U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2013, 08:26 PM

5,288 posts, read 17,972,757 times

Advertisements

So depressing. My mother-in-law is almost 97 - she has been lingering now for several years....she has no quality of life and has said she is ready to die....but her heart is strong and she loves to eat....she'll live to be 100 I'm sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2013, 05:49 AM

4,349 posts, read 6,066,011 times
I remember being in my early 40s and meeting an older woman who spoke of nursing homes as if they were the better alternative to living with her children when the need came. I think it's about outlook. My mother-in-law has been in one for five years and shows no signs of leaving this world. My mother, on the other hand, broke her arm at 84 and was taken to a rehab facility after surgery. She mistook it for a nursing home, got up to leave, broke her hip, then died 9 weeks later from complications.

Old 08-27-2013, 06:18 AM

5,288 posts, read 17,972,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
I remember being in my early 40s and meeting an older woman who spoke of nursing homes as if they were the better alternative to living with her children when the need came. I think it's about outlook. My mother-in-law has been in one for five years and shows no signs of leaving this world. My mother, on the other hand, broke her arm at 84 and was taken to a rehab facility after surgery. She mistook it for a nursing home, got up to leave, broke her hip, then died 9 weeks later from complications.
Your poor Mom! I'm so sorry. Those broken hips seem to often be the beginning of the end. I agree about having a good outlook. I have been in many nursing homes over the years...doing service, visiting friends and family...some are nice and some are not.....I don't wish to be a burden on my kids but I do hope that should I ever need to go to a nursing home, that my boys and daughter inlaws will pick out a decent one and not forget me.

Old 08-27-2013, 09:09 PM

1,815 posts, read 1,140,177 times
My motherinlaw has had 2 hip replacements, 1 hip repair, 1 spinal surgery. All of which sent her to a nursing home or should I say skilled nursing facility. Before that she had a broken leg. She will be 90 in Novemeber. She is a tough ole bird and does not like being in those places, she gets along, bids her time, does the therapy and gets out every time. When we go in and out of this same nursing home, we always see a lot of familiar faces, but, a lot of new ones too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or