U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 07:53 PM

8,080 posts, read 13,458,974 times

Advertisements

I became an empty nester this fall & a widow this spring, but this isn't a post for sympathy. I am trying to make choices that we help me adjust.

I need ways to get out of the house in the evening and find company. I am not interested in dating(for now) or the bar scene(ever). I am busy during the day with house renovations & will be going back to work.

What I need to start doing is finding evening activities that will help me spend time with others & find friends to do things with. The evenings get lonely..
I enjoy the movies & Bookstore but that doesn't help me meet friends.

I am thinking dinner clubs,classes ect.

let me know your ideas..I like outdoor activities, photography, cooking, traveling, camping & fishing

Last edited by kelly237; 08-18-2011 at 07:54 PM.. Reason: added info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 08:03 PM

2,902 posts, read 4,581,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
let me know your ideas..I like outdoor activities, photography, cooking, traveling, camping & fishing
I think you've come up with some good ideas on your own. Look in your local newspaper or the bulletin board at your supermarket or local bookstore for hiking groups, photography clubs, etc.

Do you have any friends who enjoy movies? I go out almost every week with a group of gals for a casual dinner, then a movie. Great fun...

Old 08-18-2011, 08:22 PM

4,130 posts, read 13,307,278 times
book clubs might be nice and nite-time courses at your local high school - they have so many - cooking, exercise, foreign languages, travel etc.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:24 PM

22,592 posts, read 12,334,192 times
Good post, Kelly ... I am in the same predicament as you.

I am a male, single, late 50s ... involved in several organizations and community groups which is fine for daytime activities, but on some evenings I'm keen to get out of the house and see other people. Sometimes I visit a bar ... not a "pick - up" type bar, but a piano bar kind of place with a more mature clientele ; other times I'll grab a magazine or paper and go to a Starbucks type of coffee-shop. Just to be around other people. There are times I just have to get out of the house.

Old 08-18-2011, 09:09 PM

27,093 posts, read 5,892,953 times
Google "meet-up groups" for your area....it will list all types of get-togethers & focus groups to consider---running, books, dinner-out groups, vegetarians, knitting etc.

Best wishes for your future

Old 08-18-2011, 09:38 PM

8,134 posts, read 7,640,397 times
You might try meetup.com at their site, you type in your zip code and types of activities that interest you and depending on your local, there are activities and groups that generally appeal to many people.

Camping, hiking, dining, dancing, theater, indie films, book clubs, breakfast clubs, general social groups, religious, athiest groups and so on. Personally, I've always been able to find some social activities through meetup, in whatever city I've lived. I've also developed some terrific friendships via the groups. It's not for everyone, but doesn't hurt to check some of their groups out. I wish I had the energy to attend many of offerings they have. I did manage to attend a masquerade party held by one of the meetup groups a couple of weekends ago and I had a blast. I will try to find the video clip to post another time.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:09 PM

18,852 posts, read 31,708,488 times
I suggest a really great gym.

Old 08-18-2011, 10:16 PM

Meetup groups are a great idea. I have done some hiking , kayaking & biking with Meetup groups. I need to head back the the main Meetup page to see what other groups meet. I wouldn't even mind helping a new mom at our church out some..babies are so fun to be around.

Thanks everyone...

Old 08-18-2011, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasper12 View Post
I suggest a really great gym.
That is an awesome idea..We have a YMCA very close. I would meet people, get in shape, and find classes .

Old 08-18-2011, 10:36 PM

9,573 posts, read 10,917,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
What I need to start doing is finding evening activities that will help me spend time with others & find friends to do things with. The evenings get lonely..

I am thinking dinner clubs,classes ect.
Rather than take a class, why not give a class? The subject can be anything from crocheting to local history to an introduction to hiking. Classes with field trips are easy ways to socialize. As the leader people will seek you out; that's guaranteed. Local school systems often have adult education divisions and are looking for teachers.

If you don't want to do something completely on your own, you could teach Red Cross first aid classes. They run over a period of days and would allow you to get to know people. Hiking and mountain clubs are always looking for volunteers as well as trip leaders. There's bound to be one in your area. Many have evening hikes during the summer months.

When you teach, you have a far greater choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement