U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2011, 05:58 AM

147 posts, read 206,158 times

Advertisements

I have a week off from work and am staying near home and seeing what retirement might feel like. Yesterday I went to a small water park and was there alone among 100s of people. I then went to a few stores and through a fast food drive in. The only people who spoke to me were the store cashiers, and the fast food order taker throughout the day.
I knew a man who worked for decades for the Post Office, After he retired his wife told me he said he would pay the Post Office if they would let him come back and work.
Yesterday I thought how he must have felt. At least at work it's a good bet someone might talk to you besides saying, "Can I take your order?"
To me it says to get thee to a 55 + gated community where others might acknowledge your prescense, possibly smile and say hello...comment on the weather!!!!
I had a 7 day pass to a fitness gym. I went once after work. Went into the female workout room. The 20 something gals with the Ipods in their ears didn't even seem to see me. I began to wonder if I was there at all.
Could it be this new generation only communcates via computer and phone to the real people in their lives? Real people in front of them are just wallpaper?
If this is what it is like retiring around here, it looks pretty lonely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 06:25 AM

9,571 posts, read 10,920,803 times
Think back to your youth, or even middle age. Did your find old people who had too much time on their hands to be fascinating people? Well, people today don't either. That's just one reason I don't ever intend to retire. I don't care to be the boring old man they cross the street to avoid.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:27 AM

20,517 posts, read 26,376,283 times
I have see some people in retirement that sit in their houses all day and do nothing. Shoot me now.

I have also seen retired people who are having a great time. They are traveling or they are active in their communities or volunteering. They are the ones enjoying retirement. I want to be like that.

Your retirement years are what you make them. See if there are any activities in your area for seniors. You have to be open and put yourself out there in order to get to meet new people. Keep trying.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:36 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,661,739 times
I had to retire a bit earlier than I had planned because of health issues. I love the freedom. When I am up to it, I can get up as early or late as I want. I can go outside and anywhere I choose and not be cooped up in a stuffy office all the daylight hours. I take buses everywhere and meet some very interesting people.

Store clerks have a little more time to chat because my shopping no longer has to be done on weekends or later in the day when all the worker bees converge on the stores after their work day is over.

I can do activities if I want or just stay home and read a book. Health permitting, I may take on a non-stressful part time job to supplement my income.

Here's the thing; you have to make your life for yourself. When you are retired, you no longer have the proscribed regimen of the workplace dictating your whereabouts or actions. It's difficult for some people who have worked all their adult lives to have the freedom to build a new life for themselves based on this freedom but you can do it if you try.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:51 AM

10,834 posts, read 14,850,338 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janeace View Post
I have a week off from work and am staying near home and seeing what retirement might feel like. Yesterday I went to a small water park and was there alone among 100s of people. I then went to a few stores and through a fast food drive in. The only people who spoke to me were the store cashiers, and the fast food order taker throughout the day.
I knew a man who worked for decades for the Post Office, After he retired his wife told me he said he would pay the Post Office if they would let him come back and work.
Yesterday I thought how he must have felt. At least at work it's a good bet someone might talk to you besides saying, "Can I take your order?"
To me it says to get thee to a 55 + gated community where others might acknowledge your prescense, possibly smile and say hello...comment on the weather!!!!
I had a 7 day pass to a fitness gym. I went once after work. Went into the female workout room. The 20 something gals with the Ipods in their ears didn't even seem to see me. I began to wonder if I was there at all.
Could it be this new generation only communcates via computer and phone to the real people in their lives? Real people in front of them are just wallpaper?
If this is what it is like retiring around here, it looks pretty lonely.
You no longer have to work 8 hours a day, spend maybe 30-45 minutes to get ready for work and travel to work, maybe another 30 minutes for lunch at work (for which you were not paid for that 30 minutes) and maybe 30-45 to get off work, drive home and sit down for a few minutes to rest after arriving at home from work. That adds to 9.5 (or 10) hours, that you now have for other activities, if you worked 5 days a week. You are now, most likely not in contact with any of your co-workers. You have to fill in these extra hours. Aging cost me my activities, so I am in a trend similar to my father. Amuse myself at home waiting on death, with a few forced errands to run each week, maybe visit a relative. My older friends from the past have died, younger ones are not interested in becoming friends with me, I am not married, no kids. Retirement stinks, unless you can afford to live it up. My $1060 per month S.S. checks does not allow any of that.
Maybe your retirement income lets your live it up.

Old 08-12-2011, 06:52 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,136,151 times
I can only speak for me, but I will have to retire just to have enough time to do all the thiings that need doing. I am somewhat astounded that people can have their lives in such good order that they can be bored. I should be so lucky!

Old 08-12-2011, 07:26 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,479,691 times
As with most things in life, retirement is what you make of it. It's also something that should be carefully planned for. I'm all too aware that doing so is more difficult now than it's been in past generations with the disappearance of many pensions and the reverses many have suffered in their savings but there are many of us who have survived in tact and enjoy our "idle" times.

After working 45 years - three career paths - I was able to retire at 62. Both my wife and I have both pensions and Social Security and we moved to a place we love that also permits us to maximize our retirement dollars. That was the result of years of planning. We live modestly, love our home, have wonderful neighbors and an active community, take day, weekend and longer trips visiting children and grandchildren, exploring our new state and others and also have quiet times surrounded by nature and beauty. It didn't happen by accident.

Both of us were in a very demanding, high stress career and both of us were tired. Retirement, for us, is like one long vacation, was looked forward to and has been enjoyed. It's what I'd wish for all.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:28 AM

973 posts, read 1,489,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I had to retire a bit earlier than I had planned because of health issues. I love the freedom. When I am up to it, I can get up as early or late as I want. I can go outside and anywhere I choose and not be cooped up in a stuffy office all the daylight hours. I take buses everywhere and meet some very interesting people.

Store clerks have a little more time to chat because my shopping no longer has to be done on weekends or later in the day when all the worker bees converge on the stores after their work day is over.

I can do activities if I want or just stay home and read a book. Health permitting, I may take on a non-stressful part time job to supplement my income.

Here's the thing; you have to make your life for yourself. When you are retired, you no longer have the proscribed regimen of the workplace dictating your whereabouts or actions. It's difficult for some people who have worked all their adult lives to have the freedom to build a new life for themselves based on this freedom but you can do it if you try.

I think this is the key! I sorta felt like the OP this summer as this is my last one before I retire from teaching and there were days where the phone didn't ring, and I just SAT there, thinking....is THIS what it will be like for the rest of my life??? But then, I thought maybe some days WILL be like this as all of my friends will still be working and I panicked until I realized that my "plan" was not really into effect and cannot be until I am retired, so sighed....BUT too thought that I really may need to find some other people to be friends with as my life turns onto another path.

Old 08-12-2011, 07:37 AM

7,339 posts, read 16,641,998 times
My brother and his wife are both retired, are "Snowbirds" and keep up property in both PA and here in FL (whichever place that are at at the time). Seems like they are always busy doing something! He makes a good retirement income from the State of PA, plus his SS. About a year ago, he got a letter for a job offer to be a Supervisor for a crew doing something in the oil business. The offered paid $400 a day and he turned it down.........he simply is enjoying his "freedom of retirement".

Old 08-12-2011, 07:47 AM

777 posts, read 955,896 times
I tried a retirement of sorts. For 2 years I had a "job" as a caretaker for a private property. My dogs and I lived on site as a presense to keep vandals and trespassers away. I didn't get compensated montarily but I did recieve free rent and utilities. It was wonderful..but I was always a few hundred short every month between dog food and bills etc....so I ended up getting a partime job which quickly turned full time and I was back in the rat race again...sigh It really is all about the money..if you are constantly worrying about how you are going to make it it's no fun.
Then, when I moved out here to Phoenix, I was unemployed for 2 years...the money stress was enough to almost drive me over the edge. With my little income and the help of food baskets and family I was barely able to survive. Thank God I don't have any major health issues.
Finally, I got a job and an apartment with a MUCH lower rent. (that accepted my dogs) Things are evening out now and once winter is here and I don't have pay summer electric I can actually relax some and enjoy my little life and my little job and my 4 big dogs...sigh
Did people ignore me because I am older?? I think not...but I also think it might be where you go...people have 8 foot high block wall fences for a reason. Alot of people don't want to interact with strangers because you never know what is going to happen.
The OP mentioned going to the gym where the 20 somethings never acknowledged their presense. Well, we raised our kids to NOT talk to strangers..is that going to change in their adulthood? Also, the gym is a very personal place..your personal goals are at stake, you may or may not get naked there, you assume positions there that normally are only done behind closed doors...the mask is off..no make-up, funny smells, sweating..it's not just about exercise when you think about it. Go to a park and start doing Tai Chi.. Even post a little sign..Here every day at 7am..Watch the folks that want to come play.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or