U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-23-2011, 08:44 AM
 
144 posts, read 286,959 times
Reputation: 162
I see so many seniors at local indian casinos so I assume this must be a popular activity for senior but I rarely see it mentioned as viable alternative to fishing, traveling, etc...

Why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-23-2011, 08:50 AM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
28,496 posts, read 62,152,821 times
Reputation: 32177
why?
it's indoors and without bugs
air conditioning (and heat in winter)
good light
LOT's of bathrooms
free parking and often free shuttle services
general busy-ness going on all the time
sometimes actual entertainment
low priced buffets
many other people their age to do all those things with
or just to observe and criticize for not doing the things with them

and a chance for the occasional win
that help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2011, 09:23 AM
 
8,197 posts, read 11,913,206 times
Reputation: 17979
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockproipi View Post
I see so many seniors at local indian casinos so I assume this must be a popular activity for senior but I rarely see it mentioned as viable alternative to fishing, traveling, etc...

Why?
Are you asking why is it a popular activity or are you asking why is it rarely mentioned as a viable alternative to fishing, traveling, etc.?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2011, 10:28 AM
Status: "Support the Mining Law of 1872" (set 9 days ago)
 
Location: Cody, WY
9,577 posts, read 10,923,342 times
Reputation: 19205
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockproipi View Post
I see so many seniors at local indian casinos so I assume this must be a popular activity for senior but I rarely see it mentioned as viable alternative to fishing, traveling, etc...

Why?
People who patronize casinos on a regular basis are generally doing it to gamble. This is not a desirable activity; normal people consider it a vice. It's not the sort of image that most people wish to see;this is the reason we don't see it in mainstream publications.

Many people spend time in bars, a great deal of time. We don't see this presented as an worthwhile activity either. Normal people consider it a vice.

If people go out to dinner, have a bottle of wine, and gamble for a few minutes afterwards there's usually no problem. But an excess of either or both turns many thousands of people of all ages into despicable wretches.

I'm sure that if there were places where people went to use recreational drugs some would call that an "activity".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2011, 10:34 AM
 
4,649 posts, read 6,482,581 times
Reputation: 5394
If they earned it they can spend their money where they so choose. You can't take it with you and when left to someone else they are just going to blow it anyway. I say enjoy that retirement to the fullest within reason.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2011, 11:05 AM
 
Location: Lakewood OH
21,699 posts, read 23,664,674 times
Reputation: 35449
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockport View Post
I see so many seniors at local indian casinos so I assume this must be a popular activity for senior but I rarely see it mentioned as viable alternative to fishing, traveling, etc...

Why?
Why must anything be an alternative to anything else?

If you like to fish; fish. If you like to gamble; gamble. If you like to do both; good for you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2011, 11:10 AM
 
Location: New England
914 posts, read 1,582,491 times
Reputation: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockproipi View Post
I see so many seniors at local indian casinos so I assume this must be a popular activity for senior but I rarely see it mentioned as viable alternative to fishing, traveling, etc...

Why?
What else are they supposed to do with all that retirement money? Save it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2011, 11:54 AM
 
8,197 posts, read 11,913,206 times
Reputation: 17979
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
This is not a desirable activity; normal people consider it a vice. It's not the sort of image that most people wish to see;this is the reason we don't see it in mainstream publications.
LOL.

I think the majority of newspapers in the country publish point spreads and other gambling lines for football, basketball and even baseball.

Hell, we even have entire sports based on nothing but gambling. Or do you think people go to the Kentucky Derby and other horse races solely because they just like to see the pretty horses run around an oval track?

And I haven't even mentioned lottery tickets bought and sold in corner convenience stores in most cities and states throughout the country (but ironically not in Nevada) and the publication of lottery results in newspapers and the publicizing of winners on local and national tv networks.

But, you're right; gambling is not mainstream at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2011, 12:18 PM
 
15,149 posts, read 19,759,536 times
Reputation: 21324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
People who patronize casinos on a regular basis are generally doing it to gamble. This is not a desirable activity; normal people consider it a vice...
Many people spend time in bars, a great deal of time. We don't see this presented as an worthwhile activity either. Normal people consider it a vice....
If people go out to dinner, have a bottle of wine, and gamble for a few minutes afterwards there's usually no problem.
Well, I'm a normal person and I dont consider either of those activities a vice. How judgmental are you that you say "a few minutes" of gambling is ok? I live in an area where retirees take a bus to area casinos and spend the day there. If they want to lose a little $$$, or a lot, whose business is it? And, if I want to sit in my house and sip margaritas all day, whose business is it? Good grief...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-23-2011, 12:49 PM
 
Location: The Triad (NC)
28,496 posts, read 62,152,821 times
Reputation: 32177
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
And, if I want to sit in my house and sip margaritas all day, whose business is it? Good grief...

oooh margaritas
what a great idea !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top