U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 07:26 AM

121 posts, read 498,148 times

Advertisements

Absolutely positively NO WAY! I'm 55 and love this point in my life. And I wouldn't trade growing up in 50's and 60's America for anything!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 10:37 PM

430 posts, read 1,152,606 times
Nope, I wouldn't do it for anything. Instead I would be at home with my children....and NEVER work.

O.Nana

Old 10-03-2007, 03:23 PM

3,092 posts, read 3,452,016 times
I am 52 and in excellent health and shape (could stand to lose a few lbs., but I still like who I am). Given that, I would go back to 30 again because I have an impaired daughter who will be with us forever. I want to live as long as I possibly can to stay with her. I would insist on knowing what I know now though

Old 07-13-2011, 09:22 PM

1 posts, read 899 times
I am 30 years old and have enjoyed reading your comments. For a second, I thought I was too old to go towards my dreams. Most people have accomplished so much by this time and I'm still trying to play catch up. Thanks for the beautiful thoughts.

Old 07-13-2011, 11:09 PM

5,170 posts, read 8,694,591 times
Smile I would be 30 again

[quote=spiritwalker;1300255]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I have to admit that I look at people who are 30 years old as being so lucky. They still look good, they are just getting into the best years of their life and they are starting to make good money in their careers.

If you could snap your finger and be 30 years old all over again, would you? Or would you rather be your current age and retired?[/QUO

If I went back I might get caught What's done is done I,m getting ready to retire in 2009...............Life today is good !!!!!
Spiritwalker
I would love to be 30 again. At 30, I was doing better than I'm doing now.
I had the love of my life (husband but still do) and our daughter - I would love to relive those years again. Happy ones.

I was surprised at how many people are happy where they are in life. I mean, wouldn't you want to be 30 again and able to look good and have fun?

Old 07-14-2011, 01:44 AM

12,693 posts, read 14,077,853 times
Quote:
I have to admit that I look at people who are 30 years old as being so lucky. They still look good, they are just getting into the best years of their life and they are starting to make good money in their careers.

If you could snap your finger and be 30 years old all over again, would you? Or would you rather be your current age and retired?
Absolutely not want to be thirty, and certainly not in the present era!!!!

The best part of my life came after thirty, and I would hate to be the callow jerk I was at that age. Granted, I'd have lots of company, but I have thoroughly enjoyed and richly benefited from growing older.

Your desire seems to be based totally on money and looks, and it's is just exactly that sort of sh*t that one needs to get over by growing up and growing older.

Old 07-14-2011, 01:48 AM

12,693 posts, read 14,077,853 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annielf View Post
Absolutely positively NO WAY! I'm 55 and love this point in my life. And I wouldn't trade growing up in 50's and 60's America for anything!
I'm 73, and I'm right there with you despite the age difference.

It was a whole different country, and many of the experiences I had in life could never have been lived after 1980. Since 1980 we have been living in United States II, and like all sequels it ain't the original.

Thirty today! Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaack.

Old 07-14-2011, 06:56 AM

688 posts, read 864,549 times
[quote=Bette;20009378]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spiritwalker View Post

I would love to be 30 again. At 30, I was doing better than I'm doing now.
I had the love of my life (husband but still do) and our daughter - I would love to relive those years again. Happy ones.

I was surprised at how many people are happy where they are in life. I mean, wouldn't you want to be 30 again and able to look good and have fun?

i would never want to return to thirty although i have many good memories of that time, many of which revolve around my husband, who died nine years ago. aside from wishing to have my husband in my life again, i have no desire to return to a younger age. i loved the era when i grew up- fifties- and feel fortunate that i had a childhood when one could still enjoy being a child.
as far as looks are concerned, i look pretty good at this age (68 ), much of it due to genetics i think. i have more confidence than i ever did at thirty, and have done things i would never have thought about doing over thirty five years ago. i consider myself a survivor, and that is something that had not been tested in my life when i was thirty. i like who i am, who i have become , and given the perilous times in which we live, being younger holds no appeal.

catsy girl

Old 07-14-2011, 08:14 AM

9,580 posts, read 10,923,342 times
Quote:
If you could snap your finger and be 30 years old all over again, would you?
If I could be thirty years old thirty-eight years ago I'd do it instantly. My family was alive; my wife was alive. The world was my oyster. It was my world. I didn't like it as well as the Fifties or early Sixties but it was better than today's world of resignation and despair. Back then people still expected the next year to be better; it generally was.

Old 07-14-2011, 08:34 AM

4,178 posts, read 9,417,109 times
If I could go back to my 30's body, without the aches and pains, that would be fine. But I'd hate to be 30 in today's world. My kids are all in their 30's, and two are having a rip-roaring time, enjoying their lives and careers, hell-bent for leather and loving every second of it - while one is stuck in endless despair and self-pity, blaming everyone and everything for his choices and failures. I see a lot of the latter types of young adults, and not a lot of the former. Entitled, miserable, unemployed, underemployed, struggling to understand what happened to their parents' world - and not open to explanation, thought, or reason. Everything is sound bytes and promises, lies and obfuscations. They think that "Dumbazz" movies and Conan O'Brian, "Survivor" and "American Idol" are real and something to appreciate and admire. I'd hate to be that young and ignorant today, caught up in all of the little stuff that doesn't matter while ignoring the big stuff that does.

We changed our lives when we turned 50, stopped everything, sold everything, downsized, moved to a farm where we grow our own food, raise our own animals, left the big life and big city behind. We stopped sacrificing ourselves on everyone else's altruistic altars and started really living for ourselves. We are much happier and healthier, a lot quieter and more laid back, and frankly we simply don't give a s__t anymore about anything other than what we do here. I wish I'd done it when I was in my 30's, and was still young and strong and healthy. But to be in my 30's now? Um, no way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or