U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 10:57 PM

25,463 posts, read 12,227,973 times

Advertisements

Yes, I would gladly go back to 30 years old and at my same job. It was shortly after that age that we made the mistake of moving from our home and investing in a dream (of someone else) and moving to a different city.

Both of us had high paying jobs, not career type, yet, and were beginning to make plans for our future. Made a big mistake and never did visualize 'our' dream. Consequently, we have had to struggle at times. Now we are both past retirement age, however, I still put in a few days a week at my profession. I do like what I do though.

Would go back but not forward in the same manner. NO way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2007, 11:24 AM

328 posts, read 947,687 times
Default Nope !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[quote=Dingler;1287145]I have to admit that I look at people who are 30 years old as being so lucky. They still look good, they are just getting into the best years of their life and they are starting to make good money in their careers.

If you could snap your finger and be 30 years old all over again, would you? Or would you rather be your current age and retired?[/QUO

If I went back I might get caught What's done is done I,m getting ready to retire in 2009...............Life today is good !!!!!
Spiritwalker

Old 08-17-2007, 02:24 PM

13,320 posts, read 25,569,771 times
The only thing I envy about being 30 is the ability to recover faster (and completely) from injuries and aches/pains. Oh, and being able to eat anything you want and not end up wearing it in flub.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:06 PM

19,872 posts, read 22,790,353 times
Nope. Happy where I am. Wouldnn't want to go back to 30 - and sure as heck wouldn't want to go back to 18.

Ken

Old 08-24-2007, 02:41 PM
kcm

68 posts, read 227,320 times
I wouldn't change any thing....and I have had some tough times... the hardest is seeing my kids go through things the hard way. Everyone learn's from everything that happen's in your life, so I consider the hardships and tribulations lessons. My kids have learned from theirs too... Now they are happy too.... All I have ever wanted in life is the happiness of my kids... one small change in any moment, might change the whole course of one's life and I am happy just the way I am.... with happy kids.
Life is what you make of it , learn from it, because you can't go back and change it anyway......
Look forward and make possitive changes that will make a difference in the future....

Old 08-28-2007, 08:22 AM

3,336 posts, read 12,649,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I have to admit that I look at people who are 30 years old as being so lucky. They still look good, they are just getting into the best years of their life and they are starting to make good money in their careers.

If you could snap your finger and be 30 years old all over again, would you? Or would you rather be your current age and retired?
Just retired, 30 years in law enforcement. I would love to do it again, it was a rush!

Old 09-08-2007, 09:53 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,549,169 times
Default Yes and No

I really like much of what 4StanleyCups wrote:

"If I could be 30 years old again but with the knowledge of my current late-50s self, I would do it but I would do certain critical things completely differently. That would in turn put me into some unknown/unknowable different life path than where I am today. Would it be a better or worse one? Impossible to know." Yes, yes. yes.

"Do I see people in their 30s as being luckier than I am? Only in the sense that they probably have more years in front of them than behind them." Yes, yes, yes.

And very important they are probably still healthy. I was an incredibly strong and healthy 30 year old and I would love to be there again - playing tennis, swimming, hiking and skiing. No such luck.

I also loved every minute of my job as a university professor - always got up looking forward to meeting my students. Like the former law enforcement person, I so enjoyed the rush.

And finally I would adore being able to raise my kids again. My husband and I loved every minute of it and now, since they live in other cities, we miss the physical nearness of them.

But I am enjoying my present life too. I garden, cook, travel a lot, knit, sew and read. Could be worse!

Old 09-10-2007, 01:05 PM

1,210 posts, read 1,106,677 times
Quote:
I have to admit that I look at people who are 30 years old as being so lucky. They still look good, they are just getting into the best years of their life and they are starting to make good money in their careers.

If you could snap your finger and be 30 years old all over again, would you? Or would you rather be your current age and retired?
NO WAY NO HOW, Not if I have to go back to work

Old 09-24-2007, 10:24 PM

5,849 posts, read 15,945,468 times
Quote:

In a heartbeat...oops, on the other hand, I had just delivered twins, was working full time and exhausted ALL the time...maybe not!!! I would like to have my 30-year-old joints back, though!

Old 09-25-2007, 05:11 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,828,923 times
Go back to 30? Not me? I was still learning what I did and did not like to do with my time. I spent much too much time doing things that other people told me were fun, but which I actually ended up hating. I spent way too much time getting friends out of trouble. I spent way too much time working overtime to impress a boss who eventually closed the business anyway.

Life has been getting better and better every year. My life may not look exciting to someone else, but I do things I enjoy all day long (garden, write, putter around the house, take long walks with my girlfriends, etc.) . Retirement is a good life
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or