U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 05:27 PM

4,178 posts, read 9,427,354 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
The other thing about having a farm: At 65+, the possibility that you will injure yourself is much higher than when you were 35. What happens to all those responsibilities if you aren't able to perform all the chores, take care of the animals, etc.? Things could get out of hand on a farm pretty quickly if you aren't able to do all that work. Selling farms is slow go in this economy. We really try to make wise choices as we get older, not choices that could end up causing us problems during our old age.
LOL What happens to those animals? Well, we sell them, just like anyone who finds themselves no longer able. We have already talked to our daughter and future son in law about what they want to do with the farm if something happens - they love it and will do well. DH has 9.5 inches of titanium in his spine, and a titanium hip, one leg is shorter than the other, he walks with a cane and is on lifetime meds. But we got things to accomodate him - a 4-wheeler instead of a horse to go out and fix fences, he takes his AM and PM naps due to the drugs so we schedule the work times around his abilities. Plus I (even with lupus) take up a lot of the slack. We also have a young 13 YOA girl, a 'townie' , who is in 4-H who is showing one of the calves we had this year at the county fair - she is learning all about farm animals and helping out, and often brings her big brother and little sister along to learn and help out. Folks 'round here call our little farm "The Petting Zoo"!

We raise small Irish Dexter cattle, for lots of reasons - they are intelligent, smaller than normal, less trouble and eat less than full-sized cattle, and unlike our neighboring rancher friends we do not have to 'pull calves' in ice-covered barns every spring. Our girls just drop 'em and go. Our property was already fenced and cross-fenced when we bought it; so we just have to keep the fenceposts and barb'wire tight and secure.

We knew what we wanted, knew what we could handle, and looked for exactly what we could. Being afraid of falling is no reason not to do what makes you happy... whether it's traveling, or skydiving, or trekking thru a blizzard. DH was given an "expiration date" of 2 years ago; the docs said with his injuries there was no way he could live longer. He's still kicking - just not as high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 07:09 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,976,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCGranny View Post
LOL What happens to those animals? Well, we sell them, just like anyone who finds themselves no longer able. We have already talked to our daughter and future son in law about what they want to do with the farm if something happens - they love it and will do well. DH has 9.5 inches of titanium in his spine, and a titanium hip, one leg is shorter than the other, he walks with a cane and is on lifetime meds. But we got things to accomodate him - a 4-wheeler instead of a horse to go out and fix fences, he takes his AM and PM naps due to the drugs so we schedule the work times around his abilities. Plus I (even with lupus) take up a lot of the slack. We also have a young 13 YOA girl, a 'townie' , who is in 4-H who is showing one of the calves we had this year at the county fair - she is learning all about farm animals and helping out, and often brings her big brother and little sister along to learn and help out. Folks 'round here call our little farm "The Petting Zoo"!

We raise small Irish Dexter cattle, for lots of reasons - they are intelligent, smaller than normal, less trouble and eat less than full-sized cattle, and unlike our neighboring rancher friends we do not have to 'pull calves' in ice-covered barns every spring. Our girls just drop 'em and go. Our property was already fenced and cross-fenced when we bought it; so we just have to keep the fenceposts and barb'wire tight and secure.

We knew what we wanted, knew what we could handle, and looked for exactly what we could. Being afraid of falling is no reason not to do what makes you happy... whether it's traveling, or skydiving, or trekking thru a blizzard. DH was given an "expiration date" of 2 years ago; the docs said with his injuries there was no way he could live longer. He's still kicking - just not as high.
That is great! Sounds like a good life - would love to see your "Petting Zoo." Where we live there are farms everywhere - lots and lots of horse and cattle farms with beautiful farm houses (my favorite are the white clapboard farm houses with two front doors and a porch). I can see the appeal of having a farm, I really can.

Old 08-13-2011, 03:06 PM

This is the house...

These are the cows, horse, and DH...

And the chickens.

Old 08-13-2011, 06:48 PM

16,386 posts, read 10,367,917 times
I thought those cows were only brown! live and learn!

I admire people who don't let their number of yrs control their lives. Influence, maybe, but not control.

I don't think I'd do exactly as the couple the OP mentioned, but I am actually looking forward to working after retirement. Having been in the medical profession more yrs than I care to think about, I would love to work in a craft store. Then maybe a book store or library. Maybe for a park, gardening center, or some such thing. Job? yup. New experiences? YUP!

Old 08-13-2011, 07:05 PM

364 posts, read 553,989 times
The problem with farming is that it's very hard to travel or take a vacation. My brother has cattle and chickens (in addition to his day job). I'm always asking him and his wife to come down and stay with us at the beach, but they say they can't leave the cattle. One of the joys of retirement is the ability to just drop everything and take off when I feel like it.

Old 08-13-2011, 07:55 PM

624 posts, read 1,078,221 times
Job: Why would anybody want to stand on their feet for 8 hours a day as a security guard?

Animals:I know people who have become slaves to theirs animals. Dogs and cats must be cared for and cost money when they need boardind or a doctor's care. I almost got another dog, but after 2 weeks of the puppy chewing, crapping in his kennal, peeing on the carpet...my wife and I gave him to a neighbor with a 12 year old boy...perfect. I do not want to be held hostage in retirement by a pet. I want to be able to go places and stay there overnight without having to inconvience a neighbor or pay money to hotel the dog. I love dogs, but when I had a job it was fine to come home to a friend. Maybe when I get older and am not so active then I will get a rescure dog. I will never get a puppy again.

Yardwork: NOPE, only clean the pool

Old 08-13-2011, 08:46 PM

We are surrounded by ranch kids who, when they hear we need to go somewhere, vy over the chance to care for our critters. $5 a day, plus any eggs they gather... However, we love it so much that we choose to come home most times, rather than spend a single night away. Nothing better than that feeling of seeing that final arch of hills and knowing that last slope before the turn is ours! They make a great excuse to NOT leave, though, if we want it. Family usually comes to see us... their kids love it. I grew up 'on the beach', and traveled all over the country on business for 20 years. It is a relief to have a home away from the beach or any coast, where there is no traffic, no bustle, no stoplights, no airplanes or subways, no peeepul, and no place we have to be...

Like I've said all along, though, do what makes you happy. That's what retirement is FOR.

Actually, Dexters come in black, 'dun', and 'red'. Our bull is certified to carry all three colors... but so far, the black cow produces dun calves, and vice versa! Go figure! LOL I was pointing out (with the pic) how small they are, too - DH is 5'8" (5'7.5" on one side). And my babies are all genetically polled (hornless). Which is good, because they are always 'nudging' us for food... a 700 pound 'nudge' is strong enough!

Old 08-13-2011, 08:48 PM

3,088 posts, read 4,684,763 times
One of the joy's of retirement, for me, is being able to volunteer at organizations whose mission I support.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:18 AM

7,330 posts, read 13,263,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I think many retirees that say they work part time for something to do actually need some extra cash. I don't think its every retiree, but I think its more than we would like to admit.

As far as the security guard situation. Sure why not. Though he seems to have his hands full with all that property. I don't think I could take care of all that property and work a job also. I'm retired from one job and work a part time job now. I just filed for SS today as I'm hitting that age in a few months and I will continue working part time. For me I will be supplementing income rather than for something to do. I'm glad for any retiree that can work part time for nothing more than something to do. They have done well.
I agree, someone with 37 acres, even if 30+ are wooded, doesn't need a part time job to keep busy. They could always clear a few more acres! Sounds like a money issue to me. I would have to have about 35 acres wooded, and good access to a town (which I guess this guy must). My husband and I just have too many physical limitations already, unfortunately, to take on that kind of property. It's an idea that sounds idyllic but isn't realistic for some of us, physically or financially.
Thread drift on pets. We'd probably travel more if we didn't have dogs and cats, but I wouldn't trade the day to day joy they bring for anything. My father is terminally ill in a nursing home. He never complains about his pain or physical limitations, or the horrible boredom of nursing home life, or even the fact that he knows his days are very numbered. The only thing he can't seem to deal with is the fact that he had to give up his cats. That would probably be me too.

Old 08-14-2011, 09:21 AM

4,711 posts, read 10,906,551 times
I wouldn't be a security guard....but I got terribly bored after I retired from Federal civil service at age 51.

After floundering around for some months I found my niche in a school bus driver's seat. It's great and I've been loving every minute of it for almost ten years now. I believe being around kids keeps you young! And they remember bus drivers they liked...I ran into one of my kids the other day that plays in the NFL now...we had a nice chat.

Now, I wouldn't drive a bus just anywhere...my routes are in affluent areas, so discipline problems are few and far between.

Best part is summers off! I've been fishing, crabbing and cruising for almost 2 months now....and tomorrow we set out in our trusty old Chris*Craft for a voyage from Chesapeake Bay to Cape Cod, Mass by way of Block Island, RI.

But, by September 6, I'll be chomping at the bitt to start another school year with "my kids"...all 125+ of 'em!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or