. And many non-fund assets under management. And he and his managers didn't sell treasuries and put the proceeds in cash. They invested in other fixed income assets (which may have done better or worse than treasuries - either in US $ or other currency terms - haven't tracked the results).

I really don't know why guys like you have the need to brag about how great you are - and compare your pissy investments to those who have billions under management. Must be a guy thing. Robyn

Old 08-11-2011, 05:13 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,222,880 times
Default Bill Gross

His opinion regarding our economy.

America’s debt is not its biggest problem - The Washington Post

I guess he's desperately trying to influence policy.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:21 PM

71,769 posts, read 71,875,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Judging from this comment - you know zero - absolutely zero - about Bill Gross and PIMCO. PIMCO doesn't have a fund. It has many funds. And many non-fund assets under management. And he and his managers didn't sell treasuries and put the proceeds in cash. They invested in other fixed income assets (which may have done better or worse than treasuries - either in US $ or other currency terms - haven't tracked the results).

I really don't know why guys like you have the need to brag about how great you are - and compare your pissy investments to those who have billions under management. Must be a guy thing. Robyn
he dumped them from all the pimco funds but the biggie is the pimco total return fund. thats the one i refer to.

it has nothing to do with being great.. heck i pick other peoples brains for my ideas and ill be the first to tell you that.. it has to do with just being proud of your accomplishments no matter what path you take to get there. its especially rewarding when you do some of it going against the herd and the noise.

News Headlines (http://www.cnbc.com/id/41990901/Pimco_s_Biggest_Fund_Dumps_Treasury_Bond_Holdings - broken link)

Old 08-11-2011, 05:31 PM

29,801 posts, read 34,894,042 times
Smile Welcome back

Welcome back Robyn

Old 08-11-2011, 05:37 PM

29,801 posts, read 34,894,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
His opinion regarding our economy.

America’s debt is not its biggest problem - The Washington Post

I guess he's desperately trying to influence policy.
A number of well thought of people many non economist have been saying this very thing. It is the structural nightmare the developed world is facing. I was hoping to outlive but I am afraid I won't. I believe your home state is a perfect example of.

Old 08-11-2011, 05:55 PM

43 posts, read 62,899 times
"It is still possible to get about 4.5% tax exempt these days in long term high quality state general obligation bonds - like Texas." Robyn55

Robyn, we inherited a bond from the Houston Airport Authority that's been paying 5% since 1998. Unfortunately for us, it's a callable bond and we were just notified that it's being called in about 10 days. I don't blame the bond issuer for wanting to refinance its debt at today's much lower interest rates, but it leaves us with a hole where we were receiving interest, without anything comparable to replace it with. (Although the 4.5% you mentioned sounds pretty darn good, considering the alternatives.) Oh well, them's the breaks!

By the way, what's your opinion of callable bonds, as opposed to those that aren't?

Last edited by ocdokie; 08-11-2011 at 06:39 PM..

Old 08-11-2011, 08:46 PM

3,745 posts, read 4,222,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
A number of well thought of people many non economist have been saying this very thing. It is the structural nightmare the developed world is facing. I was hoping to outlive but I am afraid I won't. I believe your home state is a perfect example of.
I reread the opinion and I still haven't a clue as to how my home state serves as a perfect example. Lack of aggregate demand? Did we read the same article?

Last edited by lenora; 08-11-2011 at 08:47 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 08-11-2011, 09:18 PM

Location: Finally escaped The People's Republic of California
11,119 posts, read 7,574,569 times
Ahhh hell I'm holding fast...... thought about reducing my 401K investment from 20% of my salary back down to the company max match of 7%...but haven't done that..most likley will just hang on and see what happens.....

Old 08-11-2011, 09:30 PM

12,671 posts, read 21,070,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
In the recent market carnage did you hold and maintain your portfolio as designed or did you fold and rush to safety?

Hold here!
You mean like 401's and IRA's? or an after-taxed account?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or