Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 11:55 AM

450 posts, read 2,051,923 times

Advertisements

I have done an extensive study on waterfront property and its affordability, taxes, medical facilities as retirement amenities, and overall weather as possible retirement sites. I have posted information on both Toldeo Bend and Sam Rayburn but now I need some of your input on Lake of the Pines in East Texas.

First, Texas has no state income tax. That is a big plus. You need to find a lake that is far enough from big urban centers that it will not be overcrowed with recreational boaters on the weekend. I understand Lake of the Pines can get pretty busy, but it is father away from Dallas than alot of lakes. I have heard good things about Tyler, Marshall, Longview as good places for shopping and medical. I am not impressed by Shreveport--sorry--it just is not my cup of tea.

I am looking at real estate prices in the Lake of the Pines area and they seem very reasonable. I hear that Jefferson is a neat little town with somewhat of an historical ambiance. The lake seems to be divided between north and south shore properties. Does it fluctuate in level alot? In other words, do you have to be careful not to buy in a shallower area that might turn into a mudhole for parts of the year? Is there a good breeze on the lake to cool things down abit. Most important, as a Corps lake, will they allow for any docks on the lake? What is the setback for a house? If you buy a house is its location grandfathered in? If there are some trees or branches blocking your view, will the corps let you trim them up.

I have been very wary of Corps lakes because of restrictions. But from the looks of listings on Lake of the Pines the houses seem close to the water with pretty good views. I even saw some with docks in the water. Any info you can give me would be great. It appears to be one of the most scenic lakes in East Texas and I love pine trees. Also, it is closer to retirement amenities than let us say Toledo Bend and a bit further from possible hurricanes. What are property taxes like on the lake? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 12:37 PM

9,319 posts, read 18,716,205 times
Do you have any information on property taxes for this area?

Old 08-15-2007, 12:58 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,904,544 times
Texas has high property taxes and generally a hot humid air mass. If you can live with those the reasonable property prices and pretty countryside make East Texas lakes attractive.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:13 PM

Default Texas Taxes/East Texas climate

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
Texas has high property taxes and generally a hot humid air mass. If you can live with those the reasonable property prices and pretty countryside make East Texas lakes attractive.
Yep, I realize that if you do not have a state income tax you make up some of the revenue through property and sales taxes. But Texas is still a bargain for me. For one thing, in Florida the home insurance costs have nearly tripled due to the past hurricanes. I know about the East Texas climate as I have land on Toledo Bend Lake to the south. But Lake of the Pines just seems like such a scenic area and it is much closer to amenities that retirees might like. I would still like to hear from someone who has experience living on Lake of the Pines and what it is like with Corps restrictions.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:09 PM

1,845 posts, read 6,843,727 times
This forum has people from all over. You might want to ask questions about Lake of the Pines in the Texas forum. There is more likely to be people who would know about it in Texas.

Is Lake of the Pines a housing track or just an area?

Old 08-15-2007, 09:41 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,018,009 times
Texas actually is in the mid-range as far as overall taxation (compared to the rest of the U.S.).

Old 08-16-2007, 11:56 AM

Default Thanks, Waterlily. I will go to Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterlily View Post
This forum has people from all over. You might want to ask questions about Lake of the Pines in the Texas forum. There is more likely to be people who would know about it in Texas.

Is Lake of the Pines a housing track or just an area?
Lake of the Pines is a pretty big lake not too far from Marshall/Tyler, Texas. Tyler is a major retirement site so I thought I might get some action. But I will go to the East Texas threads to see if I can hunt up some more information.

Old 08-18-2007, 03:42 PM

Default I posted on Texas forum and lots of info there.

I did post on the Texas forum so if you want to know about Lake of the Pines I have had some great posts from a guy who really knows the area. It sounds better and better. Gosh. I have a place on Grand Lake in Oklahoma--am getting rent on that so some income--land on Toledo Bend in Louisiana--and now looking at Lake of the Pines. I will settle somewhere for sure--make up my mind in the next year.

Old 05-10-2008, 06:47 AM

1 posts, read 2,856 times
Smile Lake of the Pines

Kurt, it sounds like you really did your homework about the Lake of the Pines for retirement but noticed it was back in 2006. I'd be interested in knowing if you ever made a decision and built a home there and what all you learned about the lake or subdivisions around the lake. We'd want a gated community. Sure would save us alot of foot work to know what others before us have learned. Would appreciate a message back from you at [email]pghammer@sbcglobal.net[/email] when you get a chance.

Old 05-10-2008, 05:48 PM

8,807 posts, read 21,236,910 times
I have posted information on both Toldeo Bend and Sam Rayburn ]]

Sam Rayburn? Now, there is a blast from the far far past. Wasn't he the Speaker of the House or something during the Eisenhower administration?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement