Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 06:42 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Is there a VA Hospital there?
There is a VA clinic but I don't think a hospital--google it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 06:45 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
I lived 30 minutes from Harrisburg, PA as a kid and when I went to college. It would be a place that I would have no interest in retiring to.

Now Portland...maybe. But up the coast more would be more fun.
I agree, but where you are going, far up from Portland, is very pricey. Other towns along the coast are great in summer but very remote in winter. One interesting thing about Maine, including Portland and Bar Harbor, is that there are no less than 17 Seniors Colleges in that state. Somehow Maine is quite progressive when it comes to older citizens.

Old 08-24-2011, 07:36 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
Consider Variations on a theme.

San Antonio, Sheridan, WY, and Bremerton, WA come immediately to mind (just the few I know). I'm think'n Tuscon would be your closest spot (IIRC, you have relocated from a 'less desirable', to get to SV) I was just there, but as much as I hate the rain in PNW, I like to fly too much to be in AZ and not near a major Airport. I certainly could not tolerate Phoenix. (I don't do stoplights) Currently live 20 minutes from an international Airport (hub) and no stoplights in the entire county.
I'll keep that in mind

Old 08-24-2011, 07:37 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
There is a VA clinic but I don't think a hospital--google it.
I require a full fledged Medical Center close enough for 911 to take me directly there.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:15 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,100,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I don't do lists and I damn sure don't pay attention to AARP.
This site won't let me give you any more "atta boys!" so I'll just have to tell you, I agree.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:27 AM

1,920 posts, read 4,318,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I agree, but where you are going, far up from Portland, is very pricey. Other towns along the coast are great in summer but very remote in winter. One interesting thing about Maine, including Portland and Bar Harbor, is that there are no less than 17 Seniors Colleges in that state. Somehow Maine is quite progressive when it comes to older citizens.
Its not as if we don't know what the cost of living in Bar Harbor are. What is pricey for one person is not pricey for another.

Actually my taxes in Lancaster County PA, the cheapest tax area in any of the counties locally, are only slightly less that the taxes in Bar Harbor, Maine. So anyone moving there from south central PA, who could survive adequately there will not find it too difficult to survive in Bar Harbor. Additionally we may take in a couple of college students(girls preferably) from the College of the Atlantic to supplement our income, and to provide assistance if we should need it.

And as you say, MDI has one of the most active senior colleges, and one of the most stimulating, since a large percentage of the retired there, are retired from College of the Atlantic, Maine Bio Lab, and Jackson Lab, as well as some of the idle rich or famous politicians. What I HAVE idscovered is that once you are retired it levels the playing field. Nobody really cares anymore how powerful you were when you worked, and much of the social climbing sh@t that existed before doesn't really exist anymore. And the people who try to keep that stuff going tend to get isolated.

Additionally, having a full fledged REAL LIVE college on the island tends to bring groups and activities in, which enrich the winter community. So some of the isolation that one has elsewhere in little fishing villages along the coast does not exist on Mount Desert Island.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Acadia...01372329946933
See the kind of things that regularly happen.

Last edited by Zarathu; 08-24-2011 at 09:26 AM..

Old 08-24-2011, 09:07 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,822,829 times
There is a reason why these ten places are considered the most affordable places to retire ... There is no real demand to move there (retired or otherwise), ... which would drive prices up.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:42 PM

14,229 posts, read 30,017,781 times
Yikes... Who does the research for these lists and what are the parameters? Some of these places are dismal with awful weather. I guess it's the different strokes thing.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:47 PM

9,319 posts, read 16,654,623 times
Everyone posts lists for retirees: best places to retire, most affordable places to retire, etc. IMO it all depends upon what you as an individual, or couple, are looking for in a retirement area. What is your priority? Affordability? Activities? Entertainment? Peace and quiet? Good Shopping? Climate? Friends? Hobbies? family?

There are so many things to consider that are dependent upon individual circumstances and wants and needs, that to me, these lists, are not much use to the average retiree.

Old 08-24-2011, 12:49 PM

1,568 posts, read 3,225,789 times
...maybe Portland? This list is pathetic and I agree with the early statement, "Cheap due to NO demand."

Good lord...Tulsa and Cheyenne? Are these people nuts?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement