U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 03:53 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,687 posts, read 40,050,764 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Rather than take a class, why not give a class? ...

When you teach, you have a far greater choice.
Great advice.... I do lots of teaching and really enjoy it and folks I meet.

I also recommend stepping out into something you have always dreamed of, but not had time to pursue. (Travel / camera / reading / history / dancing / exercise clubs )

Everyone is a bit different, but personally, I enjoy working evenings and weekends (even for entertainment, but most for extra $$ for 'toys' and travel). I can't STAND working days, I MUST have my days free. nights / evenings = No bosses, fun co-workers, (and usually appreciative clients). Just got off a 2pm - 2am shift (only 12 hrs, so just 1/2 day /// I grew up on a dairy farm ). We had a blast at work tonight (the boss was gone by 3pm ) We got A LOT done, about 3x the typical 'day shift output'. + we had some great breaks. (this is a very new PT job, and most everyone is 55+ 'cept a couple 'green-horns'). The overtime money is pretty good. I would prefer to ONLY work Overtime But... it would be much better if it was wintertime, or during our 285 days of rain / yr.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2011, 04:09 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,084,718 times
(this is a very new PT job, and most everyone is 55+ 'cept a couple 'green-horns')

Okay, you got me. What kind of part time job has evening hours without a boss and a +50 staff? Inquiring minds want to know.

As for the OP, in addition to what the others have posted: Locally we have open Bunco groups, ladies Poker nights and Scrabble groups for the very social. I've seen Craigslist ads for girl's night out, guy's night and that kind of thing. Admittedly I haven't checked any of these things out as we are too busy with projects to commit to anything but some of it is very long standing. Good luck.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:13 AM

3,442 posts, read 5,618,044 times
If you have a community theater they can always use volunteers. Nice way to meet people to do things with in the evening. Much of the work they do is in the evening anyway.

Old 08-19-2011, 06:09 AM

2,291 posts, read 4,953,578 times
I live in Florida, I recently have joined a meetup walking club and a orchid club, I enjoy both. Next...a singles travel club!

All your ideas are great, persue what interests you!

Old 08-21-2011, 02:04 PM

4,281 posts, read 10,753,055 times
Just stay away from the do not have pot to pee in's, heavily medicated (mind altering prescription) types, druggies, heavy drinkers, heavy gamblers, those that belittle former spouse, those with children at home, and the crazies.

One additional thing. Never ever have sex with anyone crazier then you are (and I do not mean you personally).

Now that we have eliminated quite a few, have at it...LOL

Old 08-21-2011, 06:59 PM

23,605 posts, read 31,524,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
Just stay away from the do not have pot to pee in's, heavily medicated (mind altering prescription) types, druggies, heavy drinkers, heavy gamblers, those that belittle former spouse, those with children at home, and the crazies.

One additional thing. Never ever have sex with anyone crazier then you are (and I do not mean you personally).

Now that we have eliminated quite a few, have at it...LOL
Who's left?

Curmudgeon's first rule of relationships. Never enter into one with someone who brings along more baggage than will fit in the overhead compartment.

Old 08-22-2011, 12:07 AM

8,080 posts, read 13,478,956 times
I am not easily offended but the last few posts are pretty tacky considering I just lost my husband.

Old 08-22-2011, 04:37 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,524,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I am not easily offended but the last few posts are pretty tacky considering I just lost my husband.
Sorry, but I think you are. Sorry about your loss as well but your descriptive of "empty nester" does not usually conjur up images of loss of a partner. Rather, it evokes images of children growing up and leaving the nest.

I don't think that anyone was making light of your situation.

Old 08-22-2011, 06:45 AM

16,042 posts, read 19,004,474 times
Kelly, I'm so sorry for your loss. This is a period in which you will just want to do things automatically, without deliberating too hard about them. The gym idea is great, you always meet people. The water aerobics allows opportunity to chat while in the water. Maybe since you're going back to work, structure something 3 nights a week that includes at least one weekend night. The hardest nights are Fri and Sat to be home alone. If you have friends close by, start a round robin movie group with potluck that way you are ensured something to do on one of those nights. On the other maybe the Meetup idea. We have an Italian club here that has presentations on Fri nights--movies of Italy, food demonstrations, etc. I'm reminded here that I ought to start going again. Anyway, my point is not to do something too complicated since you'll be working, but structure something so you know what you have to do on 3 or 4 nights of the week without having to plan something new every time. Good luck.

Old 08-22-2011, 11:53 PM

8,080 posts, read 13,478,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Sorry, but I think you are. Sorry about your loss as well but your descriptive of "empty nester" does not usually conjur up images of loss of a partner. Rather, it evokes images of children growing up and leaving the nest.

I don't think that anyone was making light of your situation.
First sentence of first post states I lost my husband this spring.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement