U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2008, 06:23 PM

450 posts, read 1,839,305 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I have posted information on both Toldeo Bend and Sam Rayburn ]]

Sam Rayburn? Now, there is a blast from the far far past. Wasn't he the Speaker of the House or something during the Eisenhower administration?
Well, I guess a blast if you are into politics. I associate him with LBJ. Rayburn and Johnson were two powerful Texans that brought a lot of pork back to ole Texas. The Rayburn Dam and lake is a Corps of Engineers project. Big Sam--as it is affectionately known--is the largest lake entirely in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2008, 01:36 PM

99 posts, read 279,964 times
I live on Lake O' the Pines and have since 2005. I like it here on LOP and it is a short drive to Caddo Lake for bass fishing! Jefferson, Texas is a nice little B & B town with antiques, historic buildings and something going on all year around, a fun little tourist town.

My taxes aren't as bad as they were when I lived West of Fort Worth, Texas, where 5 acs. taxes had reached $3k a year. Good luck!

Old 05-11-2008, 01:43 PM

Lake O' the Pines is a Corps lake;
Corps Lakes Gateway: Texas - Ferrells Bridge Dam Lake O' The Pines

Just in case someone is interested.

Old 05-11-2008, 05:09 PM

Thumbs up Howdy, Texangelwings!

Quote:
Originally Posted by texangelwings View Post
I live on Lake O' the Pines and have since 2005. I like it here on LOP and it is a short drive to Caddo Lake for bass fishing! Jefferson, Texas is a nice little B & B town with antiques, historic buildings and something going on all year around, a fun little tourist town.

My taxes aren't as bad as they were when I lived West of Fort Worth, Texas, where 5 acs. taxes had reached $3k a year. Good luck!
Glad you are happy on LOP. I e-mailed a number of people when I was considering the area and they were all very friendly. And I do believe Jefferson is a real gem and an ideal place for a retirement center featuring all the amenities. I chose Toledo Bend because I wanted more property on a lake for the price. But those who are looking for more culture should definitely consider LOP. All of us lakers in East Texas and Northwestern Louisiana have got to stick together--and each lake has its unique characteristics. For scenery, LOP is hard to beat. God Bless.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:40 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,955,483 times
I use to have a place on toledo bend lake. The thnig about retirement is there still isn't alot of medical facilities nearby especially the specialites.Yes ;Sam Rayburn was the speaker and Johson's friend.

Old 05-13-2008, 02:09 PM

Default Howdy Kurt!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt View Post
Glad you are happy on LOP. I e-mailed a number of people when I was considering the area and they were all very friendly. And I do believe Jefferson is a real gem and an ideal place for a retirement center featuring all the amenities. I chose Toledo Bend because I wanted more property on a lake for the price. But those who are looking for more culture should definitely consider LOP. All of us lakers in East Texas and Northwestern Louisiana have got to stick together--and each lake has its unique characteristics. For scenery, LOP is hard to beat. God Bless.
Glad you found the place you wanted to be! I have enough property to mow with the 3 lots.

Yes, for those who have not spent time in East Texas on the lakes, they are missing something special. I haven't been to Toledo Bend, yet, I have heard a lot of good things about that area! Take care and God Bless you and yours!

Old 05-13-2008, 05:31 PM

Question Medical facilities and Toledo Bend

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I use to have a place on toledo bend lake. The thnig about retirement is there still isn't alot of medical facilities nearby especially the specialites.Yes ;Sam Rayburn was the speaker and Johson's friend.

Hi, Texdav! How long ago were you at T-Bend? I agree with you that it is still lacking many amenities that retirees seek at present, but that is beginning to change. With more development--and it is getting more upscale
--the facilities will follow. Many is growing and so is Toledo Town--there is even a small clinic in Toledo Town, now.

Natchidoches is some 40 miles away and is becoming a major retirement destination. Lufkin, ditto, although further away. Of course, Shreveport has everything--but I don't really care to drive that far and in a bigger city.

Drop me a line on this thread or privately. I would like to know more about your time on T-Bend and how long ago that was--it is really changing, now.
God Bless.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:35 PM

I had a place in a subdivision on 6 mile creek of about ten years.I also had a place i the Teaxs hill coubtry for about ten years. Pretty much the same situation there in the any emergency services were about 30 minutes away. I was younger then but it definely got my attention about retiring to the country. Boht the couple who lived on the ranch nearby their whole life died of heart attacks before they got to a emergency center. I also saw alot of peole in the subdivision that wre older wait along time for help on 6 mile.While I loved both places ;I decided to sell when I got offers I couldn't refuse.Besides thast the lake got so crowded with jetski etc that it just wasn;t thewsame anymore.It is a beautiful lake as is rayburmn and some very nice housing there also. It still is cheap compared to many similar places also.Personally I would look at the louisana side of toledo as it is very pretty there and not so developed.;but further from the same facilities.As to time I fished both rayburn and toledo bend from the fist days they opened. It was like fidhing in the deep woods then with only a few boat lanes. Both are great bass lakes but weekends can get crazy with all the tournaments.

Old 05-18-2008, 07:20 AM

Thumbs up Interesting post, Texdav.

Six mile creek is further south from me and that part of the lake is deeper and has more of the stumps cleared so it is prone to more recreational activities like jet skis. But T-Bend is a very large lake and much of it is only suitable to fishing and much quieter. You were definitely in the most active part of the lake in regard to tournaments and recreational boating.

I don't know your age, but understand your concern in regard to healthcare. I am only 58 and can wait--Lord Willing--for the medical facilities to develop closer by. I have quite a bit of land on the North end of the lake--it is really quiet up there--shallow and stumpy--but am looking for a place down by Cypress Bend resort and Turtle Beach at midlake which has some areas cleared of stumps but most areas not. I will hole up there closer to amenities and wait for more development up north--or simply sell off my land there in the future.

You might come and visit sometime and see how things are beginning to change in Toledo Town near the Pendleton Bridge. I don't think I could afford digs on Six Mile now, as I like to have at least 200 feet of lakeshore to live on. That area is getting pricey. God Bless.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:35 PM

Well we are the same age and my wife is 5 years younger. I got to where I used the place less and less and used anohter place in the hill country more. In the end I sodl both(double my money from what I origanally paid) and in fact sold the hill country place for more. We will be moving to new braunfels in the near future as it is a place we like with so much around it.I enjoyed my place on the lake especially the early times.I have a friend that owns a marina on the louisana side of the lake near pandleton bridge and alot of acreage. I just wish I had bought more land then near six mile;oh well it was fun and payed off anyway.Good luick and good times.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or