U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 10:59 AM

4,281 posts, read 10,735,918 times

Advertisements

Part of how we behave is ingrained/learned and allowed us to make our living. One very different/challenging situation arises when one retires and no longer has to make that living. It can get tricky.

Like was one always an order taker and now rebells if one orders them or has a hard time making decisions when no one is ordering them?

Like was one always the order giver and now is upset people are no longer following their orders thus are alienating people all around them?

Now add the anonymity of the Internet where one can be and or say anything without fear of reprisal, but that is another subject.

While I have less and less patience with incompetence, I am disciplining myself more and more to just to smile at things and walk away when I do not like what is happening.

Life has been good for me and as I aged it became easier emotionally and financially. I have life by the short hairs. I love my life and I have to learn to better enjoy it and this means do not let people/things upset me.

To paraphrase Willie Nelson:

Here I sit with a drink in my hand. I am not wet. I am not cold. I am not hungry. These are the good times.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 03:15 PM

7,339 posts, read 16,641,998 times
Well, even though I had an "awaking" thru that "marriage" Thread, and "awakings" can happen at any age, I feel that I'm still getting blasted yet. Oh well, nothing that a few Bud Lights, a couple shots of Jose' Cuervo won't push away!

My wife asked me to delete the "marriage" Thread, but I told her that only a Moderator can do that. She said she can't believe the name-calling towards me, like "d-bag", "busybody", etc and that her sister wouldn't like seeing those "very mean" names either. She totally agrees with my feelings about her sister marriage and hopes that people won't start "bad-mouthing" her because she agrees with me. She also told me "this is the reason I do not, and will not, participate in any forum........."people can just get so, so nasty" she said.

Old 08-12-2011, 03:49 PM

8,195 posts, read 11,911,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
My wife asked me to delete the "marriage" Thread, but I told her that only a Moderator can do that.
You can send a DM to the moderator of that forum and request that the thread be deleted. You can also complain about the namecalling to that moderator. As a matter of fact, I still don't have the slightest idea why you felt the need to bring up this whole issue on this forum. This isn't a chat room, it's a forum to discuss retirement issues. You seem to want to use it to discuss the minutia of your life, such as your likes and dislikes. For example, you've already initiated threads to tell us that you like to drink, you don't like to act your age, you and your wife don't socialize with anyone who's single, you don't like people who use profanity, and now most recently, this thread about your interaction with posters on the topic of your sister-in-law's marriage.

I can't wait for your next exciting proclamation.

Old 08-12-2011, 04:25 PM

7,288 posts, read 10,855,099 times
I think the "personality change" proclamation may have been premature.

Old 08-13-2011, 01:22 AM

4,166 posts, read 5,382,661 times
I tend to pick and choose my battles these days. It takes "a lot" to get me upset. I don't view it as being cowardly. (Which I might have done in the past.) I don't feel that I have to prove anything or "set everyone straight." It feels good to be more mellow. I don't walk around with blood "boiling through my veins" and eyeballs "popping out" all the time...Some things just don't matter all that much to me. I don't take everything personally and seek revenge. YUK! There is too much bickering going on in our country today. It's everywhere and I get tired of it...I don't want to react to every little thing anymore and get caught in all the drama.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:09 AM

7,339 posts, read 16,641,998 times
First, I've notice quite a few threads on the Retirement forum where people are discussing personal matters.........no worse or better than my threads! Just take a look at a number of the threads! If you think mine are too personal, tell the other OP's about theirs on this forum.........what's fair is fair!
Actually, I think "a change in personality" could definitely be a retirement issue. A lot of people do change their personality, some and not so much, after they retire! Not having to mess with the Corporate world anymore can sure do that along with having much more time to have fun or get certain things done of which time wasn't that available before retirement.
Shall I go on????

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
You can send a DM to the moderator of that forum and request that the thread be deleted. You can also complain about the namecalling to that moderator. As a matter of fact, I still don't have the slightest idea why you felt the need to bring up this whole issue on this forum. This isn't a chat room, it's a forum to discuss retirement issues. You seem to want to use it to discuss the minutia of your life, such as your likes and dislikes. For example, you've already initiated threads to tell us that you like to drink, you don't like to act your age, you and your wife don't socialize with anyone who's single, you don't like people who use profanity, and now most recently, this thread about your interaction with posters on the topic of your sister-in-law's marriage.

I can't wait for your next exciting proclamation.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:09 AM

8,617 posts, read 9,680,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
I tend to pick and choose my battles these days. It takes "a lot" to get me upset. I don't view it as being cowardly. (Which I might have done in the past.) I don't feel that I have to prove anything or "set everyone straight." It feels good to be more mellow. I don't walk around with blood "boiling through my veins" and eyeballs "popping out" all the time...Some things just don't matter all that much to me. I don't take everything personally and seek revenge. YUK! There is too much bickering going on in our country today. It's everywhere and I get tired of it...I don't want to react to every little thing anymore and get caught in all the drama.
Isn't it great to feel that way?? I agree with you, 100%. I simply DON'T let things get to me and I'm happy this way.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
First, I've notice quite a few threads on the Retirement forum where people are discussing personal matters.........no worse or better than my threads! Just take a look at a number of the threads! If you think mine are too personal, tell the other OP's about theirs on this forum.........what's fair is fair!
Actually, I think "a change in personality" could definitely be a retirement issue. A lot of people do change their personality, some and not so much, after they retire! Not having to mess with the Corporate world anymore can sure do that along with having much more time to have fun or get certain things done of which time wasn't that available before retirement.
Shall I go on????
I enjoy your posts when I come on CD.

Old 08-13-2011, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Isn't it great to feel that way?? I agree with you, 100%. I simply DON'T let things get to me and I'm happy this way.
Thanks. It's just not healthy to live life on up and down roller coaster rides. I'm tired of all of the worry and struggle and panic attacks etc...Time to relax a little more "no matter what!" Right?

Old 08-13-2011, 12:15 PM

8,617 posts, read 9,680,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CArizona View Post
Thanks. It's just not healthy to live life on up and down roller coaster rides. I'm tired of all of the worry and struggle and panic attacks etc...Time to relax a little more "no matter what!" Right?
Absolutely!! Lucky for me I have always been pretty laid back and relaxed. If I can do something about a problem, I will. If I can't, I am able to put it into it's own "box" until I can. I will never have an ulcer!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement