U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2011, 06:03 AM

14,018 posts, read 17,726,438 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I can't think of a place that I would dislike more than living in Las Vegas - it is the armpit of the US.
I haven't been to Vegas for a good number of years, so I don't know if you're right or wrong. However, it would be more interesting if you would give the reasons for your opinion. People say, I like this, I don't like that. I always want to know why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2011, 06:19 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,967,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Place lists don't seem to consider car dependence.
Place lists are also completely skewed when it comes to affordability, some of the places being hyped are laughable in that category. Nobody seeking an affordable place to retire, who wants to buy a house, would ever best move to a state with really high property taxes like NH or NY, or even most parts of VT and MA, or CT. And who at 80 wants to move to a giant city they've never lived in before (unless they have friends or relatives there). I think they're running out of places to put on their lists and are really digging deep.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:30 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,537 posts, read 39,914,033 times
10 affordable places to retire:

Winchester, VA
Portland Maine
Gainesville, GA
Wenatchee, WA
Tulsa, OK
Cheyenne, WY
Columbus, Indiana
Ithaca, NY
Harrisburg, PA
Midland, TX

of that list I would only consider Wenatchee and Portland, Me. Neither which are on my 'econo' list, but both are at least 'livable'. Wenatchee is a supreme choice for those who are without car and want a semi rural location in a NICE climate and picturesque area. There is a regional transit system to nearby hot spots (Leavenworth - Chelan)

Cheyenne I don't think so (even tho I love WY, and it is a GREAT affordable state, there are many places there I WOULD not CHOOSE to live... Rock Springs, Green River, Casper, Gillette, Bill, Cheyenne ...).

Old 09-06-2011, 09:07 AM

6,850 posts, read 7,795,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas User View Post
Houston, TX is very affordable also.
Lots of places are affordable, and there is always a rationale for that.

Old 09-06-2011, 01:48 PM

1,285 posts, read 2,920,385 times
Why isn't Mexico on the list?

Old 09-06-2011, 02:24 PM

4,571 posts, read 7,054,651 times
this is is only US locations. If you goggle, you can find lists of international locations to retire.

Old 09-06-2011, 08:06 PM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
Place lists don't seem to consider car dependence.
So very true. I always look for public transportation in the places on these lists and find most of them lacking and some misleading.

Also hospitals and medical care facilities.

Old 09-07-2011, 12:05 AM

5,090 posts, read 13,542,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
So very true. I always look for public transportation in the places on these lists and find most of them lacking and some misleading.

Also hospitals and medical care facilities.
That is the same reason, I have problems with these lists. Public transportation and health care availability are the most important issues for seniors.

Excellent Public transportation and Extensive Health Care are more often found in large metropolitan areas. Large metro areas do provide affordable places to live because they offer all levels of housing and because they are larger, they provide more competitive pricing and availability for groceries and other necessities versus a small town.

You can easily find, areas of a suburbs or a city that can be your own created small town from a surrounding neighborhoods that can provide daily necessities plus access to good public transit that can take you to other areas of the larger area for needs that are not daily or immediate as in hospital services.

All you need to do is live near a good basic supermarket on a major bus route. A supermarket today offers the equivalent of many stores under one roof that in the past were separate shops. It is even better if you live near a Super Walmart which gives you even more "shops" in one building. In addition, these large stores bring in other stores in and around them. So you will have some restaurant and stores that are walkable.

I live within walkable distance of a large Kroger supermarket, an Ace Hardware, Walgreens, movie theatre, auto repair, numerous restaurants, churches, variety of stores and a Walmart about 1 1/2 miles down the road. All this is on a major bus route with more services/stores/doctors/dentist and connecting buses on this route. Also a rail station is now being built at 1/3 mile from my house. There are a parks and open space nearby. This is my "small town" that I get most of my needs but I have the availability of the larger Denver area.

When the rail station is completed, all areas in and about all other station become my "virtual" extended neighborhood. This is what I learned when I lived in Europe and NYC is that rapid public transit and good public transit extends your reach to other neighborhoods. The need for owning a car because unecessary and that financial burden does not exist.

What I am saying you can create your own "small town" in a neigborhood in a larger metro region. Denver is consider expensive but my groceries and other purchases are cheap because I have many sources of competition. Also, where I live the housing is much less expensive than many other neighborhoods. All areas in any metro area that is deemed expensive are not all the same--there are many choices of places to live.

Livecontent

Last edited by livecontent; 09-07-2011 at 12:14 AM..

Old 09-07-2011, 10:57 AM

3,452 posts, read 2,253,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattknap View Post
I can't think of a place that I would dislike more than living in Las Vegas - it is the armpit of the US.
Actually, I love living in the metro Las Vegas area. Since the topic is affordable places to retire, it's very appropriate to include the LV valley in the discussion. Housing prices have dropped dramatically since the boom years and it has been a haven for retirees for some time. Your opinion of LV may be based on gambling -- certainly the bedrock of the local economy -- but there are almost 2 million people living here who go about their lives pretty much as everyone else in the US does. As someone famous said (W.C. Fields?), I resemble your remark. I understand that you wouldn't want to live here (different strokes for different folks) but object to your characterization.

Last edited by KiwiKate; 09-07-2011 at 11:24 AM..

Old 09-07-2011, 02:04 PM

943 posts, read 1,555,299 times
Default taxes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You said it best NEgirl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement