U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 02:51 PM

786 posts, read 4,318,782 times

Advertisements

I have to admit that I look at people who are 30 years old as being so lucky. They still look good, they are just getting into the best years of their life and they are starting to make good money in their careers.

If you could snap your finger and be 30 years old all over again, would you? Or would you rather be your current age and retired?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2007, 03:07 PM

289 posts, read 1,036,355 times
I'm not sure which part of the question to answer, because when I was 30 I was not yet at the "top of my career". I didn't get to that point until my mid to late 40s, BUT that was because I completely changed 'career paths' in my mid-30s. I retired at age 53. Was I at the "top of my career"? I guess some would say so. In any event it was my choice to bow out of it at that particular point although by some measurements I could have "stayed in and done better". But that wasn't what I wanted to do. I'd gotten to the "smell the roses" state of mind by then.

If I could be 30 years old again but with the knowledge of my current late-50s self, I would do it but I would do certain critical things completely differently. That would in turn put me into some unknown/unknowable different life path than where I am today. Would it be a better or worse one? Impossible to know.

If on the other hand I had to be 30 years old and repeat the same actions that I did then? Hell no, I wouldn't want to go through a lot of those things a second time -- so I'd take the here and now.

Do I see people in their 30s as being luckier than I am? Only in the sense that they probably have more years in front of them than behind them. Whether they all happen to have the wisdom or intelligence to make the best of those years is another question.... There are a lot of 30-yr-old total screwups out there. In fact I've met quite a few, and no I don't envy them at all. "Pity" is more the word that comes to mind.

Old 08-15-2007, 03:57 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,800,954 times
I like right where I am. I try to live my life so the present is wonderful but tomorrow even better, and so far that has pretty much been the case.

No regrets, none at all.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:31 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,247,596 times
No I would not be 30 years old again. Things in my life were stressful back then. I had kids at home, a job and I was taking classes. No I would much rather be retired.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:36 PM

253 posts, read 1,622,748 times
I am 33 right now, so going back to 30 wouldn't be much of a stretch for me. For the past several years, I've had this notion that age 34 would be the best year of my life. Not sure why. I'll find out next year!

Old 08-15-2007, 08:59 PM

799 posts, read 1,961,305 times
I won't be able to retire, because of my divorce. I don't have much to retire on. But if I had to do it over, I would not have married, nor would I have had kids, although I love my kids with all my heart....it hasn't been a good path for me.
Had I worked all those years, instead of staying home with my kids, I would not be struggling today.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:00 PM

13,784 posts, read 23,800,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twixcookie View Post
I won't be able to retire, because of my divorce. I don't have much to retire on. But if I had to do it over, I would not have married, nor would I have had kids, although I love my kids with all my heart....it hasn't been a good path for me.
Had I worked all those years, instead of staying home with my kids, I would not be struggling today.
Awww, that is really a shame. Perhaps your kids will surprise you and make your older years more pleasant and easy than you are anticipating.

Old 08-16-2007, 03:57 AM

104 posts, read 641,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I like right where I am. I try to live my life so the present is wonderful but tomorrow even better, and so far that has pretty much been the case.

No regrets, none at all.
Exactly how I feel! Very well put!!!

Old 08-16-2007, 05:42 AM

3,750 posts, read 9,599,239 times
I am way happier now and ready to retire in one year. We have saved a huge amount, invested well and will truly enjoy our retirement. At 30 I was in a high stress job and hubby had just started his corporate life. I am not sure we would want to do the same thing today. I am glad it is almost over.

Play time is what we want now. More time to enjoy life without sitting at desks to earn the right to retire.

Old 08-16-2007, 05:10 PM

13,314 posts, read 25,546,272 times
At 54, I look back and consider that I never had a "career," that is, in my mind, work that you do to accomplish that work, not only to make a living and get personal glory. At 30... I had been an RN for two years (after many odd jobs, and several years as a news editor) and I was planning a life of a year here, a year there, with my RN.
Forward 24 years, I have done a bunch of other things while my RN supports me (master's degree, Peace Corps [briefly- Haiti after Duvalier]) come and gone from the same hospital with a pension four times, and am currently viewing myself as a professional/technical person, but not with a career. I am a shift worker, I don't advance knowledge in the field. I do a good job but would happily never do it again if I could afford to stop working.
If anything, I'd wish to be a different/healthier person than I was in my 20s, when there were a number of interesting opportunities that I couldn't take advantage of due to my emotional/maturity state.
Don't like to wish to be older, it happens fast enough, but I do look forward to not working or working part-time (damned health insurance). I envy people with identified careers, but I'm not one of 'em. Save your money at any age and you have more choices. The first reason I ever articulated for not wanting kids was not wanting to be financially stuck. Conventional wisdom is "No one ever died wishing they'd spent more time at the office," but you know what, there are plenty of people, mostly women, who get older wishing they'd done something more practical about their financial futures.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or