Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2011, 10:11 AM

6,882 posts, read 11,206,632 times

Advertisements

I presently live in a community with an HOA. It is not gated. We are not allowed to have fences. Because of this, we have zero crime, lots of greenery, lakes and people look out for each other.

The community is now 31 years old and it's how it was originally designed. Initially, a lot of IBMer's lived there when there was a large presence here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 11:49 AM

7,572 posts, read 8,995,885 times
I'm going out to CO to look at one in Oct. From what I have seen so far it looks like there are no fences - this is a deal breaker for me. I have 2 dogs - CO has coyotes and other critters. I don't want to take my dogs out some evening (in the dark) and run into one.

Old 09-09-2011, 06:30 PM

18 posts, read 23,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The worst day retired is still better than the best day employed!
Hear hear!!!

Old 11-20-2011, 05:08 PM

1 posts, read 1,677 times
Default Elk Grove, CA

Does anyone have any experience with the Del Webb in Elk Grove, CA?

Old 11-20-2011, 05:18 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,444,765 times
It is interesting to note that the website they mentioned is supported by advertisers and the only thing advertised is the communities mentioned. Do I see conflict of interest in ratings?????????

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
As well you should, Kate. In fact, Sun City Anthem was just named the best 55+ retirement community in the entire country.

Website ranks Sun City Anthem best retirement community in America - Thursday, Aug. 11, 2011 | 2 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun

And speaking of these communities in general, I am always amazed at the venomous responses these discussions always generate. I can understand that such communities aren't for everyone (and in fact I chose not to live in one upon retirement), but I don't understand why people who don't like them always have to demonize them and denigrate the people who live in them.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:46 PM

1,282 posts, read 1,899,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipsideoffifty View Post
"I've found the answer to be living near a major university. There's so much diversity of population and points of view. You can always find the social and sports outlets that you are looking for, and there's an incredible wealth of arts, culture, education, entertainment, what-have-you. "
What a wonderful idea!!!!!!!!!!
Just because you live around college students is not going to make you young again. Sooner or later they will get on your nerves with all their noise and drunkenness.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lenora View Post
Actually, I was referring to 55+ communities.
I would never live in one. If I want my grand kids to come and visit or even stay for a year, I want the option. Those places are for people that hate children.

Old 11-20-2011, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadManofBethesda View Post
As well you should, Kate. In fact, Sun City Anthem was just named the best 55+ retirement community in the entire country.

Website ranks Sun City Anthem best retirement community in America - Thursday, Aug. 11, 2011 | 2 a.m. - Las Vegas Sun

And speaking of these communities in general, I am always amazed at the venomous responses these discussions always generate. I can understand that such communities aren't for everyone (and in fact I chose not to live in one upon retirement), but I don't understand why people who don't like them always have to demonize them and denigrate the people who live in them.
The place is nice. I see it all the time and do not live far from it. But I would never ever move there. It is for people that hate children. I would point out that, as a resident of this city, there are many places here that are good places to live without the "no kids" rule. We have town homes, houses and condos that have everything Anthem has that are not restricted.

Old 11-20-2011, 11:13 PM

4,039 posts, read 2,898,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegas Joe View Post
The place is nice. I see it all the time and do not live far from it. But I would never ever move there. It is for people that hate children. I would point out that, as a resident of this city, there are many places here that are good places to live without the "no kids" rule. We have town homes, houses and condos that have everything Anthem has that are not restricted.
Not true. I love my kids and grandkids, as do all of my friends who live here. You don't have to like these communities, but I can't for the life of me understand why you feel the need to make such over-the-top negative generalizations.

Old 11-21-2011, 08:51 AM

4,281 posts, read 12,637,266 times
One of the reasons some places have a no one under 18 allowed to stay more then like 14 days, is the developer got favorable whatevers (zoning, tax breaks, etc.) from the town as they would not be adding any children to the school system.

Plus some us do not care to live around the little buggers......LOL

Like the rules or not, they are the rules. Your choice. Buy there or move on.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement