U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2012, 09:01 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,978,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by noihoforus View Post
1. Sell the farm.
2. Figure out where we want to relocare to.....and do it. (Working on this one)
3. Do the hwy 66 route across the US in the spring in our 1940 PU.
4. Cruise to Alaska.
5. See New Zealand.
6. Become a serious fly fisher...and fish across US.
7. Increase my time in the canoe.
8. Learn to cook french food...via Julia Child's.
One of my sons did New Zealand as a big one on his bucket list (kind of early, he didn't want to be old when he went). He just got back from spending a year there wwoofing (worldwide opportunities in organic farming). Fabulous experience there, a life changing thing for him, and what a beautiful country. Not a bad place to retire, depending on what the monetary requirements are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2012, 09:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,585 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prairieparson View Post
Solo motorcycle trip to the Pacific Northwest. Glacier NP, MT. Hood, etc.
BE CAREFUL what you wish for... I did that same trip (from homestate of Colorado) when ~age 18 on my 1972 xs2, and now I'm STUCK here!!! (And I still have the same XS2, which is now in much BETTER shape since it sees relatively LITTLE sun... ) 1972 xs2 - 650 Photo Galleries

My bucket list is empty (I'm living on borrowed time), I have survived MUCH longer than I (or anyone else) had expected (when on that fateful solo MC trip... which was one of the 'more-calm'events in my life).

I would REALLY like to master the piano (again) (and learn a few languages). Both are very unlikely, more of an elusive DREAM.

Old 06-14-2012, 09:51 PM

10,817 posts, read 8,065,019 times
1) run a 5k
2) eat with chopsticks
3) obtain my 'dream' kitchen, by remodeling my current one
4) create an app

8 months into retirement:
1) have run several 5k's and then some; once a week I run 4 miles, which is longer than 5k. Haven't yet entered a 5k competition, am saving that for my 64th birthday.
2) easy peasy
3) working on it, should be there by autumn.
4) easy peasy

Got to dump some more stuff into the bucket, and make it more challenging. I under-estimated.

Old 06-16-2012, 11:48 AM

626 posts, read 806,253 times
My bucket list as far as travel goes:

Alaskan Cruise.

Banff, Lake Louise and Icefields.

European guided tour; Swiss Alps. London, Paris and wishfully Ireland.

Old 11-08-2015, 08:01 AM

1,318 posts, read 835,236 times
I've never had a bucket list but have been thinking of starting one. Here's a few things I'd like to do:

Revisit Jackson Hole, Wyoming and the Chapel of the Transfiguration in the Grand Tetons;
Learn Spanish;
Lose weight;
Visit every state in the US;
Vacation in Ireland, Scotland, Australia and New Zealand;

Old 11-09-2015, 04:28 PM

12,825 posts, read 20,144,092 times
1. Stop being sleep deprived for the first time since 1985.
2. Do all the house and yard work on my list instead of constantly accumulating a backlog.
3. Stress free clubbing on weeknights when the crowds and bridge&tunnel crowd are not taking up space on the dance floor / waiting in line at the bar.
4. Read at least 500% more.
5. Resume gardening.
6. Ride some centuries.
7. Fish.
8. Get my golf game back again.
9. Resume making beer and possibly start making wine.
10. Earn some additional SCUBA certs and possibly become an instructor.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:52 PM

5,426 posts, read 3,450,730 times
The term 'bucket list' should be banned from usage. It's a fad term. But more than that, it reminds one of death and mortality every time it is used, seen, or heard.

(those who do not think of death, mortality, and end of life when hearing it need not argue the point)

One never heard of this fad term before recently.

Hopefully like so many other fad terms and phrases that are used extensively for a certain time, it will fade away.

The last thing I need is being reminded daily or anytime of the end of my life.

Old 11-09-2015, 04:56 PM

6,573 posts, read 1,355,446 times
I have only two: Move to New Hampshire and take a Maine Windjammer cruise -- and the cruise we are doing in August!

Old 11-09-2015, 08:28 PM

13,229 posts, read 6,331,374 times
I don't have a list because I don't plan to kick the bucket.

Old 11-09-2015, 09:42 PM

10,817 posts, read 8,065,019 times
When this old thread was bumped, my undone bucket list item popped up.
Good thing it didn't get done!

3.5 years later, we're planning a transition to another state are prepping this house to sell or rent.

I would have spent >$20K on my dream kitchen.
That kitchen (glass-front oak/sage upper cabinets, gray-green quartz counters, subway tile backsplash, deep gold and gray walls, rewire electrical and add lighting) would have limited appeal to buyers/tenants.

Instead we will follow the realtors' recommendation to appeal to the max number of people by replacing the countertop, sprucing up the existing cabinet faces, and repainting the walls a cool tan color - all for about 1/3 what I would have spent on my dream kitchen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
3) obtain my 'dream' kitchen, by remodeling my current one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or