U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2011, 06:42 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,789,699 times

Advertisements

I've decided that, FOR ME, its important for me to tell people stuff, who are not retired.

40 years ago when I graduated under grad college, I visited my then fiancee who was governessing in Martha's Vineyard. The people she was working for had little kids and the were rtenting the Froelicher House in West Chop, across the street from the Gilette's(razor blade fortune) and others of similiar mega money of 1971. I discovered early on that it was simply not kosher to say, in this crowd, that I was looking for a job. So I said, when asked by one of the Gilettes, about what I was doing since I left college, "...I'm looking for something BIG." This resulted in a response similar to this:
"Yeah... my son graduated five years ago and nothing really big enough has come up yet."

Soooo.... People who are still working, usually quite some distance in time from retirement, ASK what I am doing with myself to "keep busy". I was never interested in busy work, so I've been saying, "Not a dam thing." This usually results in quizzical looks or grimaces, as if I'm a waste to society if I'm not "keeping busy."

So I've decided to use something on my bucket list instead.

Today I said, "Well... right now, I'm learning video editing and becoming a Celtic Fiddler."

I now got.... "Ooo-Kay!!" Not a lot of comprehension, but apparently it seems that it must be useful if they really don't know what is entailed, and the busyness is pretty much beyond the asker.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2011, 07:46 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,757,007 times
Gosh, I can't for the life of me see why this would bother you. It would bother me more to lie about myself. Please don't take this as a criticism I just don't get why you feel you cannot be truthful about yourself.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:12 PM

1,922 posts, read 3,789,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Gosh, I can't for the life of me see why this would bother you. It would bother me more to lie about myself. Please don't take this as a criticism I just don't get why you feel you cannot be truthful about yourself.
Lie? Who's lying?

I actually am learning video editing, and I actually am picking up the celtic violin. I played the violin in college , and my dad was trained at Julliard.

I've alway been into movies but never had time to actually learn how to edit them. My son in law work in the film industry as an editor of movies.

Does it BOTHER ME? Heck nothing bothers me! I'm just wondering whether other people mumble something about keeping busy, or actually tell people things they are doing. I don't think other people really care. But since I'm on a teacher pension, and almost everyone I know knows that, there is definitely an undercurrent that I should be actually doing something in retirement, since their taxes have gone up to pay for the pensions(due to the fact that neither the state nor the districts have paid their legally mandated part for more than 10 years).

If this is of no interest to YOU, then don't bother to answer the question.

Old 08-16-2011, 08:13 PM

28,316 posts, read 40,033,938 times
"Enjoying my free time. Too bad you have to wait 35 (or however long) years to be able to do the same."

Old 08-16-2011, 08:40 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,586,540 times
"Whatever I want or nothing if I want."

Old 08-16-2011, 10:01 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,757,007 times
Quote:
If this is of no interest to YOU, then don't bother to answer the question.
I didn't try to answer your question, I simply asked why?

So sorry, from the way I read your post it sounded like you were making something up just to say you were doing something. My mistake.

Old 08-16-2011, 10:20 PM

34,746 posts, read 33,799,284 times
If you like to crochet or fish, tell them you're a hooker.

Old 08-17-2011, 04:44 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,586,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
If you like to crochet or fish, tell them you're a hooker.
Or if you make rugs. If you like what you do, call yourself the "Happy Hooker!"

Old 08-17-2011, 07:53 AM

7,342 posts, read 16,694,140 times
Our neighbor is a Dean at a local college.......she use to be a Professor there. She is the same as me (62) and when I asked her about retirement, she told me "not right now or anytime soon". Have another neighbor that retired (SS/Early Retirement) last year and she told me "I love it". I felt REALLY GOOD about what she said, because I'm on the same retirement now and feel the same way!
In all honesty, I truely believe some young people really feel jealous (inside) when talking to a Baby Boomer who is now retired. They think to themselves "I don't even want to think about or know how many more years of work I have to go thru!". I also believe some people get really, really jealous when they talk to someone in their early 50's (or even younger) who is retired!
But, what to say to people who are not retired, simple......."I love being retired for numerous reasons and a big one is that I can sleep-in every single morning if I want to!" If someone was to ask me "so what do you do to keep yourself busy", I'd (jokingly) say "Love to rock and roll and party every day!" That would either make somebody smile or give a curious/stunned look!

Old 08-17-2011, 08:39 AM

16,434 posts, read 10,410,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I didn't try to answer your question, I simply asked why?

So sorry, from the way I read your post it sounded like you were making something up just to say you were doing something. My mistake.
sounded that way to me too. add another 'sorry'.

I think it would depend on how I interpreted the question. If I thought the asker was honestly interested, I would tell them. If I thought they were asking me to justify my free time, I'd probably tell them something totally absurd.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or