U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2011, 03:12 PM

7,340 posts, read 16,650,851 times

Advertisements

At 62, I'm seeing my personality change right here on the computer! How do I mean? I done a thread on another forum and got some very unexpected, and blunt, replies along with name-calling towards me. Now, before, I would have come "unglued" and said some things that the Mod could have very well deleted my post about. I did write different things into a posting, hit "Submit Reply" and then took a second to think about what I wrote. I then hit "Edit" and deleted all that I had wrote and wrote a more appropriate reply without sounding so pi**ed off. It was almost like an "intimidation" type reply that might cause the person who bad-mouthed me to think about.......but then again? I guess I'm now learning that a "nasty reply" doesn't have to have a "nasty reply" done towards it!
I thought to myself "is my personality actually changing some with age?" Am I actually "chilling out" more/better today?
Stuns me, just stuns me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2011, 03:50 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,747,361 times
Well, it is a common-place observation that many people mellow with age, and I think that is true. Not saying that all people do, and of course many were mellow to start with anyway. So if you are saying that you seem to be mellowing in some way, that is neither unusual nor undesireable.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:01 PM

492 posts, read 1,241,509 times
After reading some of the posts on the "Christian" forum, why not try this one:Dealing with Dysfunctional Family Members in Retirement
After reading this one, you'll be surprised what normal is for us old

Old 08-10-2011, 04:23 PM

2,291 posts, read 4,949,120 times
I really don't think that I have mellowed much, I do believe that in some instances, I just do not fit into todays rude and pompus world, mostly hidden in the vail of the internet.

Those who are not strong and don't feel accepted in their "real" life take on a new personna on the internet, they want to flex their muscles, to become someone they cannot be in real life. Hence, we have to deal with a sarcastic bully.

Not wanting to waste my time on dealing with these immature so called adults, I too, type and delete....I have learned that...You cannot fix stupid...

It is sad a commentary on todays world, yet, one that I have accepted.

Old 08-10-2011, 04:38 PM

4,484 posts, read 4,746,514 times
Hhhmm, always warrants having an MRI of the head. Just sayin'

Old 08-10-2011, 05:10 PM

1,870 posts, read 3,444,909 times
Well we could start a thread called " Berate LoveBoating" and see how many posts you can take before you blow. Then next year do the same thing and see how the results compare. Seriously though, I think being in a position of retirement or semi-retirement where you are doing ok has an impact on your overall mellowness.

Old 08-10-2011, 05:16 PM

4,484 posts, read 4,746,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elousv View Post
Well we could start a thread called " Berate LoveBoating" and see how many posts you can take before you blow. Then next year do the same thing and see how the results compare. Seriously though, I think being in a position of retirement or semi-retirement where you are doing ok has an impact on your overall mellowness.

HAHAHA!!!!! Too funny!! Let's try it!!

Old 08-11-2011, 07:31 AM

7,340 posts, read 16,650,851 times
Funny, I got another reply on a thread that wasn't so nice and my reply was:
"I only have one thing to say, WHATEVER! (with a couple of "smilies" after the comment I made). The poster has been on the forum that my thread is on since making their last reply, but didn't reply to my "whatever" statement. I guess that's one way to stop the "troll" type, if that is the type of person they are.
Anyway, it still stunning to me that I'm not getting all "bent out of shape" over this person's replies to me. Actually, I should say "I'm stunned" and my wife is HAPPY cause I'm not showing any anger, just an "oh well" type attitude.

Old 08-11-2011, 08:46 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,747,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
Funny, I got another reply on a thread that wasn't so nice and my reply was:
"I only have one thing to say, WHATEVER! (with a couple of "smilies" after the comment I made). The poster has been on the forum that my thread is on since making their last reply, but didn't reply to my "whatever" statement. I guess that's one way to stop the "troll" type, if that is the type of person they are.
Anyway, it still stunning to me that I'm not getting all "bent out of shape" over this person's replies to me. Actually, I should say "I'm stunned" and my wife is HAPPY cause I'm not showing any anger, just an "oh well" type attitude.
What response could anyone make to the response of "whatever"? It does pretty much stop any discussion, whether with a troll or with anyone else.

Old 08-11-2011, 09:08 AM

93 posts, read 169,964 times
Kudos, LoveBoating. I think it's great that you're not falling victim to pettiness, whether it's your own or others'. I read a great quote recently, but did not get the source to attribute. "Be still enough to respond, not react." Makes for a happier world.

At any age, it is better to be a blessing to others than a source of more negativity. The good news is it gets easier and easier to be nice, and it does create a ripple effect in ways you may never know. Keep smiling and enjoy sharing your mellow self!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement