U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-21-2012, 03:23 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,463,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leaving4Ca View Post
Interesting, it is the middle-of-the-road folks that frustrate both parties. It's all about YOU and what YOU want... that's the only goal! Not the political and/or financial welfare of the country, just personal gain and comfort. that is hardly "full of hate" Best come down off of your high horse, before you fall off!
You're new here. Have you discovered the Politics and Other Controversies Forum yet? If not, it might be more appropriate to find it and post your partisan opinions there. This forum is about retirement issues, not politics and insults.

Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2012, 05:37 PM

28,230 posts, read 39,866,600 times
Agreed. Wrong forum for that garbage.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:27 PM

6,971 posts, read 12,478,001 times
I'm newly retired and testing out a Del Webb Community in Surprise, AZ. I decided for me to lease a home for 1 year was how I would do this. I needed time to adjust to retirement and Arizona. I am from Massachusetts. I have only been here going on 6 weeks now. So far I both like and do not like some aspects of this type of lifestyle.

I am liking the weather as it has started to cool down. Knowing that it will be comfortable up until May is a big plus. There is some beautiful scenery, especially north of the the Phoenix area as one heads up to Sedona and on to Flagstaff and Grand Canyon. So that is a plus. Phoenix and its surroundings I'm not finding appeal to me all that much. Way to much driving and distances involved. Alot of gas or stay right in your immediate area. That gets dull fast. I would like more variety than what I see with the Phx region.

As far as the retirement community goes. Well the verdict is out on that since I'm so new. I will make my final decision over the course of this year. Although deep down I'm leaning on not retiring in this type enviroment. I am 62 and there is no crime in being drawn to people in your own age group. I think I am very polite and friendly to people, but I would like to see some others around my age. The influx of snowbirds has started and still I see basically no one around my age. I see all these people around the community, the stores, rec centers, driving their cars/golf carts. Virtually everyone seems to be well over 70 into thier 80s. So it feels a little lonely on that end. and I think thats a perfectly normal reaction. I've also really questioned the complete lack of diversity in communities with close to 30,000 people in them. Something is off. Seems more of a higher income retiree that is white. It just seems very strage to me to see this complete lack of any diversity of people. That lack of leaves me wondering what does that leave with mindsets and viewpoints. In other words I could see isolation in this type of setting if one is younger and not of the same mindsets.

In closing all I have to say is. One size does not fit all in life. That includes retirement. I don't think Del Webb or any retirement community for that matter, takes everything into consideration in developing these communties. We are not all the same age, the same color or anything else for that matter. I need some diversity of people far beyond just race. None of us grew up in retirement communities. Is life suppose to be just one size fits all because we hit a retirement age. Please some diversity of life in these communities. Also I think a shuttle around these communites, or neighboring shopping and medical areas would be a sensible thought. It isn't just fancy golf courses, and rec centers that make up retirement years. Many people will not be able to drive all these distances involved in living in these communities. Drive around the Sun Cities communities and you will learn that pronto. Thanks.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:25 PM

9,570 posts, read 10,909,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
I'm newly retired and testing out a Del Webb Community in Surprise, AZ. I decided for me to lease a home for 1 year was how I would do this. I needed time to adjust to retirement and Arizona. I am from Massachusetts. I have only been here going on 6 weeks now. So far I both like and do not like some aspects of this type of lifestyle.

As far as the retirement community goes. Well the verdict is out on that since I'm so new. I will make my final decision over the course of this year. Although deep down I'm leaning on not retiring in this type enviroment. I am 62 and there is no crime in being drawn to people in your own age group. I think I am very polite and friendly to people, but I would like to see some others around my age. The influx of snowbirds has started and still I see basically no one around my age. I see all these people around the community, the stores, rec centers, driving their cars/golf carts. Virtually everyone seems to be well over 70 into thier 80s. So it feels a little lonely on that end. and I think thats a perfectly normal reaction. I've also really questioned the complete lack of diversity in communities with close to 30,000 people in them. Something is off. Seems more of a higher income retiree that is white. It just seems very strage to me to see this complete lack of any diversity of people. That lack of leaves me wondering what does that leave with mindsets and viewpoints. In other words I could see isolation in this type of setting if one is younger and not of the same mindsets.

In closing all I have to say is. One size does not fit all in life. That includes retirement. I don't think Del Webb or any retirement community for that matter, takes everything into consideration in developing these communties. We are not all the same age, the same color or anything else for that matter. I need some diversity of people far beyond just race. None of us grew up in retirement communities. Is life suppose to be just one size fits all because we hit a retirement age. Please some diversity of life in these communities. Also I think a shuttle around these communites, or neighboring shopping and medical areas would be a sensible thought. It isn't just fancy golf courses, and rec centers that make up retirement years. Many people will not be able to drive all these distances involved in living in these communities. Drive around the Sun Cities communities and you will learn that pronto. Thanks.
I don't live in a retirement community although there are a fair number of retired people here. But my community is very homogenous racially, culturally, and politically. I have never heard a single person opine that this would be a better place if there were more "diversity". Thinking about it, I don't believe I've ever lived anyplace where I heard anyone express that sentiment. Maybe many do feel that way but they don't wish to offend or fear ostracism. If someone said to me that he wished there were more diversity I'd suggest that he move to that place. I'd say the same thing to someone who complained that a Chinese restaurant didn't serve lasagna. It's both foolish and futile to move to a place that isn't a good fit.

But your words indicate that you do not want diverse ages. You seem to find the presence of people older than you as intolerable. Why is that? In a few years you'll either be their age or dead. I like folks ten or twenty years older than I am today just as I liked them forty years ago. We look alike, think alike, and vote alike. That's what counts for me. I can have a good conversation with people in their twenties and often even with teenagers. Age is inconsequential.

Liberals and racial minorities might be isolated here. So what? They can leave anytime they wish.

Old 10-14-2012, 11:49 PM

10,812 posts, read 8,054,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
We look alike, think alike, and vote alike. That's what counts for me.
There you have it, 'nuff said.

(fwiw, I don't and it doesn't)

Old 10-15-2012, 05:44 AM

18,717 posts, read 26,895,868 times
Quote:
JimRob--I really enjoyed your post and would like to hear more observations from you as your year progresses. I appreciate posts from people who are actually staying in a community and making detailed observations. The more detail, the better. It's extremely helpful to those of us who are weighing different places to move--much more useful than the guesses and assumptions that we sometimes see on this forum.

I hope you will continue to post here, and I also hope you will post photos.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:04 AM

29,764 posts, read 34,848,700 times
Quote:

I am liking the weather as it has started to cool down. Knowing that it will be comfortable up until May is a big plus. There is some beautiful scenery, especially north of the the Phoenix area as one heads up to Sedona and on to Flagstaff and Grand Canyon. So that is a plus. Phoenix and its surroundings I'm not finding appeal to me all that much. Way to much driving and distances involved. Alot of gas or stay right in your immediate area. That gets dull fast. I would like more variety than what I see with the Phx region.

Great observations and I have looked into a few communities and when doing so diversity was one of my objectives. Your observations are very helpful and I am wondering if and how you would react to an article that was in USA Today about seven years ago about African Americans from the NE relocatiing/transplanting back to the South and Del Webb communities were part of the story. Arizona would be different. I can tell you that as we were considering an Active 55 community that many of them especially in the South were actively trying to recruit minorities and their literature showed it both online and in glossy brochures. The reasons were economic as they knew their were many minorities in the NE with high incomes, often pensions and most important at the time significant home equity. When visiting new home builders whether in a 55+ community all I had to say was what we did for a living and where we were from and they were all over us.

Old 10-15-2012, 07:08 AM

29,764 posts, read 34,848,700 times
The following is the article I mentioned in my response to Jimrob!

USATODAY.com - Blacks a growing part of retirement migration south

Quote:
"The in-migration market has almost always exclusively been white," says Dan Owens, founder of Carolinas Active Retirement Association, a group of businesses that target retirees to relocate to North Carolina and South Carolina. "As baby boomers come along, there's a new generation with wealth and mobility in all segments."

That may be why:

• African-Americans are showing up in the glossy brochures and promotional videos of Del Webb Corp.'s active-adult communities, such as Sun City Hilton Head here in Bluffton, a town settled in 1825 as a summer retreat for rice and cotton plantation owners.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
JimRob--I really enjoyed your post and would like to hear more observations from you as your year progresses. I appreciate posts from people who are actually staying in a community and making detailed observations. The more detail, the better. It's extremely helpful to those of us who are weighing different places to move--much more useful than the guesses and assumptions that we sometimes see on this forum.

I hope you will continue to post here, and I also hope you will post photos.

Thank you. I'm glad you enjoyed it. Yes I will continue to post thru the year and offer as much info as I can. It actually is a very nice place but does take getting use to. I'm actually going out in a few minutes to submit an application to the Recreation Center here. There are 4 of them on the property and I would like a little part time job here. It gives me more exposure to living here and might help with adjusting. Plus a little added income never hurts in this day and age.

Old 10-15-2012, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
The following is the article I mentioned in my response to Jimrob!

USATODAY.com - Blacks a growing part of retirement migration south

Thanks TuborgP. I most definitely will be reading this article this evening when I have more time. Right now I am out for the day but wanted to answer emails and these responses before I left. After I read the article tonight I will respond to it. I'm sure it is an interesting article. Have a good day and Thanks for responding.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or