Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2011, 03:11 PM

14,450 posts, read 20,630,704 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
I expect the Ryan plan, which passed the House to be back, in which case you will get a voucher for a couple thousand and have to buy your own insurance costing at least $8,000 a year. Likewise Social Security may be cut in half
That $8000 reminds me of what one of my doctors told me in 2001. He said that he and his wife's insurance premiums were about $8,000. And he, a doctor, decided that he and his wife would just pay their medical expenses out of pocket.

Maybe some of you did not see this story.
Social Security disability and the number of people filing, etc. is a big part of the ongoing problem for social security as a whole.

Social Security disability on verge of insolvency - Yahoo! News
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 03:36 PM

12,671 posts, read 23,798,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
What changes do you expect from your government, to social security and medicare?

more coverage?
less coverage?
cheaper drugs?
higher ages for early retirement?
etc?

Medicare will let people ruin their liver with alcohol, and they'll pay for medical.

Medicare will let people ruin their lungs with smoking, and they'll pay for medical.

But, Medicare won't pay for inherited teeth issues.
More coverage, cheaper Rx and hopefully lower retirement age from 62. I am also hoping for higher SS payouts.

Old 08-21-2011, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
More coverage, cheaper Rx and hopefully lower retirement age from 62. I am also hoping for higher SS payouts.
The people who are actually thinking of changes, are all against you.
The only way to save the system, some say, is to raise the full retirement age, not down.
Payouts won't go up, unless there is some unknown source of income for the system.
As far as drugs, prices never go down.

So, if people born in the year 2000 or later, had their full retirement age raised by 1 year or 2 years, would the whole country revolt in violence?

Old 08-21-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
The people who are actually thinking of changes, are all against you.
The only way to save the system, some say, is to raise the full retirement age, not down.
Payouts won't go up, unless there is some unknown source of income for the system.
As far as drugs, prices never go down.

So, if people born in the year 2000 or later, had their full retirement age raised by 1 year or 2 years, would the whole country revolt in violence?
When Obamacare gets in full effect then I think Rx will go down.

I thought we already are raising it to 70?

Old 08-21-2011, 07:50 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Actaully I think they cost of drugs wil drop but more from less Tier1 drugs being introduced than anything. The lowering of rembursement will mean less money being invested in research from the 70% done by US now.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Actaully I think they cost of drugs wil drop but more from less Tier1 drugs being introduced than anything. The lowering of rembursement will mean less money being invested in research from the 70% done by US now.
Pfizer is the biggest Rx maker.
Generic is cheaper though and more if you buy in a 90 day supply.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:

More coverage,

cheaper Rx

lower retirement age from 62.

higher SS payouts.
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Based on what I have heard, the only way SS can survive past maybe the year 2030 is:

less coverage.

higher Rx.

higher retirement age.

less SS payouts.

I wish they would calculate the total they will pay me if I live to 80-85-90 years old and and just send me a one time check.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:07 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
Pfizer is the biggest Rx maker.
Generic is cheaper though and more if you buy in a 90 day supply.
Generic are not the latest drugs because of patient laws to pay for the research on drugs that cost so much.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:22 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,286,698 times
The changes I hope for are as follows:

1. Higher taxes to restore solvency to medicare and social security.

2. A higher retirement age. I'm thinking 69.

3. Rationing of medical care to eliminate payment for medical services that accomplish little. One prime example would be cancer drugs that cost over $100,000 and add only a month to the average person's lifespan.

The changes I'm praying we don't get:

1. Replacement of medicare with a voucher system wherein the elderly would be expected to buy their own health insurance. (Paul Ryan Plan)

2. "Privatization of social security". Basically, where we are directed to invest the money in the stock market or such instead. Honestly, anyone who believes this would be better than traditional social security hasn't lived through the stock market gyrations of the last 11 years.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:22 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,817,826 times
Never expected much from SS, as I think it will (and kinda should) be means tested and adjusted and by the time I am 65 (I'm 53)

Medicare - unfortunately, I was/am counting on Medicare and I doubt it's going to be available to me the way we need it. We can't currently get medical care (we've been turned down by 5 companies) via anything but a retirement program from the spouse's employer. We're currently paying $1,200 a month for a $7,500 per person deductible, no drug, dental or vision coverage. I see this amount going higher and higher as we get older (I'm not guessing, I've seen the rate schedule). There is a state option available to us, for about the same monthly payment and a lower deductible, but I don't trust that it won't be yanked out from under us, once we cancelled the employer-based insurance and couldn't get it back.

Getting more political than I like, this was the reason a "Democrat" (who is to the right of both Nixon and Eisenhower) was elected - a Republican could never go after the pot of money that is SS and Medicare, only a Dem can loot and cut that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement