U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2011, 09:26 AM

8,197 posts, read 11,911,100 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxquest View Post
Kudos, LoveBoating. I think it's great that you're not falling victim to pettiness, whether it's your own or others'.
I just went to that other forum and read the thread that led to this one.

LoveBoating started a thread complaining about his sister-in-law's actons as it relates to her own marriage and most of the responders to his thread have basically told him that what he is complaining about is none of his business. After reading that thread, I would tend to agree.

Devoted Christian In A Bad Marriage?

LoveBoating's response to one of those posters who criticised him for being a "busybody" was the "whatever" comment. Rather than lauding him for this reaction I would say that he is the one who is being petty.

LoveBoating is not the victim in this little morality play. The main victim of his pettiness and nosiness is his sister-in-law.

I suppose that now I will be the next recipient of a "whatever" reply from LoveBoating.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2011, 09:27 AM

34,686 posts, read 33,686,426 times
Has ego changed?

Old 08-11-2011, 10:05 AM

7,339 posts, read 16,641,998 times
Wow, a guy can't even make a good change in his personality without somebody STILL making a bad remark about that change. I really don't get it. It there are folks out there in forums that don't like/agree with a thread of mine or responses I've written, WELL............... (nope, won't say what I'm thinking). Got to remember, "turning over a new leaf!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
I just went to that other forum and read the thread that led to this one.

LoveBoating started a thread complaining about his sister-in-law's actons as it relates to her own marriage and most of the responders to his thread have basically told him that what he is complaining about is none of his business. After reading that thread, I would tend to agree.

Devoted Christian In A Bad Marriage?

LoveBoating's response to one of those posters who criticised him for being a "busybody" was the "whatever" comment. Rather than lauding him for this reaction I would say that he is the one who is being petty.

LoveBoating is not the victim in this little morality play. The main victim of his pettiness and nosiness is his sister-in-law.

I suppose that now I will be the next recipient of a "whatever" reply from LoveBoating.

Old 08-11-2011, 10:16 AM

8,197 posts, read 11,911,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
I really don't get it. It there are folks out there in forums that don't like/agree with a thread of mine or responses I've written, WELL............... (nope, won't say what I'm thinking).
LOL

Are you seriously suggesting that you no one should post any responses that disagree with your point of view on any particular subject? If so, you have a very strange understanding about how message boards operate.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:29 AM

No, the responses are fine, bad and good, it's some of the "words" used in the responses that can be awfully bad! Name-calling and such isn't a reponse, it's nonsense that really doesn't need to be done! Words like "d-bag", "idiot" and others like them really should not be allowed on any forum/thread! I feel as if I'm "adult enough" not to have to ridicule an OP that much by using words like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
LOL

Are you seriously suggesting that you no one should post any responses that disagree with your point of view on any particular subject? If so, you have a very strange understanding about how message boards operate.

Old 08-11-2011, 11:41 AM

93 posts, read 169,839 times
I've just read the other post. I'm not sure what you expected, loveboating, but you were given reasonable responses except for a couple of juvenile attacks. Continue to ignore those, and focus instead on how you make make it easier for others negotiate their way through perilous times. I stand behind my statement, "I think it's great that you're not falling victim to pettiness, whether it's your own or others'." All of us fall victim to our own pettiness at times, so it's good when we learn to exercise a bit of self-control. Unfortunately, we're given countless opportunities it seems.

Old 08-11-2011, 01:15 PM

Exactly (in red)!
Plus, I'm learning the kinds of threads to put on a forum, as well as what type of responses I should give! Truely a learning experience for me, but a GOOD one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paxquest View Post
I've just read the other post. I'm not sure what you expected, loveboating, but you were given reasonable responses except for a couple of juvenile attacks. Continue to ignore those, and focus instead on how you make make it easier for others negotiate their way through perilous times. I stand behind my statement, "I think it's great that you're not falling victim to pettiness, whether it's your own or others'." All of us fall victim to our own pettiness at times, so it's good when we learn to exercise a bit of self-control. Unfortunately, we're given countless opportunities it seems.

Old 08-12-2011, 09:34 AM

8,618 posts, read 9,680,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Exactly (in red)!
Plus, I'm learning the kinds of threads to put on a forum, as well as what type of responses I should give! Truely a learning experience for me, but a GOOD one!
It just flat out amazes me that it took you this many years to learn that!

Old 08-12-2011, 10:12 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,566 posts, read 39,944,045 times
Flat learning curve, OR the effects of the 'on-line drug' ('reality' imposters / aliens / bored teenagers / axe murders / felons / stalkers...) all just the average person on an on-line forum. ...

No one is real in internet land, don't confuse it with a LASTING relationship. (You will get the drift REAL fast when someone you had entrusted fires back a deceptive or off-base comment. As you well know, folks have committed suicide and murder by being 'deceived' or targeted from on-line persecution.

Best to use it when your mind is VERY objective, and your expectations ZERO.

Might want to think of it as a 'real-time' "What's my Line?" Longest running game show in history,,, not anymore, with 'on line forums'. Broad reach, you are probably talking to someone in Whoknowsistan.

What's My Line? - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-12-2011, 10:43 AM

7,288 posts, read 10,855,099 times
I also just read the forum . . . I would have had lots of comments, but I have had a personality change!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement