U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-03-2014, 04:20 PM
 
310 posts, read 365,697 times
Reputation: 187

Advertisements

I just bought a home in Encanterra which is a Shea Country Club development. It has a 55+ area as well within the all-ages community. My house is in the all-ages community. The development is beautiful with 4 restaurants, 3 pools, golf course, tennis etc. I still work. I'm single. I bought here because I think it will be a good way to meet people and make friends. I haven't moved in yet, will move in at the end of the month. I hope it works out!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-25-2014, 01:45 PM
 
1 posts, read 1,405 times
Reputation: 20
We live in a 55+ community in one of those cookie-cutter homes. Good advice: It is not about the home it is about the community, period. Most retirees are not that active nor know where to go to be so. A Del Webb community offers a full schedule of activities one can choose from as is their preference. Living in a university town does not mean there are a lot of activities for Seniors. Just what do those football/basketball tickets cost, if you can get them. How many schools have broadway level facilities for plays, etc.? Not many. Diversity? Who cares? Most of the people one associates with are those with similar past experiences regardless of race, gender, transgender, nationality, ethnicity, or..........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2014, 02:03 PM
 
154 posts, read 401,967 times
Reputation: 301
I am a younger boomer and so is my husband. Most of our friends are approximately our age, although a few of the men are in their early sixties. Not a single one plays, or is interested in, playing golf. If anything, as far as outdoor activity goes, they are more interested in hiking, walking, tennis, biking. Even outside of my social circle there are few in my neighborhood that care about the sport. When we get mailings from 55+ communities emphasizing the golf facilities it does nothing to sway us. In fact, it might possibly dissuade us a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2014, 02:50 PM
 
Location: Dover, DE
1,803 posts, read 3,839,737 times
Reputation: 2499
Quote:
Originally Posted by Onestep4ward View Post
I am a younger boomer and so is my husband. Most of our friends are approximately our age, although a few of the men are in their early sixties. Not a single one plays, or is interested in, playing golf. If anything, as far as outdoor activity goes, they are more interested in hiking, walking, tennis, biking. Even outside of my social circle there are few in my neighborhood that care about the sport. When we get mailings from 55+ communities emphasizing the golf facilities it does nothing to sway us. In fact, it might possibly dissuade us a bit.

Just because they emphasize golf doesn't mean that there aren't the other things available that you are interested in. As I posted before, I live in a Del Webb community just south of Charlotte, NC. Yes we have a golf course that winds through the community, but we also have tennis courts, bocce ball courts, pickleball courts, softball team and field, a very active kayak club (you can also kayak on the lakes within the community and down the Catawba Rive that borders the community), a bike club, miles of walking/golf cart trails and within driving distance of all sorts of places to hike. Most of the competitive sports have teams and participate in league play. Some even have outside teams come in and go to other locations to play. And biking is very popular here on the roadways inside and outside the community.

Just wanted to point this out because you should make sure to research the complete community and not just the "golf" part of it. Make sure to visit the area and spend several days researching the community to see what is available. For instance, we have a 3 day "visit" available to purchase that allows you access to the amenities and try things out. Or better yet, rent for a time and see if it works for you. Also see if the community has any type of newsletter or magazine with information. We have a very nice magazine that is free to all residents. There are lots of great articles and information in it. It is paid for by advertising and put together by a group of very talented volunteers who live in the community. You would be very surprised as to the background and talents of the people who move here, and everybody gives of their talents whether to other homeowners, or to the outside community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-25-2014, 03:02 PM
 
Location: Baltimore, MD
3,746 posts, read 4,223,779 times
Reputation: 6866
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simmertime View Post
We live in a 55+ community in one of those cookie-cutter homes. Good advice: It is not about the home it is about the community, period. Most retirees are not that active nor know where to go to be so. A Del Webb community offers a full schedule of activities one can choose from as is their preference. Living in a university town does not mean there are a lot of activities for Seniors. Just what do those football/basketball tickets cost, if you can get them. How many schools have broadway level facilities for plays, etc.? Not many. Diversity? Who cares? Most of the people one associates with are those with similar past experiences regardless of race, gender, transgender, nationality, ethnicity, or..........
Since you asked...Me. I'd rather be dead than live in a homogeneous Senior Ghetto.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-26-2014, 05:11 AM
 
Location: Buckeye
601 posts, read 717,063 times
Reputation: 1389
We are currently researching age-restricted communities in Arizona. We have found several that are very, very attractive. We found residents of these Age-Restricted communities to be extremely open and warm and willing to make friends. Thankfully they mostly leave their work-a-day worlds behind. First topic of conversation among new acquaintances is not "what do you do?".

On another note; in my experience those who seek "diversity" (whatever that is) are the least likely to tolerate differences in opinion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-28-2014, 12:43 AM
 
Location: San Antonio
7,629 posts, read 14,389,649 times
Reputation: 18712
Quote:
Originally Posted by rothbear View Post
Just because they emphasize golf doesn't mean that there aren't the other things available that you are interested in. As I posted before, I live in a Del Webb community just south of Charlotte, NC. Yes we have a golf course that winds through the community, but we also have tennis courts, bocce ball courts, pickleball courts, softball team and field, a very active kayak club (you can also kayak on the lakes within the community and down the Catawba Rive that borders the community), a bike club, miles of walking/golf cart trails and within driving distance of all sorts of places to hike. Most of the competitive sports have teams and participate in league play. Some even have outside teams come in and go to other locations to play. And biking is very popular here on the roadways inside and outside the community.

Just wanted to point this out because you should make sure to research the complete community and not just the "golf" part of it. Make sure to visit the area and spend several days researching the community to see what is available. For instance, we have a 3 day "visit" available to purchase that allows you access to the amenities and try things out. Or better yet, rent for a time and see if it works for you. Also see if the community has any type of newsletter or magazine with information. We have a very nice magazine that is free to all residents. There are lots of great articles and information in it. It is paid for by advertising and put together by a group of very talented volunteers who live in the community. You would be very surprised as to the background and talents of the people who move here, and everybody gives of their talents whether to other homeowners, or to the outside community.
We live in a Del Webb community without a golf course, but we do have an "agreement" with a nearby course for those interested. Other than that, full amenities to enjoy and be active in. We ARE a golf cart community which is gated, so allows us to putter around the neighborhood in our golfcarts. Lots of folks have added front patios to our homes, and we will sit out in the evening, enjoy a glass of wine/beer and folks drive by, stop and visit.

We love it, and I find it interesting that so many that want to "debate" the value of these communities don't live in one, where it seems most of us that actually do live in one find it quite enjoyable.

While it may not fit everyone's needs, lots of folks like the closeness of the community feel, and YES we have grandkids and YES they come and visit.

I agree, unless you play golf, paying for someone else's passion for it is not something I want to do, but realize there are those communities without the golf course. Hill Country Retreat in San Antonio is one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2015, 11:24 AM
 
635 posts, read 406,246 times
Reputation: 3615
I can see many positives to living in a community like those mentioned. To live there though, I would only be comfortable living there if I was uber wealthy. Kids get sick, divorced, or for any other number of reasons need to come home to roost for awhile. it would be horrible to have a child needing this type of assistance, and, since the kids cannot move in, not having the resources to move somewhere else for however long while still maintaining the costs in the community.


Also, if I did not have enough additional resources to just comfortably take off if I felt that the HOA board were getting crazy ridiculous in new rules, I would feel as though I was in a pretty prison [much prefer the idea of the old mobile home]


What I think would be nice is a community with many planned activities, and say, a requirement that 60% of homeowners were seniors. that could be nice and provide many kids with a multitude of grandparents.


What we ARE doing. We live in a neighborhood that is pretty close anyway and we are actively putting together even more multi-generational activities. Wen are also becoming active in our senior center and planning activities that we enjoy but were not already offerrred. As soon as my husband is here full time [long story, but his complete retirement is taking a bit longer than we thought it would] we will be giving free rides to and from the senior citizen center to those without the physical or financial resources to come and go on their own [ there already is some transportation available through the city, but not enough]


In addition, we are working on bringing other Autistics near us. It hurts like hell to have "normal" people think we are weird, but it is incredibly awesome to be weird and quircky with others who are. so, that is another reason I could not live in a 55 plus community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-06-2015, 02:31 PM
 
260 posts, read 474,768 times
Reputation: 201
We bought a home in the del webb community in SC in Bluffton. Not sun city, The haven. Its smaller, and I can't say I can recommend it for most. Getting anything done in the greenway areas is a nightmare of calls and letters, rinse and repeat may times. It's friendly enough for those who like to socialize, nice amenities and such. The hoa is picky and the hobby here seems to be telling on your neighbor. I had my xmas lights up ( very modest) two days prior to thanksgiving because the weather was supposed to be bad and we had company coming. I didn't even turn them on and yet got a phone call for having them up before thanksgiving. I politely told the HOA woman that the neighbor that complained could cme take them down if they wished and hung up.
We had our garage door open for a couple hours in early evening when we had 3 wks of high 90's to 100 to let the hot air out, and to come in and out of the garage as we were doing a little yard work. Well, it became a BIG deal, notes about garage doors in the weekly news letter, and so on. I got so mad I called and told them next time someone complains about my garage door, send them over. That was pretty much the end of that.
For the most part its a nice place to live. quiet and people leave you alone, but are friendly for the most part. watch the dues. some of these laces can raise them at the drop of a hat. WE are still working and plan on retiring further north, but wold I spend the rest of my life here, probably not, however, if I used the pool, social center and gym, I think I might.
one last thing, there are snakes all over our country, keep your yard clear of piles of stuff and they won't be in yours.( too often) If you are living in SC from Charleston south their are gators. They don't want you they want your dog, just sayin.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-07-2015, 06:10 AM
 
Location: Arizona
5,973 posts, read 5,319,572 times
Reputation: 18055
Quote:
Originally Posted by LPnerd View Post
We bought a home in the del webb community in SC in Bluffton. Not sun city, The haven. Its smaller, and I can't say I can recommend it for most. Getting anything done in the greenway areas is a nightmare of calls and letters, rinse and repeat may times. It's friendly enough for those who like to socialize, nice amenities and such. The hoa is picky and the hobby here seems to be telling on your neighbor. I had my xmas lights up ( very modest) two days prior to thanksgiving because the weather was supposed to be bad and we had company coming. I didn't even turn them on and yet got a phone call for having them up before thanksgiving. I politely told the HOA woman that the neighbor that complained could cme take them down if they wished and hung up.
We had our garage door open for a couple hours in early evening when we had 3 wks of high 90's to 100 to let the hot air out, and to come in and out of the garage as we were doing a little yard work. Well, it became a BIG deal, notes about garage doors in the weekly news letter, and so on. I got so mad I called and told them next time someone complains about my garage door, send them over. That was pretty much the end of that.
For the most part its a nice place to live. quiet and people leave you alone, but are friendly for the most part. watch the dues. some of these laces can raise them at the drop of a hat. WE are still working and plan on retiring further north, but wold I spend the rest of my life here, probably not, however, if I used the pool, social center and gym, I think I might.
one last thing, there are snakes all over our country, keep your yard clear of piles of stuff and they won't be in yours.( too often) If you are living in SC from Charleston south their are gators. They don't want you they want your dog, just sayin.
So you agreed to live by certain rules, most likely signed a paper saying so, and you more or less threaten people because YOU broke the rules? If you were in my HOA and you talked to one of my people like that I would see you in court.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top